Kongbo signs in BC...and traded to Hamilton

Started by Pete, May 21, 2023, 09:49:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete

BC Lions have signed Jonathan Kongbo. I know we have cap issues but this seems like a missed opportunity to me

Jesse

This is....disappointing...
My wife is amazing!

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Pete on May 21, 2023, 09:49:49 PM
BC Lions have signed Jonathan Kongbo. I know we have cap issues but this seems like a missed opportunity to me

I didn't even know he was available, don't know how the Bombers lost out on re-signing him and I don't think he has any BC roots.

the paw

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on May 21, 2023, 10:45:25 PM
I didn't even know he was available, don't know how the Bombers lost out on re-signing him and I don't think he has any BC roots.

Went to high school in Surrey.

He must have come available fairly recently, there was no word he was available.  It looms like he made Lemon redundant.
grab grass 'n growl

RyGuy13

Can?t always get them all back. Maybe he sees a better chance being an every down player in BC opposed to rotational here? Or maybe we are just that up there in the cap we couldn?t afford him? Good football player regardless.
At SB, #85..MILT STEEEGAAALLLL

The Zipp

That stinks...

Desjarlais and now Kongbo...guess he doesn't want a playoff cheque.

Sir Blue and Gold

pjrocksmb

Happy to see another great athlete return to our league.  Will be a pleasure to watch.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on May 21, 2023, 11:56:19 PM
Can't afford everybody.

You're right, Walters decided to spend an excess of money on an Import receiver, in doing so he left them $$ short in an area of real need.  Maybe newly acquired Anthony Bennett will be every bit as good as Kongbo and it will be a wash, but I'd be surprised if he's able to make that level of impact this season.

Pete

Unfortunately we don't know what negotiations, if any went on with Kongbo. Signing him probably meant we had to drop someone else. Although if given a choice between jeffcoat and kongbo I would have been very tempted due to the age and injury history of Jefferson.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Pete on May 22, 2023, 12:37:47 AM
Unfortunately we don't know what negotiations, if any went on with Kongbo. Signing him probably meant we had to drop someone else. Although if given a choice between jefferson and kongbo I would have been very tempted due to the age and injury history of Jefferson.

I honestly can't remember Willie ever missing a game due to injury, you might be referring to Jeffcoat but Kongbo is only a supplement to either Jeff's performance, not a replacement.

Pete

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on May 22, 2023, 01:51:56 AM
I honestly can't remember Willie ever missing a game due to injury, you might be referring to Jeffcoat but Kongbo is only a supplement to either Jeff's performance, not a replacement.
you're right - corrected it, thanks!. I think with the growth Kongbo is likely to have received with his nfl experience he could have been a replacement for Jeffcoat. If healthy Jeffcoat is a great end but like the man says one of the best abilities is availability.

BLUEBOMBER

We can't get everyone..  getting Lawler and Castillo back in the fold was way way more important.

Pigskin

BC already had a number of good Canadian DL. With Kongbo coming in, BC will  probably have to make a few roster moves to stay close to the cap.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Blue In BC

Well that sucks. Glad to see him back in the CFL but it would have been great getting him back in Winnipeg.

It's not clear if he'll get more reps in Vancouver. They are loaded with Canadian's on defence.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

DM83

Why is a reference to salary cap relevant when a third of the league ignores it?   

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Pigskin on May 22, 2023, 04:23:33 AM
BC already had a number of good Canadian DL. With Kongbo coming in, BC will  probably have to make a few roster moves to stay close to the cap.

The Lions also cut Shawn Lemon who qualifies as a Fake Natl. at the same time they signed Kongbo.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on May 22, 2023, 02:56:05 PM
The Lions also cut Shawn Lemon who qualifies as a Fake Natl. at the same time they signed Kongbo.

Yes but that only means Lemon could have been on the field 49% of the time. Kongbo could be on the field more especially if there are any injuries etc.

Lemon would have been a DI at best and this changes the Lions options for their DI's.

