Rourke released, Signed by Atlanta...and released again AND SIGNS WITH BC

Started by Blue In BC, July 28, 2024, 02:45:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blueforlife

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on August 13, 2024, 06:17:41 PMHe has also been on a football field for weeks on end in the states. I'm sure he his fine and game ready shape wise. He hasn't been sitting on a couch eating funions.
Never said he wasn't in shape
Never said he was eating funions
4 down ball vs 3
New players and plays- means he is not plug and play (they have to download his drivers, lol)
I would take the safe approach
I would protect my asset

ichabod_crane

Quote from: Blue In BC on August 13, 2024, 06:01:05 PMLions game plan will be adjusted once Rourke is ready to start. He'll some time to adjust to that and build chemistry with his receivers. He'll also better understand the limits of his OL. At the moment they are just names on the backs of the jerseys.

From a PR point of view they won't want to sign him, start him and see him do badly as a result.

Or they actually want to WIN! Not a must game, but a home game though and maybe play it up for the home fans...up to the coaches in the end unless owner sticks his nose in.

The Zipp

From farhan

Rourke will make 250k for the balance of the season and will be the highest paid player in @CFL in 2025 & 2026 at somewhere north of 600k. The 2 sides were in contact initially after he was cut by NYG. I don't believe his interest in the #NFL is over though. @CFLonTSN

ichabod_crane

I hate to say it, but some Chicken Littles on this forum afraid to cross the road!! :D

IF LIONS LOSE this coming game, they lose the season series to the Bombers and maybe lose first place in the end. So those are the reasons Rourke may get pushed in...If they had a nice cushion at the top of the West a different story.

Stats Junkie

Bob "The Moj" Marjanovich
@The_Real_Moj
Campbell tells us Rourke will take all of the starter's reps in practice this week. @BCLions #cfl
Twitter: @Stats_Junkie
Threads: statsjunkie71

The Zipp

The tricky situation would have been if VAJ was healthy and they start Rourke over him this week...Dolegala - there is no debate, Rourke needs to start.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Cool Spot on August 13, 2024, 06:09:10 PMPretty good guess, another option is Calgary. Maybe even Edmonton if Tre Ford doesn't pan out.

Calgary has Bonner in the background, keep expecting Dickie to put him in but he's still unwilling to give anyone other than Maier a chance to play.

peg_city

I can't imagine they will be able to afford both Rourke and Adams. That's a million dollars in quarterback spending next season. This season yes. Next season, no.

Also, this signing went from the lions being .500 to now being the best team in the west.

Blueforlife

Quote from: peg_city on August 13, 2024, 07:50:52 PMI can't imagine they will be able to afford both Rourke and Adams. That's a million dollars in quarterback spending next season. This season yes. Next season, no.

Also, this signing went from the lions being .500 to now being the best team in the west.
disagree, it will help them a great deal but jury is out if they are king

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: peg_city on August 13, 2024, 07:50:52 PMI can't imagine they will be able to afford both Rourke and Adams. That's a million dollars in quarterback spending next season. This season yes. Next season, no.

I'm not ready to crown them yet. Vernon Adams was also playing at a really high level for most of the season. He was pacing all quarterbacks in most categories over the first two months. How much of an upgrade will Rourke be over that? How will he look after spending a year in the NFL and not playing very much? He's a big name but still largely unproven in the CFL. The Lions can't have a dollar left in cap room. We'll see.

DCM

@FarhanLaljiTSN
The hard money in Rourke's deal for 2025 is $749k & 809k in 2026. 200k of that in each year is marketing money which does not count against the salary cap.

Some perspective on his 250k in 2024. I think the #BCLions could reasonably sell another 5k seats for Sunday's game just because of Rourke (they were trending to 29-30k before the announcement). If they do, at $50 per ticket, they'd immediately recover that 250k. In one game.
Twitch Account: Here - Website: Here

markf

Good to see that Rourke is back.  Doman gets things done.

So he plays. Pretty easy decision based on their qb play last few games.

I think some guys wasted years trying to play in the NFL  without catching on.

How long was Lirim chasing the NFL

Pigskin

Quote from: The Zipp on August 13, 2024, 06:25:13 PMFrom farhan

Rourke will make 250k for the balance of the season and will be the highest paid player in @CFL in 2025 & 2026 at somewhere north of 600k. The 2 sides were in contact initially after he was cut by NYG. I don't believe his interest in the #NFL is over though. @CFLonTSN

I would expect the Lions will have to make a roster adjustment to fit $250K into there cap.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

The Zipp

Quote from: DCM on August 13, 2024, 09:22:02 PM@FarhanLaljiTSN
The hard money in Rourke's deal for 2025 is $749k & 809k in 2026. 200k of that in each year is marketing money which does not count against the salary cap.

Some perspective on his 250k in 2024. I think the #BCLions could reasonably sell another 5k seats for Sunday's game just because of Rourke (they were trending to 29-30k before the announcement). If they do, at $50 per ticket, they'd immediately recover that 250k. In one game.

What is "marketing money" in this context?

Blue In BC

Quote from: Pigskin on August 13, 2024, 09:27:19 PMI would expect the Lions will have to make a roster adjustment to fit $250K into there cap.

I agree but wonder where they will make that adjustment. as I mentioned, they may choose to accept a big fine and loss of a draft pick.

However, 2025 will require more adjustments.  IMO there is something wrong with allowing a large amount of marketing money as part of any contract.

The big cities like Vancouver or Toronto have that potential but not the smaller cities like Regina or Winnipeg.

Either way, something has to give even at a $550K SMS hit in 2025.
2019 Grey Cup Champions