Official Game Day Thread - Sask. at Winnipeg, (Banjo Bowl) September 7, 2024

Started by ModAdmin, September 06, 2024, 04:30:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J5V

Quote from: TBURGESS on September 17, 2024, 02:08:13 PMWrapping up is what you want tacklers to do, so that's not a penalty.
"Wrapping up" doesn't tear three ligaments in a QB's knee. That takes a deliberate, focused attempt to injure. Defend him all you want. The guy is a dirty scumbag.
Go Bombers!

TBURGESS

Quote from: J5V on September 17, 2024, 07:47:46 PM"Wrapping up" doesn't tear three ligaments in a QB's knee. That takes a deliberate, focused attempt to injure. Defend him all you want. The guy is a dirty scumbag.
It did in this case.

BTW It looks like you agree with me. It was a penalty and a max fine based on the results.
Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: TBURGESS on September 17, 2024, 02:08:13 PMWrapping up is what you want tacklers to do, so that's not a penalty.

It was a penalty and a max fine based on the results & I'm fine with that.

But it wasn't, because the flag was thrown before it was clear to anyone Strevie was hurt.  It was a very fast flag, not one of those "I'm thinking about it" flags.  The ref saw something in the act itself he thought was a foul.  (The fine: yes, that factored in the results, and past history.)

To me it boils down to the gist of the UR/RTP rules: could Brown have done something, anything, to avoid crippling Strev?  The answer is certainly yes.  He could have not made the "jump" into him, he could have not made the final body-straightening leg-push, he could have let go of his shin earlier (or not wrapped it at all), he could have tried to wrap both legs together instead of them separately.

If he does any of those things then Strev probably has less injury.  None of those things was "necessary", thus they were "unnecessary".

The message is simple: do whatever it takes to not cripple QBs knees/ankles and not concuss them.

Yes, it's a bit unfair, and yes, it's a big and near impossible ask.  But it is no longer an "ask", it's a demand.  Pass rushers need to find a way.  No one liked seeing Masoli get Marinoed, and no one (except SSK fans) liked seeing Strev get Browned.  The league wants to make sure it doesn't happen again.
Never go full Rider!

Waffler

Quote from: TecnoGenius on September 17, 2024, 09:49:01 PMThe message is simple: do whatever it takes to not cripple QBs knees/ankles and not concuss them.

Yes, it's a bit unfair, and yes, it's a big and near impossible ask.  But it is no longer an "ask", it's a demand.  Pass rushers need to find a way.  No one liked seeing Masoli get Marinoed, and no one (except SSK fans) liked seeing Strev get Browned.  The league wants to make sure it doesn't happen again.

I believe the only way is make high and low pocket tackles (with force, not glancing blows) automatic ejections. It would get rare pretty fast.
Buried in the essentially random digits of pi, you can find your eight-digit birthdate. (Is that a wink from God or just a lot of digits?) - David G. Myers

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Waffler on September 17, 2024, 09:52:06 PMI believe the only way is make high and low pocket tackles (with force, not glancing blows) automatic ejections. It would get rare pretty fast.

And automatic fines.

However, based on your wording, would the Brown/Zach and Brown/Strev hits qualified?

The problem is guys like Zach can't take even glancing blows to the head.  Any sudden twist or rotation is enough to give him concussion-like effects.  I still swear the league missed that hands-leading one that left him KO'd on the turf a few weeks back.

I would set the standard to any hit that makes the head move quickly (including rotation) is a penalty fine.  I would install G meters in every QB helmet.
Never go full Rider!