Official Game Day Thread - Sask. at Winnipeg, (Banjo Bowl) September 7, 2024

Started by ModAdmin, September 06, 2024, 04:30:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Throw Long Bannatyne

Waffler

Great post Tecno. Confirms what I saw originally, dirty and intentional. Really hoping Edmonton gets third place now and that some action is taken by the league.
Buried in the essentially random digits of pi, you can find your eight-digit birthdate. (Is that a wink from God or just a lot of digits?) - David G. Myers

markf

Is there any way to see a replay of a CFL game with the view of the full field?

It would be nice for fans that like to analyze the games. Like a lot of the people here.

Thanks for the analysis and photos of the play on streveller.

Opponents have been late hit and dirty hitting him all season often without penalty. Pulling and twisting his legs....

Last game a guy clearly gave him a headshot. After he was down. Lined it up.  No call. Streveller didn't even shrug... he's so used to it. Got up and left the field.

Defensive  players are going to notice that it's open season and act accordingly.

Really stupid outmoded stuff in the CFL  in this department.

When was the last time a player was ejected?

dd

Ya I didn't buy Brown saying he was being held or pushed into Strevy....it was him and him alone that decided to make contact....and just look at Strevy's ankle and knee on the hit...yikes, that's brutal. If the league doesn't suspend him, there is no justice in the CFL and player safety is a complete joke. Two time offender, within a week, suspension is an absolute must, I m thinking 2 games would be right. Right now, Brown isn't taking ownership in either infraction, that's unacceptable. Sorry Mr Brown, but you are a dirty player.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: TBURGESS on September 09, 2024, 03:09:33 PMThe hit clearly initiates above the knee. That's the blow in the rules.

True

Quote from: TBURGESS on September 09, 2024, 03:09:33 PMA blow is the initial hit or a punch or a flipper. It's not wrapping up.

Ok, one could argue that, and it may be valid.

Quote from: TBURGESS on September 09, 2024, 03:09:33 PMAn arm wrap isn't a penalty. It's good tackling form.

It could be if the arm wrap was considered UR.  Remember, UR can constitute nearly anything "unnecessary".  There's a lot of leeway for refs and command and the league in there.

If your arms wrap results in an "arm bar" type, martial-arts type joint-destroying move, then I would argue that certainly falls under UR.

Quote from: TBURGESS on September 09, 2024, 03:09:33 PMBeing pushed isn't a factor.

True.

Quote from: TBURGESS on September 09, 2024, 03:09:33 PMApplying your full weight isn't a penalty, it's how you tackle well.

"Full weight" is literally right in the rule I quoted.  The only question is does it only apply when you are pancaking someone, or can it apply when you are thrusting forward perpendicularly?  It's ambiguous enough I would apply it here as well.  How much of Brown's weight was going through Strev's leg once you factor in his momentum?

Let's all remember that Strevie was 100% in the pocket when this occurred and as such receives a ton of the more "traditional" protection, and moves that injure him should and will receive a lot more scrutiny.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on September 09, 2024, 08:49:35 PMHere's another photo taken from Strev's left side.

Great additional pic!!  We didn't get that angle on TSN.

Ouch, I was worried there may have been some twisting too.  And there was!  Twisting ankle, and now also bowing of the lower leg outwards unnaturally.

There's 3 things that may now be messed up in Strev's knee/ankle.  Even worse than first imagined.

No way there isn't additional punishment for Miles Clown.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Why am I the only one saying this is similar to the Marino-Masoli hit that got a suspension and eventual expulsion?

In Marino's case, it wasn't the initial "blow" that got him suspended (even though it was a foul below the knee), it was his follow-up arm wrap, grabbing and pressing into Masoli with his full weight that got him suspended.

I see no difference here.  He's purposely applying his full weight and force into the leg when he doesn't have to be, and he continues with a lot of follow-through.  Not as much as Marino, but enough to cripple Strevie.
Never go full Rider!

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: TecnoGenius on September 09, 2024, 09:44:46 PMWhy am I the only one saying this is similar to the Marino-Masoli hit that got a suspension and eventual expulsion?

In Marino's case, it wasn't the initial "blow" that got him suspended (even though it was a foul below the knee), it was his follow-up arm wrap, grabbing and pressing into Masoli with his full weight that got him suspended.

I see no difference here.  He's purposely applying his full weight and force into the leg when he doesn't have to be, and he continues with a lot of follow-through.  Not as much as Marino, but enough to cripple Strevie.

I still recall Marino's signature move vividly, it was a full wrap followed by a deliberate twist, didn't see the deliberate twist in this case.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on September 09, 2024, 09:52:59 PMI still recall Marino's signature move vividly, it was a full wrap followed by a deliberate twist, didn't see the deliberate twist in this case.

I don't remember the twist... What I remember is him crushing Masoli's shins by pulling the lowest part of his leg while putting his full weight through the shins/knees.

And I thought Marino wrapped both legs together with both arms, not each leg separately.  Harder to twist if you're wrapping both legs?  I guess you could twist both as a unit but that should cause less injury than twisting just one leg?

I wonder if I still have it on the PVR... or if someone has a link?

Edit: I do kind of remember a twist once Masoli was already on the turf... Marino definitely continued the injurious pressure way longer than Brown did.  So that itself may help Brown get a lesser punishment.
Never go full Rider!

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on September 09, 2024, 08:49:35 PMHere's another photo taken from Strev's left side.

Techno, since you have a Riderfans account can you please post this image on their forum to shut those monkeys up. Thanks!

theaardvark

If he's being pushed, how does he arm wrap, and how is that a "tackle" when the QB has already released the ball, and you are wrapping below the knee?

Its buloney, and he's got to be on a repeat offenders list.  Knocking 3 QB's out of games is NOT an accident.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Blue In BC

Quote from: TecnoGenius on September 09, 2024, 12:44:25 AMFatboi does often have trouble shedding blocks, then again so does almost all our DL, and even LBers when plugging holes.  We haven't had a great shedder since probably Stove.  I guess Sayles was good too.

I don't hold it against him if he's being double-teamed... but we could, of course, wish he could better shed 1-on-1 blocks for running plays.

There were a few plays in the 4th (I think) where SSK was getting some good ground pounding going: I'll have to rewatch to see if Fatboi was any less useful than the other guys.  The fact that Hickson was getting a few 10s means that the whole DL was failing...

Well that's kind of the issue about not being able to shed blocks. We watch games where good DL shed blocks and even push two blockers back into the pocket towards the QB.

Being engaged by the RT & RG while the RB runs through the A gap over his right shoulder is a failure. Obviously rushing 3 DL doesn't help. Rushing 4 DL against 5 OL and possibly a FB or TE doesn't help.

If engaging 2 OL is intended to free up another rusher from the DL or a blitz from a LB or DB, that's great.

That's not what we're seeing because we're not getting to the QB.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

TecnoGenius

"Techno, since you have a Riderfans account can you please post this image on their forum to shut those monkeys up. Thanks!"

I've vowed not to post on WPG threads there.  It serves no purpose because then no one there will ever listen to me.  My main goal @Riderfans is to highlight things that are league-wide issues that all fans can get on board with (like the "new command center").

Some people there do read here.  They'll see the pics.  If they choose to ignore them, then that's on them.
Never go full Rider!

Blue In BC

Well that sucks. Streveler is a great team guy that inspires the team. He can still do that on the sidelines but losing him changes the team.

How this shakes out for our # 2 and # 3 spot will take a few weeks even if we sign new QB's today. Leaning the playbook will take some time. Having the extra few days in the bye may help if we manage that today or tomorrow?
2019 Grey Cup Champions