Rourke released, Signed by Atlanta...and released again AND SIGNS WITH BC

Started by Blue In BC, July 28, 2024, 02:45:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue In BC

Quote from: The Zipp on August 13, 2024, 09:48:49 PMWhat is "marketing money" in this context?

They give him a big check for signing autographs and showing up at some nominal meet and greet. His picture will adorn bus and advertising promos.

I have no issue with players getting money for that but $200K is absurd.  Is there a limit to marketing money?
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: Blue In BC on August 13, 2024, 09:52:32 PMThey give him a big check for signing autographs and showing up at some nominal meet and greet. His picture will adorn bus and advertising promos.

I have no issue with players getting money for that but $200K is absurd.  Is there a limit to marketing money?

I'm good with it if we can do it too. We've got the marketing money to spend!

Pete

Someone needs to query Ambrosia on just how the marketing money works.Where are the so called cfl insiders/reporters
(I get other teams have used it, but with Rourke its simply abuse of the intent,)

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: Pete on August 13, 2024, 09:56:24 PMSomeone needs to query Ambrosia on just how the marketing money works.Where are the so called cfl insiders/reporters
(I get other teams have used it, but with Rourke its simply abuse of the intent,)

I think someone will quote it now that the article is out. I think each team has a certain amount they can spend on player marketing per year, if I remember right. It's definitely not a free for all or anything like that.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on August 13, 2024, 09:54:37 PMI'm good with it if we can do it too. We've got the marketing money to spend!

I think all teams have a few players getting some money for public appearances. The question is whether it creates an unbalanced playing field. That is the opposite of what the SMS is intended to do.  $200K is about 3.5% of the entire normal SMS.

Jefferson must get some money for public appearances. Oliveria as well. I doubt it's $200K. Probably closer to or below $20K?

Whether a team has money to burn is not the question. Not every team is profitable, so removing salary from SMS is a booking advantage for a team that does.

I suggest we re-negotiate Collaros to a $500K marketing bonus and only a $100K SMS contract. Would that be fair or allowed?

The league still has to approve the deal, although I think they will.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Waffler

Quote from: Blue In BC on August 13, 2024, 09:50:34 PMIMO there is something wrong with allowing a large amount of marketing money as part of any contract.

100% agree. You could pay any player the minimum and claim the rest of his money is for any no show job you could name (not related to football operations). It opens a back door regarding the cap. The whole point of the cap is to control costs by saying these are your total dollars to spend.
Buried in the essentially random digits of pi, you can find your eight-digit birthdate. (Is that a wink from God or just a lot of digits?) - David G. Myers

J5V

Don't forget, the Grey Cup is in BC this year. That's why they are panicking now and pushing Rourke to play. If he comes out playing poorly I imagine the fans will turn on him pretty quick. They were calling for Campbell's head just a few days ago.
Go Bombers!

gobombersgo

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on August 13, 2024, 09:59:03 PMI think someone will quote it now that the article is out. I think each team has a certain amount they can spend on player marketing per year, if I remember right. It's definitely not a free for all or anything like that.

From what I have heard there is no limit.

The Bombers are in the position to abuse the marketing money program the most but they seem to be reasonable with it so far. Schoen is getting 35k, Demiski 20k for example.

My question is whether teams need to show proof that players actually did anything to earn the money.

Chad Kelly was to be paid 100k in marketing money this season. Is he going to be paid that since he hasnt done anything?

The Zipp

Seems suspect to me but nobody will question it as it's Rourke and he is the great Canadian Hope - sick of him already

J5V

Quote from: The Zipp on August 13, 2024, 10:29:20 PMSeems suspect to me but nobody will question it as it's Rourke and he is the great Canadian Hope - sick of him already
LMAO! Me too!
Go Bombers!

DCM

Twitch Account: Here - Website: Here

Jesse

Quote from: gobombersgo on August 13, 2024, 10:21:38 PMFrom what I have heard there is no limit.

The Bombers are in the position to abuse the marketing money program the most but they seem to be reasonable with it so far. Schoen is getting 35k, Demiski 20k for example.

My question is whether teams need to show proof that players actually did anything to earn the money.

Chad Kelly was to be paid 100k in marketing money this season. Is he going to be paid that since he hasnt done anything?

There has to be a limit or we wouldn't have any of these "salary cap" casualties. We'd have just doubled our offers to Grant and Hardrick, etc.
My wife is amazing!

dd

Wow. Sick of him already and he hasn't taken a snap-and a Canadian no less!! He ll start vs us and light it up. Bad timing for us as we need to win to make up ground and after this weekend Edmonton could be tied with us!!

theaardvark

Well, Vernon Admams can sit back and relax now.  His contract is guaranteed (not sure how much playing time bonus he had) even if they wanted to cut him.  He will get a share of playoff money too.

No way he is back next year, so teams can back up the truck for him.

Rourke making $SMS + $200k non-$SMS does not seem kosher to me. 

I think we need to drop another 25-0 win on the Lions, give Rourke a welcome back.  He's been playing on little fields with fewer DB's.  And better Olines...

The boys will eat him alive.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Blue In BC

Re read the report and it said Adams won't be traded THIS year. That makes more sense. In the same way we would have wanted to keep Brown, the reality is that SMS is an issue. The # 2 QB wants to start etc etc.  So it take this to mean there is a good chance Adams is traded in the off season.

Still wondering if he hits the 6 game IR in the meantime to hedge the SMS challenge.
2019 Grey Cup Champions