Rourke released, Signed by Atlanta...and released again AND SIGNS WITH BC

Started by Blue In BC, July 28, 2024, 02:45:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jesse

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on August 07, 2024, 02:00:49 AMHaven't being paying any attention, how far along is he in pursuit of his NFL pension?

He has to have three years accrued. He only accrues a year if he's on the active roster for at least three games.

I don't really think that it's part of the equation right now.
My wife is amazing!

The Zipp

Quote from: Jesse on August 07, 2024, 01:27:20 AMLol, he can't force teams to sign him.

No but his agent has a job - the market may not be that hot for Nathan.

Jesse

Quote from: The Zipp on August 07, 2024, 03:56:08 AMNo but his agent has a job - the market may not be that hot for Nathan.

Yeah, I think that's pretty clear.
My wife is amazing!

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Jesse on August 07, 2024, 02:05:59 AMHe has to have three years accrued. He only accrues a year if he's on the active roster for at least three games.

I don't really think that it's part of the equation right now.

So in the years he's wasted standing around waiting, he's no closer to a pension than if he stayed in the CFL and got paid $500k to play?

GOLDMEMBER

It will be interesting if he can beat out Taylor Heineke (NFL vet and Georgia hometown boy) for the 3rd string spot?
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

The Zipp

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on August 07, 2024, 03:10:59 PMSo in the years he's wasted standing around waiting, he's no closer to a pension than if he stayed in the CFL and got paid $500k to play?

chasing his dream...you only get a few chances.  I hope he does well.

Jesse

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on August 07, 2024, 03:10:59 PMSo in the years he's wasted standing around waiting, he's no closer to a pension than if he stayed in the CFL and got paid $500k to play?

He has accrued one year in his one year in the NFL. And he was paid over 500k USD.

Now he's in a position where he can win a roster spot. Maybe (probably) it won't be a fair competition. But he's literally fighting for his dream and still has the opportunity to do so.
My wife is amazing!

blue_gold_84

What a silly statement. He hasn't wasted anything by trying to stick in the NFL.
#forthew
лава Україні!
井の中の蛙大海を知らず
What a wretched timeline.

Sir Blue and Gold

The potential payday is so big that you have to try.

Having said that, the regret he may have, depending on how long he's down there, is letting prime years go by without really getting a shot. He was never going to see the field in Jacksonville. He didn't get a look in New England or with the Giants. He's now on a team that has a high first round pick and a career starter ahead of him, so it seems virtually impossible that he'll get to play anything more than some pre-season action. Time works against you down there if you're trying to break in. Every year teams draft quarterbacks from the NCAA who are already far higher than him on the pecking order. I just don't see he'll ever get a chance.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on August 07, 2024, 04:08:34 PMWhat a silly statement. He hasn't wasted anything by trying to stick in the NFL.

Careers are short, many Canadian players have gone to the NFL bounced around between PR's for a number of years and retired instead of lowering themselves to play in the CFL, they essentially never play more than a handful of games and are forgotten. If Rourke chooses that path he will have little to show for a football career, considering he could have been a massive star in Canada the equivalent of Flutie and milked it for 40 years afterward like Dunigan.

markf

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on August 07, 2024, 03:18:09 PMIt will be interesting if he can beat out Taylor Heineke (NFL vet and Georgia hometown boy) for the 3rd string spot?

I can't see that happening.

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on August 07, 2024, 04:29:18 PMCareers are short, many Canadian players have gone to the NFL bounced around between PR's for a number of years and retired instead of lowering themselves to play in the CFL, they essentially never play more than a handful of games and are forgotten. If Rourke chooses that path he will have little to show for a football career, considering he could have been a massive star in Canada the equivalent of Flutie and milked it for 40 years afterward like Dunigan.

It's almost as if maximizing your financial gains in an unforgiving sport like professional football to enjoy life post-career is the rational thing to do. Considering the NFL affords way more from that standpoint than the CFL ever could, it seems reasonable to conclude he's doing the right thing for him and his future.

Championships, statistical achievements, and "stardom" don't typically pay the bills - especially in a second rate pro league like the CFL.
#forthew
лава Україні!
井の中の蛙大海を知らず
What a wretched timeline.

Jesse

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on August 07, 2024, 04:21:59 PMThe potential payday is so big that you have to try.

Having said that, the regret he may have, depending on how long he's down there, is letting prime years go by without really getting a shot. He was never going to see the field in Jacksonville. He didn't get a look in New England or with the Giants. He's now on a team that has a high first round pick and a career starter ahead of him, so it seems virtually impossible that he'll get to play anything more than some pre-season action. Time works against you down there if you're trying to break in. Every year teams draft quarterbacks from the NCAA who are already far higher than him on the pecking order. I just don't see he'll ever get a chance.

This is how guys on the roster bubble get film. His first priority is trying to win the #3 job, but if that fails, he needs to try to prove he's deserving of another opportunity somewhere else.

This is probably his last shot. Unless he can raise another team's eye brows.

I don't believe it's going to happen. And I would personally be happier if he never left the CFL and was raising the talent in our league. But he's going for his dream and this is what he needs to do to achieve it.
My wife is amazing!

peg_city

I remember the bidding for Casey Printers being ridiculous after the Chiefs cut him. He became the highest paid player in the CFL (his CFL contract was worth more than his NFL contract). I'm thinking Rourke Lands in BC for 600-700K a year and they trade Vernon Adam to whoever needs a quarterback (might be us in a year and a half).

Looks at Casey Printers wiki, he had the most Jim Carey (goalie) career I have seen.

One amazing year followed by nothing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casey_Printers

Casey Printers last game in the CFL was against the Winnipeg Blue Bombers (the Brink replaced by Jyles game). At the end of the highlight package, it shows why Printers was released.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xj8fPebMdPI

Blue In BC

Quote from: peg_city on August 07, 2024, 09:10:19 PMI remember the bidding for Casey Printers being ridiculous after the Chiefs cut him. He became the highest paid player in the CFL (his CFL contract was worth more than his NFL contract). I'm thinking Rourke Lands in BC for 600-700K a year and they trade Vernon Adam to whoever needs a quarterback (might be us in a year and a half).

Looks at Casey Printers wiki, he had the most Jim Carey (goalie) career I have seen.

One amazing year followed by nothing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casey_Printers

Paying that much for any QB is too much. It didn't work when they gave that to Reilly and it wouldn't work giving it to Rourke. It destroys the ability to spend across the entire roster SMS.
2019 Grey Cup Champions