He's played for 6 CFL teams and changed teams on a nearly seasonal basis. Montreal, Hamilton and Winnipeg are the only teams he hasn't played for yet. I always found that interesting since it was Winnipeg that brought him to the CFL but he didn't / wouldn't report for some reason.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

kkc60

sucks about kongbo. makes sense, he would want to have a shot at more playing time. that being said, if he could have replaced Jeffcoat in the future, that would?ve been nice with Bennett already here

TecnoGenius

I still don't like how the CFL-NFL-CFL system works.  It always seems to leave a bad taste in my mouth.  I think it should be that if you do the NFL thing and return that your last CFL team should get the right of first refusal.  Yes, regardless of CFL signing status at the time.

WPG should have been given first shot at Desjar and Kongbo (and Henoc, and...).  Maybe if they were free agents they can get offers at other CFL teams but WPG would have the right to match that offer and keep the player.

We could have used Kongbo for sure.  Our DL depth is the weakest link.  We still don't have the personnel to do the 2019 4-DE cheetah.

How about Lemonator if no one picks him up and he's uber cheap?  Dude has a good attitude and lots of experience and counts as FAKENAT.
Never go full Rider!

theaardvark

We released Kongbo from valid contracts twice to pursue NFL options.  But he is "BC homegrown" according to the reports of his signing out there.  We got some good years out of him, but he was free to choose where to sign.

Loved him in rotation with the Jeffs and Hansen, and I'm sure he loved playing here under Hall and Osh, but "going home" usually trumps a lot. 
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Jesse

Quote from: TecnoGenius on May 22, 2023, 08:05:21 PM
I still don't like how the CFL-NFL-CFL system works.  It always seems to leave a bad taste in my mouth.  I think it should be that if you do the NFL thing and return that your last CFL team should get the right of first refusal.  Yes, regardless of CFL signing status at the time.

WPG should have been given first shot at Desjar and Kongbo (and Henoc, and...).  Maybe if they were free agents they can get offers at other CFL teams but WPG would have the right to match that offer and keep the player.

We could have used Kongbo for sure.  Our DL depth is the weakest link.  We still don't have the personnel to do the 2019 4-DE cheetah.

How about Lemonator if no one picks him up and he's uber cheap?  Dude has a good attitude and lots of experience and counts as FAKENAT.

Why would we have first shot at free agents? It doesn't make any sense.
My wife is amazing!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Jesse on May 22, 2023, 10:32:08 PM

Ya, you always tell me.  But look how many people are like "why couldn't returning player X sign in WPG?".

Since we don't know much (yet?) about Kongbo, it could be he never even talked to WPG before signing in BC.  All legit and legal and fine, but it irks me.
Never go full Rider!

Blue In BC

Quote from: TecnoGenius on May 22, 2023, 08:05:21 PM

Even if Lemon is cheap he'd take a spot as a DI. If one of the rookies looks good, that might be short term gain by Lemon on the AR. OTOH, if that rookie accepts a PR spot initially then perhaps that could work.

The Fakenat gives us an advantage from a rotational point of view, potentially.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

theaardvark

Quote from: Jesse on May 22, 2023, 10:32:08 PM

Not all FA, but FA that are "released" from valid contracts to pursue NFL opportunities.  These should have some form of RFA status, like an opportunity to match..
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: theaardvark on May 23, 2023, 02:11:51 PM
Not all FA, but FA that are "released" from valid contracts to pursue NFL opportunities.  These should have some form of RFA status, like an opportunity to match..

Redistribution of talent is good. Isn't it? Or should we say what goes around comes around? Or should we just not forget so quickly?

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/bc-lions-adam-bighill-release-nfl
https://www.sportsnet.ca/football/cfl/winnipeg-blue-bombers-sign-linebacker-adam-bighill-one-year-deal/

Jesse

Quote from: theaardvark on May 23, 2023, 02:11:51 PM

Every team does, that's the beauty of FA.
My wife is amazing!

Throw Long Bannatyne

During yesterday's presser O'Shea didn't seem to know if they pursued Kongbo or not. I would think he would be more in the loop on critical player movement but perhaps he is playing less of a role in player selection than he did during their rebuilding years.  As for Walters I suspect he got outbid, plus Kongbo having Surrey roots probably helped determine his destination.

blue_or_die

Quote from: Jesse on May 23, 2023, 03:13:20 PM
Every team does, that's the beauty of FA.

