Kongbo signs in BC...and traded to Hamilton

Started by Pete, May 21, 2023, 09:49:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blue_gold_84

Quote from: blue_or_die on May 23, 2023, 06:56:32 PM
I could be wrong on this, but it was my understanding that RFA status (like in e.g. hockey) formally allows teams to bid on a player's services regardless of the wishes of the player. So if Kongbo for example knew he wanted to play in BC, an RFA status wouldn't allow him to sign until the Bombers had a chance to try and negotiate.

Since when is there different statuses applied to free agents in the CFL?
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Jesse

I could be wrong on this, but it was my understanding that RFA status (like in e.g. hockey) formally allows teams to bid on a player's services regardless of the wishes of the player. So if Kongbo for example knew he wanted to play in BC, an RFA status wouldn't allow him to sign until the Bombers had a chance to try and negotiate.

For sure it would. I was speaking generally, as I'm sure Walters at least inquired what it would take but bowed out due to cost/benefit. This is the consequence of signing Lawler.

I don't think a RFA deal would apply to Kongbo, even if it did exist. We may have released him in 2019 (4 years ago), but we re-signed him to a 1 year deal in 2021. He is a Free Agent.
My wife is amazing!

blue_or_die

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on May 23, 2023, 07:08:08 PM
Since when is there different statuses applied to free agents in the CFL?

Since never?

Quote from: Jesse on May 23, 2023, 07:20:52 PM
For sure it would. I was speaking generally, as I'm sure Walters at least inquired what it would take but bowed out due to cost/benefit. This is the consequence of signing Lawler.

I don't think a RFA deal would apply to Kongbo, even if it did exist. We may have released him in 2019 (4 years ago), but we re-signed him to a 1 year deal in 2021. He is a Free Agent.

Sure, I'm also speaking more generally here as well. If a contract expires and a player goes to the NFL and comes back, their contract status is the same regardless- which is, there is none. But if it's a "handshake release" it would be nice to have contractual assurance vs just a handshake.

And re the first line of your post, I actually made the assumption (right or wrong) that Kongbo wanted to "go home" and just signed whatever BC was offering and didn't even try other teams. Depends what his convictions are I guess, but it doesn't necessarily all come down to the rational economics of going to the highest bidder
#Ride?

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: blue_or_die on May 23, 2023, 08:02:49 PM
Since never?

Sure, I'm also speaking more generally here as well. If a contract expires and a player goes to the NFL and comes back, their contract status is the same regardless- which is, there is none. But if it's a "handshake release" it would be nice to have contractual assurance vs just a handshake.

And re the first line of your post, I actually made the assumption (right or wrong) that Kongbo wanted to "go home" and just signed whatever BC was offering and didn't even try other teams. Depends what his convictions are I guess, but it doesn't necessarily all come down to the rational economics of going to the highest bidder

I looked over the Lions website as well as 3DN, as far as I can see Kongbo hasn't been interviewed recently, so it's hard to say why he decided to sign with the Lions.  Doubt we'll ever know, he doesn't seem to be a talkative guy.

blue_gold_84

With Richardson being released, the Lions had some money freed up to address that loss on the D-line. Kongbo shook loose and they picked him up as a result. My zany theory, anyway.

It's not rocket appliances.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on May 23, 2023, 07:07:30 PM
Easy to say this with the gift of hindsight. Rationally, however, it's nonsense.

Not so sure about that, it's practical money management, excessive over spending on one player is going to leave them short all down the line.  I was thinking about Bailey's future the other day, poor guy is never going to get his bump in pay as long as Schoen, Lawler and Demski are lined up in front of him.  Whether they can afford to retain both Lawler and Schoen next season is certainly questionable.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on May 23, 2023, 08:35:15 PM
With Richardson being released, the Lions had some money freed up to address that loss on the D-line. Kongbo shook loose and they picked him up as a result. My zany theory, anyway.

No more Lemon, Kongbo gets lemonade.

blue_or_die

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on May 23, 2023, 08:35:15 PM

I don't think anyone is questioning why the Lions picked him up, but rather if we missed out because we weren't interested, didn't have the money, or he didn't consult us, etc.
#Ride?

theaardvark

That's what I would like to see.  A hockey RFA that gives an RFA player the rights to negotiate with any team, but after agreeing to a contract, the RFA team gets a chance to match. 

