Rourke released, Signed by Atlanta...and released again AND SIGNS WITH BC

Started by Blue In BC, July 28, 2024, 02:45:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ichabod_crane

Quote from: Tiger on August 08, 2024, 04:51:40 PMNot to mention taxes. When Rourke was in FL he probably did not pay any.

The problem was he had to live at Mar-a-lago with the orangutan! :D
Quote from: Tiger on August 08, 2024, 04:51:40 PMNot to mention taxes. When Rourke was in FL he probably did not pay any.

Will not matter in a few decades possibly as Florida will be all underwater! Better sell your properties there soon or go scuba diving to see them in time!! :D ;)

ichabod_crane

Quote from: The Zipp on August 08, 2024, 05:15:35 PMyou will never be able to equate the CFL and NFL...different leagues, different circumstances, different scope and scale.  Us fans of both the CFL and NFL are the lucky ones - we have football to watch from June to February!!  People who scoff at either league are the ones losing out on entertainment.

I am so excited for the NFL season!!

Exactly. If you are a North American football fan, you can enjoy both leagues. I do think the Canadian game can and is more exciting usually, but the money involved down south is insane. Lots of over hype in reality, but that is just the way it is.

peg_city

Quote from: J5V on August 08, 2024, 01:29:43 AMSo, just spitballin' here ...

Salary Cap = $5.585 million
45 players per team
Minimum salary = $70,000, players also get revenue sharing
$5.585M / 45 =  $124,111 per player

If a QB is paid $600,000 ...
44 players
$5.585M-$600,000 = $4.985M
$4.985 / 44 = $113,296 per player

Just paying a QB $600K costs $11,000 per player for the remaining 44 players. You can see pretty quickly that if you start paying out some big contracts besides the QB that the average per player is going to drop below $100K fast. To do what you propose and to consider the exchange rate on the American Greenback, you'd easily need at least another $500,000 to $1,000,000. A $6.1 to 6.5M cap might get you close.

I think players on the 1 game injured list as well as the 4(?) non-dressed count towards the salary cap. So we are probably looking 5.585 million / between 50-55 players.

theaardvark

Why should a QB make 5 times what an MLB makes?

And if a QB can't even stick on an NFL PR, why should they get paid the same as a QB on an NFL PR?  Of course they should be paid less than an NFL PR rate.  $600k is more than generous for a CFL QB, and they should actually have a single player cap of $600k to prevent teams for spending $700k-900K when someone like Rourke comes along.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

J5V

Quote from: theaardvark on August 08, 2024, 09:10:38 PMWhy should a QB make 5 times what an MLB makes?

And if a QB can't even stick on an NFL PR, why should they get paid the same as a QB on an NFL PR?  Of course they should be paid less than an NFL PR rate.  $600k is more than generous for a CFL QB, and they should actually have a single player cap of $600k to prevent teams for spending $700k-900K when someone like Rourke comes along.
I can't disagree with this statement strongly enough. Let the market determine what the players earn. More money in the Canadian game is going to attract better talent and heighten competition for spots.
Go Bombers!

ichabod_crane

If teams want to go down the prior mega failure situation with Mike Reily that BC had many years ago, be prepared to shortchange the rest of your squad and ESPECIALLY Offensive line. That QB getting mega donnaros better be the second coming of Doug Flutie or Warren Moon to gamble so much cap salary on one player! :)

Tiger

[quote  ; ;D  ;D D =ichabod_crane link=msg=1632606 date=1723139602]
The problem was he had to live at Mar-a-lago with the orangutan! :D
Will not matter in a few decades possibly as Florida will be all underwater! Better sell your properties there soon or go scuba diving to see them in time!! :D ;)
[/quote]

;D  ;D Would never buy there!  You can't get insurance for your house south of I-10 and too many crazies.  Maybe Sonesta Key, Coral Gables or Miami.
Football is easy if you're crazy as hell
Bo Jackson

We are inclined to think that if we watch a football game or a baseball game, we have taken part in it
John Fitzgerald Kennedy

BC Sucks
Tiger

ichabod_crane

Quote from: J5V on August 08, 2024, 09:42:43 PMI can't disagree with this statement strongly enough. Let the market determine what the players earn. More money in the Canadian game is going to attract better talent and heighten competition for spots.

You seem to be forgetting there is a LIMITED Salary CAP, so blowing a lot of your cap room on one player is not smart cap management UNLESS you have a Doug Flutie or Warren Moon as your QB who can win games practically by himself. Unlimited Cap or a VERY HIGH CAP then that's a different story.