I could be wrong on this, but it was my understanding that RFA status (like in e.g. hockey) formally allows teams to bid on a player's services regardless of the wishes of the player. So if Kongbo for example knew he wanted to play in BC, an RFA status wouldn't allow him to sign until the Bombers had a chance to try and negotiate.
#Ride?

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on May 22, 2023, 12:20:06 AM
You're right, Walters decided to spend an excess of money on an Import receiver, in doing so he left them $$ short in an area of real need.

Easy to say this with the gift of hindsight. Rationally, however, it's nonsense.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

blue_gold_84

Quote from: blue_or_die on May 23, 2023, 06:56:32 PM
I could be wrong on this, but it was my understanding that RFA status (like in e.g. hockey) formally allows teams to bid on a player's services regardless of the wishes of the player. So if Kongbo for example knew he wanted to play in BC, an RFA status wouldn't allow him to sign until the Bombers had a chance to try and negotiate.

Since when is there different statuses applied to free agents in the CFL?
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Jesse

For sure it would. I was speaking generally, as I'm sure Walters at least inquired what it would take but bowed out due to cost/benefit. This is the consequence of signing Lawler.

I don't think a RFA deal would apply to Kongbo, even if it did exist. We may have released him in 2019 (4 years ago), but we re-signed him to a 1 year deal in 2021. He is a Free Agent.
My wife is amazing!

blue_or_die

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on May 23, 2023, 07:08:08 PM
Since when is there different statuses applied to free agents in the CFL?

Since never?

Quote from: Jesse on May 23, 2023, 07:20:52 PM
For sure it would. I was speaking generally, as I'm sure Walters at least inquired what it would take but bowed out due to cost/benefit. This is the consequence of signing Lawler.

I don't think a RFA deal would apply to Kongbo, even if it did exist. We may have released him in 2019 (4 years ago), but we re-signed him to a 1 year deal in 2021. He is a Free Agent.

Sure, I'm also speaking more generally here as well. If a contract expires and a player goes to the NFL and comes back, their contract status is the same regardless- which is, there is none. But if it's a "handshake release" it would be nice to have contractual assurance vs just a handshake.

And re the first line of your post, I actually made the assumption (right or wrong) that Kongbo wanted to "go home" and just signed whatever BC was offering and didn't even try other teams. Depends what his convictions are I guess, but it doesn't necessarily all come down to the rational economics of going to the highest bidder
#Ride?

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: blue_or_die on May 23, 2023, 08:02:49 PM
Since never?

Sure, I'm also speaking more generally here as well. If a contract expires and a player goes to the NFL and comes back, their contract status is the same regardless- which is, there is none. But if it's a "handshake release" it would be nice to have contractual assurance vs just a handshake.

And re the first line of your post, I actually made the assumption (right or wrong) that Kongbo wanted to "go home" and just signed whatever BC was offering and didn't even try other teams. Depends what his convictions are I guess, but it doesn't necessarily all come down to the rational economics of going to the highest bidder

I looked over the Lions website as well as 3DN, as far as I can see Kongbo hasn't been interviewed recently, so it's hard to say why he decided to sign with the Lions.  Doubt we'll ever know, he doesn't seem to be a talkative guy.

blue_gold_84

With Richardson being released, the Lions had some money freed up to address that loss on the D-line. Kongbo shook loose and they picked him up as a result. My zany theory, anyway.

It's not rocket appliances.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on May 23, 2023, 07:07:30 PM
Easy to say this with the gift of hindsight. Rationally, however, it's nonsense.

Not so sure about that, it's practical money management, excessive over spending on one player is going to leave them short all down the line.  I was thinking about Bailey's future the other day, poor guy is never going to get his bump in pay as long as Schoen, Lawler and Demski are lined up in front of him.  Whether they can afford to retain both Lawler and Schoen next season is certainly questionable.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on May 23, 2023, 08:35:15 PM
With Richardson being released, the Lions had some money freed up to address that loss on the D-line. Kongbo shook loose and they picked him up as a result. My zany theory, anyway.