IIRC, if a player gets released from an ELC to pursue NFL aspirations, they remain property of the original team until the ELC is completed in full.  Not sure if that is just for drafted NATs, but pretty sure that's what happened after Kongbo's first NFL shot... why he came back here.

I'd like to see that extended to any player that does not complete their full contract, being released early.  WFC never hesitates to release players with legit NFL offers, but this would make every GM on board with releasing players ahead of contracts ending.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Sir Blue and Gold

We're paying our starting defensive ends a lot of cash. It's hard to pay three of them. Kongbo was cheap while he was here. The thing is, we don't need him, we just need an effective rotational end. Kongbo being Canadian made it somewhat easier to fit him on the roster but we started a third American defensive end plenty last year. The problem was the options we had didn't really work out. This year, let's hope for better results from the scouts on that front.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on May 24, 2023, 03:36:06 AM
We're paying our starting defensive ends a lot of cash. It's hard to pay three of them. Kongbo was cheap while he was here. The thing is, we don't need him, we just need an effective rotational end. Kongbo being Canadian made it somewhat easier to fit him on the roster but we started a third American defensive end plenty last year. The problem was the options we had didn't really work out. This year, let's hope for better results from the scouts on that front.

Unfortunately slim pickins on the DE front, Bennet might work out, other than him there are only 2-3 other DE's on the roster fighting to fill the 2 backup spots with Hansen out.  I wouldn't be terribly surprised if the Ti-Cats are forced to cut CEDRIC Wilcots and the Bombers pick him back up, which would make Darby a free acquisition.  The Lions could also attempt to go with an all Natl. D-line this season, which could lead to some potential fallout of quality players.

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on May 23, 2023, 08:44:12 PM
Not so sure about that, it's practical money management, excessive over spending on one player is going to leave them short all down the line.  I was thinking about Bailey's future the other day, poor guy is never going to get his bump in pay as long as Schoen, Lawler and Demski are lined up in front of him.  Whether they can afford to retain both Lawler and Schoen next season is certainly questionable.

You should be. Lawler was a pending FA who signed here more than three months ago, when Kongbo was still under contract with the Denver Broncos. You sign the players who are available - full stop.

What does Bailey have to do with any of this? He re-signed here and took a heavy discount on his own accord. Nobody put a gun to his head.

Also: next season is irrelevant right now.

Quote from: blue_or_die on May 23, 2023, 08:46:08 PM
I don't think anyone is questioning why the Lions picked him up, but rather if we missed out because we weren't interested, didn't have the money, or he didn't consult us, etc.

I'm guessing money was the driving factor.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on May 24, 2023, 03:36:06 AM

It's the ratio aspect that was more critical. Bombers start 11 imports on defence. Both Global players have been on defence and 3 of our DI's have been on defence. We can use Gauthier or Briggs at times but Kongbo would have seen more rotation.

SMS and the desire of any player may be closer to home. Bombers may have offered him more than the Lions or perhaps made no offer at all. Don't know.  Any Canadian that can be used heavily in rotation is a valuable commodity but as has been mentioned, you can't win them all.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: Blue In BC on May 24, 2023, 03:26:35 PM
It's the ratio aspect that was more critical. Bombers start 11 imports on defence. Both Global players have been on defence and 3 of our DI's have been on defence. We can use Gauthier or Briggs at times but Kongbo would have seen more rotation.

SMS and the desire of any player may be closer to home. Bombers may have offered him more than the Lions or perhaps made no offer at all. Don't know.  Any Canadian that can be used heavily in rotation is a valuable commodity but as has been mentioned, you can't win them all.

In this case, it actually isn't. Certainly it's not 'more critical'. What made Kongbo good was that he was effective, first and foremost. We have good Canadian talent and depth, particularly on offense, where we've focused our Canadian efforts. We can certainly roster a DI DE if he contributes. The issue we had last year was that none of them were very good, and therefore it made it hard to continue to justify a DE DI. If we have another American who can get pressure from the end on a fairly reliable basis, then we'll be doing that.

DM83

Inflation, bankruptcies, co-vid fall out could affect a young man's lifestyle, and even an old man as well(me).

If Kongbo is from BC....Then sure why not sign where you have support from your family.