Official Game Day Thread - Sask. at Winnipeg, (Banjo Bowl) September 7, 2024

Started by ModAdmin, September 06, 2024, 04:30:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BBRT

Quote from: theaardvark on September 13, 2024, 01:51:10 PMA legal hit that leaves a player injured, no fine.

An illegal hit, that draws a flag, and puts a player into a situation where he can suffer a potentially career ending injury, pretty sure that's what the fines are for.  Whether he sustains the injury, or walks off.
Based on everything I could see or find the hit while probably worth a penality which he got. However based on all the video I watched I do not think this was an attempt to injure

gobombersgo

Quote from: BBRT on September 13, 2024, 07:35:13 PMBased on everything I could see or find the hit while probably worth a penality which he got. However based on all the video I watched I do not think this was an attempt to injure

This is where I stand as well for the most part.

It looks like Brown's initial point of contact was higher up on the leg but I dont think he needed to hug Strevy's knee however.

gobombersgo

The hit is at the start of this video, and it doesnt look like Brown was pushed into Strevy.

J5V

Brown has rolled up on the back of one QB's leg injuring him, hit another QB in the head causing him to miss the second half of a game, and has now torn 3 ligaments in yet another QB's knee that is likely season ending. Is it just a coincidence that this same player has been in on all three of these QB injuries? Wouldn't three QB's in a row suggest a pattern of deliberate intent to injure? How many QBs would have to go down before you changed your mind? We're at three. Would five do it? How about nine?
Go Bombers!

Pigskin

This is a very bad injury. Chris has a very long road to recovery ahead of him.   
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

J5V

Quote from: Pigskin on September 13, 2024, 07:57:55 PMThis is a very bad injury. Chris has a very long road to recovery ahead of him.   
Agreed. In the NHL it took a long time and many legal battles to finally force that league to deal with the predatory players that were feasting on it's stars. The CFL in concert with the Player's Association need to wake up and act on this now!
Go Bombers!

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: gobombersgo on September 13, 2024, 07:38:42 PMThis is where I stand as well for the most part.

It looks like Brown's initial point of contact was higher up on the leg but I dont think he needed to hug Strevy's knee however.
Weight transferred directly to the knee.

bunker

One episode of an RFP where you put a QB out of the game can be a one off. Two? Starting to look suspicious, but possibly just a coincidence. Three? In 13 games? That's a pattern. How many times has Jake Thomas put a QB out of the game with a rough hit in 13 seasons? Or even looking a fellow rider DT, how many times has Micah Johnson done it in 11 seasons? And yet we are supposed to believe that its accidental that Brown has done it 3 times in 13 games? Call me skeptical.

There is a spectrum in terms of player intent. On one end, players purposely hold up on contact to minimize the chance of injuring another player. On the other end of the spectrum, the "Marino" end, players intentionally increase the force and nature of the contact to try and intentionally injure. In between there are shades of grey, but I think Brown is getting pretty close to the Marino end with this last hit on Strev's knee. The hit on Strev's left knee is clearly low. At the very least, he was reckless and showed a disregard for whether his hit would inure another player. At the worse, he knew what he was doing and was aiming for causing some damage.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Pete on September 13, 2024, 07:27:03 PMDoes it feel like the league is delaying the announcement of fines/suspensions this week in hopes of some of the furor on both sides dying down? No matter what they decide on the Brown situation there will be large criticism.
I know both teams are on byes but surely there was a fine or two in the other games,

Riderfans think fines might be announced Friday now that Thurs games are over.  Maybe the limiting factor on the deadlines is making sure the announcement comes out before the first game of the week?  That would mean we could still hear of the punishments anytime today before 9pm CDT.

You also make a good point about the SSK/WPG byes: maybe the league can wait until just before a SSK or WPG game, which would give them a whole extra week to stew on it.

And your final point is important: why no notice at all?  Every week there is at least 1 fine, almost without exception.  And if there was a 0 fine week, wouldn't they put out a "no fines this week" notice?
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: bunker on September 13, 2024, 08:50:21 PMOne episode of an RFP where you put a QB out of the game can be a one off. Two? Starting to look suspicious, but possibly just a coincidence. Three? In 13 games? That's a pattern. How many times has Jake Thomas put a QB out of the game with a rough hit in 13 seasons? Or even looking a fellow rider DT, how many times has Micah Johnson done it in 11 seasons? And yet we are supposed to believe that its accidental that Brown has done it 3 times in 13 games? Call me skeptical.

Let's take intent out of it.  I'm not even sure the league takes it into account?  Hard to prove intent.  And we don't need it to condemn Brown.  Riderfans especially gets caught up on intent.  So forget intent.

Let's say Brown doesn't intend to injure.  What are we left with?  We're left with a player who is reckless and without control of his body or actions.  Like bunker says, Fatboi and Micah don't maim QBs, despite being in 100+ more games than Brown.  Why?  Because they are smart enough to control their bodies and ease up every time they can.  There is no doubt Brown could have done things to reduce the injury to Strev.  Things that Fatboi & Micah would probably have done if it was them.

And how is Brown going to learn this?  By ever increasing punishment.  I don't think that thick plank will ever get the plot until he is starting to get game suspensions.  We don't have to know or prove he is "dirty", we just need to acknowledge he's reckless and out of control.  And if something isn't done, he's going to take out a 4th QB before the season is done (and Riderfans will be perfectly fine with that too).

For this reason the league needs to keep tacking on additional punishment.
Never go full Rider!

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: TecnoGenius on September 13, 2024, 09:26:23 PMRiderfans think fines might be announced Friday now that Thurs games are over.  Maybe the limiting factor on the deadlines is making sure the announcement comes out before the first game of the week?  That would mean we could still hear of the punishments anytime today before 9pm CDT.

You also make a good point about the SSK/WPG byes: maybe the league can wait until just before a SSK or WPG game, which would give them a whole extra week to stew on it.

And your final point is important: why no notice at all?  Every week there is at least 1 fine, almost without exception.  And if there was a 0 fine week, wouldn't they put out a "no fines this week" notice?

Appears there was no fines announced this week??? Can't recall that ever happening before, maybe the players are getting the message!  :D

Pete

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on September 14, 2024, 05:19:38 PMAppears there was no fines announced this week??? Can't recall that ever happening before, maybe the players are getting the message!  :D
not sure about the players, I think the cfl is staying quiet cause they dont want to draw more attention to themselves in a controversial way

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Pete on September 14, 2024, 07:12:43 PMnot sure about the players, I think the cfl is staying quiet cause they dont want to draw more attention to themselves in a controversial way

Is the CFL really worried about disgruntled Riderfans?  One read of their forum confirms half are conspiracy nuts thinking the league and the officials are conspiring against them. They should change the name of that site to "Whackos Galore".