Rourke released, Signed by Atlanta...and released again AND SIGNS WITH BC

Started by Blue In BC, July 28, 2024, 02:45:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theaardvark

4 first downs last game.  4.

Rourke is supposedly getting all the first team snaps this week, makes sense over Dolegala. 

We will be getting a QB with jet lag, who is learning a different system than the two he's worked under so far this year, Adams was 8-17 with a pick, and 4 sacks, in 18:08 time on the field.

No crowd noise for our D to deal with (much as it upset the O, it can also affect the D)

I really think this will be a statement game for both side, and I like our chances...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

TBURGESS

Biggest game of the year for both teams so far. We win and we're 1 game back with the tie breaker. They win and we're 3 games back & they have the tie breaker. 

With Rourke, I'm sure they get more than 4 first downs and more than 0 points, but will they get enough points to win?

Should be like a playoff game in August. I'm really looking forward to it. 
Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.

Waffler

Rourke will be less of a factor than the entire BC team feeling embarrassed. They are going to play MUCH more physical than last time. Our advantage is the bye. Should be a war until the final whistle.

Buried in the essentially random digits of pi, you can find your eight-digit birthdate. (Is that a wink from God or just a lot of digits?) - David G. Myers

markf

Don't the Lions have some secondary players injured?

Should help the Bombers offence.

peg_city

Blue In BC

Quote from: markf on August 14, 2024, 02:11:10 PMDon't the Lions have some secondary players injured?

Should help the Bombers offence.

Yes they did have a couple of players injured. It wasn't clear whether they can play this week. Will have to see if the participate in practice this week.

Hard to say if Betts has any real chance of sticking even on a PR at the moment. Even if he is released, he's going to want a big salary. Any team will have a hard time fitting him into their SMS.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Blue In BC on August 13, 2024, 09:52:32 PMThey give him a big check for signing autographs and showing up at some nominal meet and greet. His picture will adorn bus and advertising promos.

I have no issue with players getting money for that but $200K is absurd.  Is there a limit to marketing money?

When the Bombers send Jake Thomas and Tanner Cadwallader to Churchill to read books, that is also an example of using marketing money.

Throw Long Bannatyne

I think Rourke starting this game is a clear sign of Amar Doman exerting his will directly on the lineup, it's his money and he's going to get what he wants every single time. Rick Campbell has no choice but to go along even if that isn't the ideal way to handle the situation.

I'd be surprised if Doman hasn't signed Rourke to a personal services contract which requires him to commit to the Lions for 3 years, even if that doesn't meet the requirements of  the CBA. Unlikely he allows Rourke the option of going back to the NFL after shelling out such a big investment in him.

markf

Maybe Why T.J. Lee looked a bit tentative last game

https://theprovince.com/sports/football/cfl/bc-lions/tj-lee-ready-to-suit-up-for-the-bc-lions

July 20.

Achilles last season.

"Neither player was expected to return before the end of August, with 10-12 months out being the expected timeline, but both are back to full practice and looking as sharp as they did when they left. Lee was lobbying defensive coordinator Ryan Phillips to put him in the lineup two weeks ago, yelling at him, "I'd die for this s–t!" as Phillips tried to conduct a post-practice media availability."

He Did not look like 100 % the other day.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on August 14, 2024, 04:31:13 PMI think Rourke starting this game is a clear sign of Amar Doman exerting his will directly on the lineup, it's his money and he's going to get what he wants every single time. Rick Campbell has no choice but to go along even if that isn't the ideal way to handle the situation.

I'd be surprised if Doman hasn't signed Rourke to a personal services contract which requires him to commit to the Lions for 3 years, even if that doesn't meet the requirements of  the CBA. Unlikely he allows Rourke the option of going back to the NFL after shelling out such a big investment in him.

I doubt there is anything that disallows Rourke from exploring his NFL option in 2025. He may choose not to but IMO he will still have that option.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Jesse

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on August 14, 2024, 04:31:13 PMI think Rourke starting this game is a clear sign of Amar Doman exerting his will directly on the lineup, it's his money and he's going to get what he wants every single time. Rick Campbell has no choice but to go along even if that isn't the ideal way to handle the situation.

Wow. First of all, if I'm the head coach and I have to choose between starting Rourke or Dolegala, I don't need any pressure from my owner to put Rourke in.

Secondly, the first thing reported was that the NFL was still a priority for Rourke. He will absolutely be given the opportunity to explore his options after the CFL season. Couldn't stop him if they tried.
My wife is amazing!

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Jesse on August 14, 2024, 05:05:22 PMWow. First of all, if I'm the head coach and I have to choose between starting Rourke or Dolegala, I don't need any pressure from my owner to put Rourke in.

Secondly, the first thing reported was that the NFL was still a priority for Rourke. He will absolutely be given the opportunity to explore his options after the CFL season. Couldn't stop him if they tried.

You might have a point with the first one, but I honestly don't think the second is valid.  No way Rourke goes to the NFL for another look see and comes back to the Lions in late Aug. or Sept. especially if V.A. is gone in the offseason. Doman is going to want a return on his investment and he won't be getting it if the Lions start next season off with a no-name QB.

Jesse

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on August 14, 2024, 05:31:24 PMYou might have a point with the first one, but I honestly don't think the second is valid.  No way Rourke goes to the NFL for another look see and comes back to the Lions in late Aug. or Sept. especially if V.A. is gone in the offseason. Doman is going to want a return on his investment and he won't be getting it if the Lions start next season off with a no-name QB.

He'll still have the NFL window like any other player. Maybe he gets a contract offer that he shots his shot for, maybe it's one of those try out deals with no signing bonus that he turns down. But he'll have the option of trying. There no way around it.
My wife is amazing!

Sir Blue and Gold

He'd go back in a second if he gets a real offer. I assume he's very frustrated with the Falcons bringing him in a couple days before the game, trotting him out there in the fourth and then cutting him a few hours later. That's not a scenario anyone could succeed in probably.

Pete

Only way rourke goes is if he gets an actual contract offer, hes do
ne the merry go round already