No more Lemon, Kongbo gets lemonade.

blue_or_die

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on May 23, 2023, 08:35:15 PM

I don't think anyone is questioning why the Lions picked him up, but rather if we missed out because we weren't interested, didn't have the money, or he didn't consult us, etc.
#Ride?

theaardvark

That's what I would like to see.  A hockey RFA that gives an RFA player the rights to negotiate with any team, but after agreeing to a contract, the RFA team gets a chance to match. 

IIRC, if a player gets released from an ELC to pursue NFL aspirations, they remain property of the original team until the ELC is completed in full.  Not sure if that is just for drafted NATs, but pretty sure that's what happened after Kongbo's first NFL shot... why he came back here.

I'd like to see that extended to any player that does not complete their full contract, being released early.  WFC never hesitates to release players with legit NFL offers, but this would make every GM on board with releasing players ahead of contracts ending.

Sir Blue and Gold

We're paying our starting defensive ends a lot of cash. It's hard to pay three of them. Kongbo was cheap while he was here. The thing is, we don't need him, we just need an effective rotational end. Kongbo being Canadian made it somewhat easier to fit him on the roster but we started a third American defensive end plenty last year. The problem was the options we had didn't really work out. This year, let's hope for better results from the scouts on that front.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on May 24, 2023, 03:36:06 AM
We're paying our starting defensive ends a lot of cash. It's hard to pay three of them. Kongbo was cheap while he was here. The thing is, we don't need him, we just need an effective rotational end. Kongbo being Canadian made it somewhat easier to fit him on the roster but we started a third American defensive end plenty last year. The problem was the options we had didn't really work out. This year, let's hope for better results from the scouts on that front.

Unfortunately slim pickins on the DE front, Bennet might work out, other than him there are only 2-3 other DE's on the roster fighting to fill the 2 backup spots with Hansen out.  I wouldn't be terribly surprised if the Ti-Cats are forced to cut CEDRIC Wilcots and the Bombers pick him back up, which would make Darby a free acquisition.  The Lions could also attempt to go with an all Natl. D-line this season, which could lead to some potential fallout of quality players.

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on May 23, 2023, 08:44:12 PM
Not so sure about that, it's practical money management, excessive over spending on one player is going to leave them short all down the line.  I was thinking about Bailey's future the other day, poor guy is never going to get his bump in pay as long as Schoen, Lawler and Demski are lined up in front of him.  Whether they can afford to retain both Lawler and Schoen next season is certainly questionable.

You should be. Lawler was a pending FA who signed here more than three months ago, when Kongbo was still under contract with the Denver Broncos. You sign the players who are available - full stop.

What does Bailey have to do with any of this? He re-signed here and took a heavy discount on his own accord. Nobody put a gun to his head.

Also: next season is irrelevant right now.

Quote from: blue_or_die on May 23, 2023, 08:46:08 PM
I don't think anyone is questioning why the Lions picked him up, but rather if we missed out because we weren't interested, didn't have the money, or he didn't consult us, etc.

I'm guessing money was the driving factor.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Blue In BC

It's the ratio aspect that was more critical. Bombers start 11 imports on defence. Both Global players have been on defence and 3 of our DI's have been on defence. We can use Gauthier or Briggs at times but Kongbo would have seen more rotation.

SMS and the desire of any player may be closer to home. Bombers may have offered him more than the Lions or perhaps made no offer at all. Don't know.  Any Canadian that can be used heavily in rotation is a valuable commodity but as has been mentioned, you can't win them all.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: Blue In BC on May 24, 2023, 03:26:35 PM
It's the ratio aspect that was more critical. Bombers start 11 imports on defence. Both Global players have been on defence and 3 of our DI's have been on defence. We can use Gauthier or Briggs at times but Kongbo would have seen more rotation.

SMS and the desire of any player may be closer to home. Bombers may have offered him more than the Lions or perhaps made no offer at all. Don't know.  Any Canadian that can be used heavily in rotation is a valuable commodity but as has been mentioned, you can't win them all.

