Rourke released, Signed by Atlanta...and released again AND SIGNS WITH BC

Started by Blue In BC, July 28, 2024, 02:45:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: theaardvark on August 19, 2024, 04:28:17 PMBrice did better in one drive than Rourke did all night... just saying.

Points after beatdown, sure.  But still.

We shut down VA, we shut down Rourke.

Next.

No need to get cocky, 3 rookies, Taylor Powell, Jake Dolegala and Justin Crum beat them last year when they were flying higher. I'm afraid, any result is plausible in the CFL.

The Zipp

Bet Rourke is looking at the Buffalo Bills right now and kicking himself. 

J5V

Quote from: ModAdmin on August 19, 2024, 09:45:41 PMI was talking to one of the Bombers last night before the game and mentioned to him, "You are going to have to face Nathan Rourke tonight".  His response, "No, Rourke is going to have to face us!"

Thought is was a pretty good response and a great attitude to have.  And, the Bomber player was proven right!
That is a jaw dropping response and shows the dominant attitude of this defense. Thanks very much for sharing that. That is freaking awesome and I love it!
Go Bombers!

theaardvark

Quote from: ModAdmin on August 19, 2024, 09:45:41 PMI was talking to one of the Bombers last night before the game and mentioned to him, "You are going to have to face Nathan Rourke tonight".  His response, "No, Rourke is going to have to face us!"

Thought is was a pretty good response and a great attitude to have.  And, the Bomber player was proven right!

Some trepidation about Younger early on, but its looking like the transition is complete, and the padowan has taken over from the master...

This is a TEAM defence.  Missing vital cogs, and still producing at an unbelievably high level.  This team is the epitome of next man up, and the scouts have put the pieces in place for success.

Hope we can keep them together...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

The Zipp

Remember when Farhan said Rourke was a top 20 QB in the world??   He isn't even the best QB in the CFL.

I don't think it's gonna happen but coach suggested going back to VAJ. 

The BC Lions could be looking to pivot back to quarterback Vernon Adams Jr. after their 34-27 loss to the Ottawa Redblacks on Saturday night, according to head coach Rick Campbell.

https://www.tsn.ca/cfl/bc-lions-hc-rick-campbell-unsure-about-starter-for-week-13-rematch-with-ottawa-redblacks-1.2165672

theaardvark

Have to admit, when I saw this thread at the top of the forum, and the fir words are "Rourke Released", my mind went to the place you'd think it would after 2 dismal performances with multiple turnovers...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: The Zipp on August 25, 2024, 04:57:48 PMRemember when Farhan said Rourke was a top 20 QB in the world??  He isn't even the best QB in the CFL.

I don't think it's gonna happen but coach suggested going back to VAJ. 

Clearly Rourke needs time to get back to 2022 levels.  He pretty much can't do that unless he's starting games.  If they make him #2 then he won't be any good until next year.  Now, you could make a great cup run with VAJ -- but will VAJ win that big game or choke?

Rourke will lose you some games now, but hopefully be winning come post-season.

It's a tough call!  And they are in a huge bind because they've already signed & paid Rourke for multi-years.
Never go full Rider!

J5V

Quote from: TecnoGenius on August 26, 2024, 01:28:25 AMClearly Rourke needs time to get back to 2022 levels.  He pretty much can't do that unless he's starting games.  If they make him #2 then he won't be any good until next year.  Now, you could make a great cup run with VAJ -- but will VAJ win that big game or choke?

Rourke will lose you some games now, but hopefully be winning come post-season.

It's a tough call!  And they are in a huge bind because they've already signed & paid Rourke for multi-years.
and they are hosting the Grey Cup this year. Next year is no good.
Go Bombers!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: J5V on August 26, 2024, 01:36:03 AMand they are hosting the Grey Cup this year. Next year is no good.

Good point.  But my point is more that Rourke could probably be up to speed and a world-beater by post-season if they give him all these games to get practice.  But then they probably won't win the W in the reg season...

I do think Rourke gives them better odds than VAJ in the post-season and the big game.

But they do have to consider making the playoffs with such a tight West... and I know they really don't want to play any SF/DF in the cold.

They have tough decisions to make!
Never go full Rider!

J5V

Quote from: TecnoGenius on August 26, 2024, 01:52:28 AMGood point.  But my point is more that Rourke could probably be up to speed and a world-beater by post-season if they give him all these games to get practice.  But then they probably won't win the W in the reg season...

I do think Rourke gives them better odds than VAJ in the post-season and the big game.

But they do have to consider making the playoffs with such a tight West... and I know they really don't want to play any SF/DF in the cold.

They have tough decisions to make!
Is Adams healthy enough to play and even if he is how long until he's hurt again? If I'm Rick Campbell I'm going with Rourke all the way. I'm not sure BC's problems are Rourke related anyway. Their defense sucks and they had a soft schedule to start the season. Like Calgary, I think they fade away.
Go Bombers!

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: J5V on August 26, 2024, 02:17:09 AMIs Adams healthy enough to play and even if he is how long until he's hurt again? If I'm Rick Campbell I'm going with Rourke all the way. I'm not sure BC's problems are Rourke related anyway. Their defense sucks and they had a soft schedule to start the season. Like Calgary, I think they fade away.

Agree, it was not as if Rourke was the final piece they needed, the Lions are not on track to win the GC this season even if it's at home.  They might squeak out an appearance if they get lucky but they'll most likely fall short.

GOLDMEMBER

Rourke has not been the same since his injury. Could still be re-acclimated jitters but boy he looks so very uncomfortable. This knowing he has a good team around him to boot.

I start VAJ if healthy next week. If he stinks to there could a real problem in BC.
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on August 26, 2024, 02:30:14 AMAgree, it was not as if Rourke was the final piece they needed, the Lions are not on track to win the GC this season even if it's at home.  They might squeak out an appearance if they get lucky but they'll most likely fall short.

You sure that's not just recency bias speaking?  Think back to how they looked in their first 5 wins.  They looked like nothing could stop them.  The first 6 weeks of CFL it was looking like a BC/MTL GC.

BC probably wasn't as good as their start.  But they certainly aren't as bad as their last 5 games.  I consider them the main contenders for us to face in the WDF, and it will be hard to beat them for the 3rd year in a row.  That's the same situation as we overcame when we finally beat CGY in '19 WDF...
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on August 26, 2024, 02:45:24 AMRourke has not been the same since his injury. Could still be re-acclimated jitters but boy he looks so very uncomfortable. This knowing he has a good team around him to boot.

I start VAJ if healthy next week. If he stinks to there could a real problem in BC.

If you start VAJ then it'll be VAJ all the way into the post-season.  They can't keep see-sawing.  It's a big commitment after blowing the wad this year and '25/'26 on Rourke.  Then you have a huge problem if VAJ gets you to the GC!!

There is a massive political/future element to these choices!  You can't just think about the '25 GC!  If you do, you have a major dilemma in the off-season...  If you roll with Rourke now, you have no dilemma; you just trade VAJ away after the season.
Never go full Rider!

Pete

one of the factors that may be in play is that the defenses are a lot more aggressive than a few years ago when he was putting up the big numbers. No quarterback is dominating.  Adams was the best candidate over the first 6 games but then he hit a wall as defences adjusted.