Rourke released, Signed by Atlanta...and released again AND SIGNS WITH BC

Started by Blue In BC, July 28, 2024, 02:45:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jesse

Quote from: TecnoGenius on August 10, 2024, 01:51:58 AMIf we had that extra $1M cap then 100% for sure Rourke still goes to the NFL for 1 year, maybe 2.  But as soon as it's clear to the whole world that it'll take 3 to 4 freak injuries to the QBs ahead of him to ever see a start, then maybe, just maybe, parity in pay between CFL-starter and NFL-PR would have him choosing to come back north pronto.

Once the dream of $100M payday is lost forever, the non-monetary aspects of the CFL should be the deciding factors.  Those would be: being a superstar league-leading #1 adored and cheered by fans and building a CFL legacy and being allowed to play the game they love every week.  And in Rourke's case: becoming a CFL legend as the only league-top and potential GC-winning Canadian QB in modern times.

Ya, he's rotting in the NFL, and it's a huge waste.  And I'm a guy who would rather NOT see him come back because there will be many future WSF and WDF where he beats the Bombers.  But I do realize that it's better for the league and fans if he does come back.  And a healthy CFL is more important than just the Bombers winning.

Everything you said about Rourke is true without needing to add any amount of money to the cap. When it's clear his opportunities are over, he'll return to the CFL.

If you were not aware, the CFL tried doing a "cap exempt" player before. The QBs all got paid more money than they're even making now, but the CFL was unable to recruit any new players from NFL PRs who weren't already here. It changed absolutely nothing.
My wife is amazing!

J5V

Quote from: Jesse on August 10, 2024, 02:35:53 AMEverything you said about Rourke is true without needing to add any amount of money to the cap. When it's clear his opportunities are over, he'll return to the CFL.

If you were not aware, the CFL tried doing a "cap exempt" player before. The QBs all got paid more money than they're even making now, but the CFL was unable to recruit any new players from NFL PRs who weren't already here. It changed absolutely nothing.
I still don't understand all this negativity toward the idea of getting the players more money and making the CFL a more financially attractive place to practice their craft. How do you know it would change absolutely nothing? That doesn't make sense to me. It's logical to assume it could only help.
Go Bombers!

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: J5V on August 10, 2024, 02:51:01 AMI still don't understand all this negativity toward the idea of getting the players more money and making the CFL a more financially attractive place to practice their craft. How do you know it would change absolutely nothing? That doesn't make sense to me. It's logical to assume it could only help.

The CFL is in it's trial period right now, attendance is down everywhere escept Wpg., if they can't milk more revenue out of broadcasting, streaming and gambling it ain't getting better anytime soon.

Jesse

Quote from: J5V on August 10, 2024, 02:51:01 AMI still don't understand all this negativity toward the idea of getting the players more money and making the CFL a more financially attractive place to practice their craft. How do you know it would change absolutely nothing? That doesn't make sense to me. It's logical to assume it could only help.

It would be amazing if we had more money.

We don't. There's no negativity. You're just talking about something that doesn't exist.
My wife is amazing!

Lincoln Locomotive

The CFL really is a "bums in seats" organization and with attendance down throughout the league, including Regina we are a cash strapped league.   We don't have the large TV audiences that the US market has and it's difficult for us to compete and draw players to the CFL, despite the fact that our game is more exciting and compelling.   
Bomber fan for life

Jesse

Quote from: Lincoln Locomotive on August 10, 2024, 12:29:22 PMThe CFL really is a "bums in seats" organization and with attendance down throughout the league, including Regina we are a cash strapped league.   We don't have the large TV audiences that the US market has and it's difficult for us to compete and draw players to the CFL, despite the fact that our game is more exciting and compelling.   

That's a bit of a misnomer too. It used to be. But a lot of our money now comes from the TV deal and sponsors. That's why even though attendance goes down, the salary cap does continue to grow. The league would have gone under a while ago if it depended purely on attendance.
My wife is amazing!

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Jesse on August 10, 2024, 03:28:56 PMThat's a bit of a misnomer too. It used to be. But a lot of our money now comes from the TV deal and sponsors. That's why even though attendance goes down, the salary cap does continue to grow. The league would have gone under a while ago if it depended purely on attendance.

Interesting if true, do you have any proof the revenue from these sources has increased? Guess we'll see at the end of the season, cause 7 out of 9 clubs usually post losses.

Pigskin

Nathan was 3/13 for 37 yards last night, and had 2 carries for 24 yards. Not his best work.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

The Zipp

Quote from: Pigskin on August 10, 2024, 03:56:49 PMNathan was 3/13 for 37 yards last night, and had 2 carries for 24 yards. Not his best work.

Had a guy open for a TD and he missed him.  I am cheering for the guy but the way some of the Canadian media guys are only showing his highlights and gushing about him is a bit over the top. 

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Pigskin on August 10, 2024, 03:56:49 PMNathan was 3/13 for 37 yards last night, and had 2 carries for 24 yards. Not his best work.

That's stunningly bad, for any league. Can't wipe the slate clean, might give him pause for thought about his future.

J5V

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on August 10, 2024, 05:09:40 PMThat's stunningly bad, for any league. Can't wipe the slate clean, might give him pause for thought about his future.
Some guys are better suited for one league or the other.
Go Bombers!

The Zipp

Quote from: J5V on August 10, 2024, 05:28:11 PMSome guys are better suited for one league or the other.

Don't forget he played about 8 good games in the cfl.

Jesse

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on August 10, 2024, 05:09:40 PMThat's stunningly bad, for any league. Can't wipe the slate clean, might give him pause for thought about his future.

Some context:

Nathan had 3 dropped passes + the rushing yards.

His competition went 4/11 for 11 yards with no rushing.

The "starter" went 9/16 for 104 yards.

It wasn't exactly a stellar offensive performance for the team. So the raw numbers may not be as bad as they suggest.
My wife is amazing!

DCM

One drive started at the 20, another got down to the five. Zero points on both.
Twitch Account: Here - Website: Here

J5V

Quote from: The Zipp on August 10, 2024, 05:45:10 PMDon't forget he played about 8 good games in the cfl.
Very true, and then a bad leg/ankle injury.

It's hard for a QB to always look good in the NFL depending on the team around them and the defense they are up against. Even the great Tom Brady has looked awful at times. The smaller field, the Dline being right on top of you, the lack of motion, etc. all contributes to conditions that tend to stifle creativity. CFL football will always, IMHO, be the more exciting game. That may be part of the reason an athlete like Rourke looked so good here.
Go Bombers!