In this case, it actually isn't. Certainly it's not 'more critical'. What made Kongbo good was that he was effective, first and foremost. We have good Canadian talent and depth, particularly on offense, where we've focused our Canadian efforts. We can certainly roster a DI DE if he contributes. The issue we had last year was that none of them were very good, and therefore it made it hard to continue to justify a DE DI. If we have another American who can get pressure from the end on a fairly reliable basis, then we'll be doing that.

DM83

Inflation, bankruptcies, co-vid fall out could affect a young man's lifestyle, and even an old man as well(me).

If Kongbo is from BC....Then sure why not sign where you have support from your family.

Blue In BC

Quote from: DM83 on May 24, 2023, 05:11:27 PM
Inflation, bankruptcies, co-vid fall out could affect a young man's lifestyle, and even an old man as well(me).

If Kongbo is from BC....Then sure why not sign where you have support from your family.

He might also be able to live at home and reduce his costs and live a better environment
2019 Grey Cup Champions

blue_gold_84

FWIW, he did grow up in the lower mainland when his family immigrated here.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Pigskin

Quote from: DM83 on May 24, 2023, 05:11:27 PM

I know right now in Winnipeg it's hard to find apartments. One of the Bombers asked me over the weekend if I had any apartments coming open at the end of the month. However with that massive fire, there will be a long wait to get into anything at this time. When he told me who the player or players were, we decided to offer our basement suite. We met one of the players yesterday and he will be moving tonight. I know Kyrie Wilson has been doing this for a few years now.

blue_or_die

I think many viewed Kongbo as a possible future star Canadian starting DE for the Bombers and so not being able to continue to groom him under the Jeffs sucks. I agree that as a rotational/backup it was more of a "nice to have", but we have to covet our high ceiling Canadians.
#Ride?

TecnoGenius

Quote from: blue_or_die on May 23, 2023, 08:02:49 PM
But if it's a "handshake release" it would be nice to have contractual assurance vs just a handshake.

Quote from: theaardvark on May 23, 2023, 10:53:49 PM
That's what I would like to see.  A hockey RFA that gives an RFA player the rights to negotiate with any team, but after agreeing to a contract, the RFA team gets a chance to match

This is exactly what I was getting at.  Interesting that other leagues have created similar things.  Any league that is a notch "under" a "better" league (CFL vs NFL) could use such a limitation.  It would also help with the "player retention / turnover" problem the fans & league are always moaning about.  Canada-wide the fans know Kongbo & Desjar equal The Bombers.  Now they equal somewhere else.

Here's another point: if Kongbo & Desjar had never gone to the NFL, would they be Bombers today?  My hunch is yes.  Certainly one of them.  Our NAT turnover rate is pretty low.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on May 23, 2023, 08:28:05 PM
I looked over the Lions website as well as 3DN, as far as I can see Kongbo hasn't been interviewed recently, so it's hard to say why he decided to sign with the Lions.  Doubt we'll ever know, he doesn't seem to be a talkative guy.

;D :D ;D  Understatement!  I've never seen even 1 presser or TSN or BB.com vignette on Kongbo.  Not even a sideline interview.  Dude must actively avoid the press, because I'm sure he'd be a good story.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

The thing is, we don't need him, we just need an effective rotational end. Kongbo being Canadian made it somewhat easier to fit him on the roster but we started a third American defensive end plenty last year.

This is 100% true.  He's gravy.  He gives us more cheetah.  He keeps the 2 J's fresh without going "normal NAT" level of effectiveness.  With the new FAKENAT rules we might be able to achieve the same thing with a much cheaper end-of-the-line vet IMP.  Or one of the new ELC IMP DL steps up as a DI choice.

I would have liked to see Kongbo here, but and the end of the day, meh.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Pigskin on May 24, 2023, 05:38:16 PM
I know right now in Winnipeg it's hard to find apartments. One of the Bombers asked me over the weekend if I had any apartments coming open at the end of the month. However with that massive fire, there will be a long wait to get into anything at this time. When he told me who the player or players were, we decided to offer our basement suite. We met one of the players yesterday and he will be moving tonight. I know Kyrie Wilson has been doing this for a few years now.

That's very cool.  I guess we can't hope to find out who.  ??? :D   Not sure why apartments are hard to find, they are building them (and condos) absolutely everywhere for the last 7 years.