J5V

Quote from: ichabod_crane on August 08, 2024, 10:18:43 PMYou seem to be forgetting there is a LIMITED Salary CAP, so blowing a lot of your cap room on one player is not smart cap management UNLESS you have a Doug Flutie or Warren Moon as your QB who can win games practically by himself. Unlimited Cap or a VERY HIGH CAP then that's a different story.
Perhaps you missed my post where I suggested raising the cap in response to Techno's suggestion we try to match the PR down South by doing exactly that.
Go Bombers!

Cool Spot

He wouldn't pay state income taxes in FL, but would still be subject to US federal income taxes.

ichabod_crane

Quote from: J5V on August 08, 2024, 10:58:37 PMPerhaps you missed my post where I suggested raising the cap in response to Techno's suggestion we try to match the PR down South by doing exactly that.

If you have the wallet to do that....GO RIGHT AHEAD!! Nobody is stopping you! ;) Buy out the Bombers if you can!! :) I hear the Elks are up for sale too! ;)

9 teams have to agree to any cap raise + the CFLPA is involved too via bargaining negotiations. There is already negotiated cap increases on the books + other benefits as you can see from the information below IF Sports Illustrated is to be trusted! :D 

"The first change is the salary cap increase for the 2024 season. This was agreed upon during the collective bargaining agreement conversations last season between the players and the league. The salary cap is set to increase up to $5.585 million for the 2024 season.

2024 will also be the first year that players will receive revenue-sharing benefits. Players will be able to receive 25 percent of the revenue starting in 2024. The revenue received from the Grey Cup is also included in the revenue-sharing."

Full details here: https://www.si.com/cfl/fannation/news/cfl-2024-offseason-changes-to-watch-draft-free-agency-salary-cap#:~:text=Salary%20Cap%20Increase&text=The%20salary%20cap%20is%20set,the%20revenue%20starting%20in%202024.

J5V

Quote from: ichabod_crane on August 09, 2024, 12:03:19 AMIf you have the wallet to do that....GO RIGHT AHEAD!! Nobody is stopping you! ;) Buy out the Bombers if you can!! :) I hear the Elks are up for sale too! ;)
What does discussing raising the cap have to do with private citizen's buying football teams? The league has already decided to raise the cap this year. Are you suggesting my buying the team is the only way to raise the cap? What a strange thing to say.
Go Bombers!

ichabod_crane

Quote from: J5V on August 09, 2024, 12:20:06 AMWhat does discussing raising the cap have to do with private citizen's buying football teams? The league has already decided to raise the cap this year. Are you suggesting my buying the team is the only way to raise the cap? What a strange thing to say.

You are NOT GETTING THE POINT MAN....you can only raise the cap if the revenues warrant it across the league. Get a few billionaire owners into the league and they can provide a cash flow to raise the cap...NO extra cash flow...how can you afford to raise the cap willy nilly?! Or do you believe like that Field of Dreams baseball movie that "IF YOU BUILD IT/RAISE THE CAP, that magical money will flow in to pay for it?!". There is not way you can guarantee that would occur.

J5V

Quote from: ichabod_crane on August 09, 2024, 12:37:29 AMYou are NOT GETTING THE POINT MAN....you can only raise the cap if the revenues warrant it across the league. Get a few billionaire owners into the league and they can provide a cash flow to raise the cap...NO extra cash flow...how can you afford to raise the cap willy nilly?! Or do you believe like that Field of Dreams baseball movie that "IF YOU BUILD IT/RAISE THE CAP, that magical money will flow in to pay for it?!". There is not way you can guarantee that would occur.
Except of course that they ALREADY RAISED THE CAP THIS YEAR.
Go Bombers!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: theaardvark on August 08, 2024, 09:10:38 PMAnd if a QB can't even stick on an NFL PR, why should they get paid the same as a QB on an NFL PR?  Of course they should be paid less than an NFL PR rate.  $600k is more than generous for a CFL QB, and they should actually have a single player cap of $600k to prevent teams for spending $700k-900K when someone like Rourke comes along.

Because it's pathetic.  Our top-3 superstar starting CFL QBs can't earn more than a NFL PR spot?  What's next, the NFL waterboy makes more too?  Would we make excuses for that too?  It's sad and pathetic.

My whole point is it's sad that Rourke, who clearly will never be an NFL starter, is rotting down south barely on a PR and still earn more than Zach.  On the PR!!  I could fathom people laughing if I wanted CFL starting QBs to earn as much as, say, NFL #2 QBs.  I understand the economics of the 2 leagues.  But surely we can muster enough to lure guys in Rourke's situation back to Canada?

And the point still remains, because we can't find a tad more money in the CFL, CFL-superstars like Rourke waste 2-5 years on the bench in the NFL and everyone loses out, all for the want of another $100k or so.
Never go full Rider!