If you get lots of inside info from him we expect to hear all the dirt here!!   :o ;D ;D ;D
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on May 23, 2023, 08:44:12 PM
Not so sure about that, it's practical money management, excessive over spending on one player is going to leave them short all down the line.  I was thinking about Bailey's future the other day, poor guy is never going to get his bump in pay as long as Schoen, Lawler and Demski are lined up in front of him.

Bailey can easily become the #1 or #2 receiver.  He just needs to perform better than the rest and have the hot hand.  If we put him wide we can easily move him back into the slot if he's hot.  Let's say he goes 12 for 12 on his first pass attempts.  We'll give him the ball a lot then.  Buck & Zach very quickly focus on the hot hand: that's very apparent.

But Bailey has his share of dropsies and whiffs, often can't get open, and thus he's not the 1st/2nd read.  But he is a great sleeper you can run curls and crossers all night to then do the one post later in the game where no one follows him.  Every Bomber receiver is a legit TD threat.  Buck is blessed.
Never go full Rider!

theaardvark

Apartments are not hard to find.  *Affordable* apartments are another case.  Especially on less than a one year term. 

I remember when I had met some of the then new Bombers at a poker tournament, and gave some a iift "home" they were sharing a house that a Bomber supporter rented to them in Charleswood.  IIRC, Woodson, Stephan and Pencer were the roomies, and even sharing the house, the rent was tough for guys on PR/ELC/IR deals. 

Sure, there are lots of places available for the veteran guys making good coin.  Not sure if the TC dates allow for using dorm spaces for the TC camp fodder until the AR/PR are set and the guys can go out and seek longer term accommodations based on making the team. 

Pete

Quote from: TecnoGenius on May 25, 2023, 04:20:49 AM
This is 100% true.  He's gravy.  He gives us more cheetah.  He keeps the 2 J's fresh without going "normal NAT" level of effectiveness.  With the new FAKENAT rules we might be able to achieve the same thing with a much cheaper end-of-the-line vet IMP.  Or one of the new ELC IMP DL steps up as a DI choice.

I would have liked to see Kongbo here, but and the end of the day, meh.

The thing is if Jeffcoat gets hurt he'd become the main guy Last year we didn't have that. Also we also need to look at the future.Its rare a player gets more resilient when they get older

Sir Blue and Gold

You could probably make the case we'd be better off with Kongbo than Jeffcoat, however, it's not an easy one.

Kongbo has 4 sacks in 26 CFL games. In the NFL he played OLB which is similar, but not exactly like, a pure DE and he had basically zero stats and little playing time down there. He's quite literally never done it before in either league. It is rare for a Canadian to have the stature and ability that Kongbo has but it's a pretty big gamble none the less. You are basically betting a sizable SMS chunk that a 27-year-old is finally going to put it all together starting in June and have the durability and consistency that an starting DE needs to have.

I can see why we didn't.

DM83

Kongbo - was adequate.  I don't remember any big plays.  Of course, that doesn't mean he was ineffective, just as part of the D-Line did his expected assignments.  I do believe he has good speed, and of course, that makes him someone the offence has to be wary of.

Whoever pays him, is where he should go.  He should now focus on a CFL career.  I.M.O.

Waffler

Quote from: Pete on May 25, 2023, 02:17:41 PM
Also we also need to look at the future.
We are loading up for THIS year. Is it not widely assumed this is the last kick at the cat for this group? Not easy to keep so many vets and still outbid BC where he surely got starters money.
Buried in the essentially random digits of pi, you can find your eight-digit birthdate. (Is that a wink from God or just a lot of digits?) - David G. Myers

Pigskin

Quote from: theaardvark on May 25, 2023, 02:07:22 PM
Apartments are not hard to find.  *Affordable* apartments are another case.  Especially on less than a one year term. 

I remember when I had met some of the then new Bombers at a poker tournament, and gave some a iift "home" they were sharing a house that a Bomber supporter rented to them in Charleswood.  IIRC, Woodson, Stephan and Pencer were the roomies, and even sharing the house, the rent was tough for guys on PR/ELC/IR deals. 

Sure, there are lots of places available for the veteran guys making good coin.  Not sure if the TC dates allow for using dorm spaces for the TC camp fodder until the AR/PR are set and the guys can go out and seek longer term accommodations based on making the team. 

That's why we are willing to help these young players out. He's a second year player with not a lot of income, so we are giving him the same deal as our Ukrainian family. Showed up yesterday with a 2lb container of protein powder, a play book, and a large bag of laundry.

As far as inside info. He said AB is not practicing because we are trying to trade him. LOL

Blue In BC

Quote from: Pigskin on May 25, 2023, 05:48:47 PM
That's why we are willing to help these young players out. He's a second year player with not a lot of income, so we are giving him the same deal as our Ukrainian family. Showed up yesterday with a 2lb container of protein powder, a play book, and a large bag of laundry.

As far as inside info. He said AB is not practicing because we are trying to trade him. LOL

I can't imagine that to be true. He's not that expensive and is one of the top LB's in the entire league. We re-signed him to a new 2 year deal in late 2022.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Pigskin

Quote from: Blue In BC on May 25, 2023, 05:54:13 PM
I can't imagine that to be true. He's not that expensive and is one of the top LB's in the entire league. We re-signed him to a new 2 year deal in late 2022.

Really? You did see the LOL.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Pigskin on May 25, 2023, 06:19:39 PM
Really? You did see the LOL.

What wasn't as clear was whether the player added the " lol " or you did. If the player suggested that without the " lol " it could have greater meaning. If you added it, that would suggest disbelief on your part as it is on my part.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Pete

Quote from: Blue In BC on May 25, 2023, 06:44:04 PM

What wasn't as clear was whether the player added the " lol " or you did. If the player suggested that without the " lol " it could have greater meaning. If you added it, that would suggest disbelief on your part as it is on my part.
"rolls my eyes" c'mon this isn't even a thing.

blue_or_die

lmao @ blue in bc

never change, man!!  :D
#Ride?

Blue In BC

Quote from: blue_or_die on May 25, 2023, 07:27:03 PM
lmao @ blue in bc

never change, man!!  :D

I wasn't kidding. I took that Pigskin added the lol. If that's the case and a player had said that with a straight face, it would have some merit. What can be read misses the context of seeing what a person actually says and how he says it.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

theaardvark

Quote from: Blue In BC on May 25, 2023, 05:54:13 PM

{/sarcastica}

With the collection of Bombers in BC, no doubt they would be interested in him...  does he have a no trade clause in his deal?

{/-sarcastica}

The Zipp

Been traded to Hamilton cause he not a "fit" in bc

blue_gold_84

Quote from: The Zipp on June 05, 2023, 06:01:13 PM
Been traded to Hamilton cause he not a "fit" in bc

Because he called out other players at practice.

Bad look for the Lions, IMO.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Blue In BC

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on June 05, 2023, 07:29:36 PM

No kidding. Bombers hold out veterans with a coaching decision but you can tell those players want to practice rather than want to watch.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on June 05, 2023, 07:29:36 PM

Disagree, you don't walk into a dressing room full of vets. and start making demands, he probably doesn't know half of their names nevermind the past injuries they've suffered.  It's up to the staff to determine who practices and who is best to rest, just as the Bombers do.  It sounds like he's either exhibiting signs of ego or venting personal frustration.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on June 05, 2023, 08:48:52 PM
Disagree, you don't walk into a dressing room full of vets. and start making demands, he probably doesn't know half of their names nevermind the past injuries they've suffered.  It's up to the staff to determine who practices and who is best to rest, just as the Bombers do.  It sounds like he's either exhibiting signs of ego or venting personal frustration.

The impression in Vancouver was that some of the vets decided to coast rather than the coaches saying to coast ( take vet days ). Therein lies the difference.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

TecnoGenius

Disagree, you don't walk into a dressing room full of vets. and start making demands

You mean walk into a dressing room devoid of vets.  :D :D :D  That was the whole point.
Never go full Rider!

Pete

Heres what Kongbo tweeted in reply to him not being a fit

?Not a fit? because I called out star players not showing up for practice, and guys not wanting to work out. Culture matters, it?s called pro football for a reason.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Pete on June 05, 2023, 10:08:01 PM
Heres what Kongbo tweeted in reply to him not being a fit

?Not a fit? because I called out star players not showing up for practice, and guys not wanting to work out. Culture matters, it?s called pro football for a reason.

Hatcher bites back.

Hatch
@keonhatcher4
But you quit? Very Pro of you my boy. And you sure them feelings wasn't hurt cuz you wasn't in rotation like that?

Jesse

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on June 05, 2023, 10:40:55 PM
Hatcher bites back.

Hatch
@keonhatcher4
But you quit? Very Pro of you my boy. And you sure them feelings wasn't hurt cuz you wasn't in rotation like that?

Bryan Burnham responded too, just with a meme, but also doubting Kongbo.
My wife is amazing!

TecnoGenius

I'll believe Kongbo over the Lions' room, who probably never liked him (evil Bomber and all that).

However, we have to temper that with the fact that even in WPG-land there are a whackton of vets taking their vet days and not doing any camp stuff, PS stuff, week 1 practice stuff... How many reports have we had of X Bomber not participating over the last 4 weeks?  I'm sure it's the same in BC.  (Remember never-ever-ever-practice Loffler anyone?)

RHIP.
Never go full Rider!

Blue In BC

Quote from: TecnoGenius on June 05, 2023, 11:14:38 PM
I'll believe Kongbo over the Lions' room, who probably never liked him (evil Bomber and all that).

However, we have to temper that with the fact that even in WPG-land there are a whackton of vets taking their vet days and not doing any camp stuff, PS stuff, week 1 practice stuff... How many reports have we had of X Bomber not participating over the last 4 weeks?  I'm sure it's the same in BC.  (Remember never-ever-ever-practice Loffler anyone?)

RHIP.

The difference are that our coaches are telling guys to not practice. In Vancouver it seems players have lower work ethic as suggested by Kongbo.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

M.O.A.B.

Kongbo never had a problem rotating with the Jeffs. So I dont believe Hatcher's tweet.

ModAdmin

According to coach Rick Campbell, Kongbo was not happy with the amount of reps he was getting on D.  Seems a bit odd for a guy new to the team but maybe Kongbo was creating a negative vibe among the team as well as complaining to the coach.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

theaardvark

Quote from: M.O.A.B. on June 06, 2023, 01:48:26 AM
Kongbo never had a problem rotating with the Jeffs. So I dont believe Hatcher's tweet.

Kongbo hadn't had NFL live reps when he rotated with the Jeffs....  Muamba had a completely different attitude after his NFL stint... no doubt it can change your outlook

Sir Blue and Gold

Ultimately, if you are rejected by the team's leadership after a week you've done something wrong. He may have had a valid point or he may not have. Regardless he went about it the wrong way because getting called out and traded a week after signing is a bad look. Fit in first.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: NewBlue on June 06, 2023, 11:53:57 AM
FIFFO?  :D

That's exactly what he failed to do.  It should be interesting with him going to Hamilton, if anything he'll be in line for less reps and he should probably refrain from telling Ja'Gared Davis how to be a pro.

blue_gold_84

What demands did he make?

It's a bad look for a team that hasn't accomplished much in recent years outside of land a phenom QB who is no longer there anymore.

This reflects poorly on the Lions and I'll gladly die on that hill.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

theaardvark

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on June 06, 2023, 05:08:38 PM
What demands did he make?

It's a bad look for a team that hasn't accomplished much in recent years outside of land a phenom QB who is no longer there anymore.

This reflects poorly on the Lions and I'll gladly die on that hill.

Poorly?  You are being too kind...

When a player thinks his teamates aren't giving enough effort, and the *coaches* do not agree with him, especially when that player was just signed, is a NAT, has 2 GC rings, has just come back from live reps in the NFL and his only CFL time has been spent with a team that is widely known for its work ethic.

That's a signal flare sent up that BC is not holding their players up to the standard that Kongbo was accustomed to here and in the NFL, and that is not poorly, that is alarming.

The fact that the GM traded him that quick, and that cheap says a lot as well.  You have to wonder how much the owner knew about this and if he signed off, because this clusterpooch sign and trade deal that included cutting Lemon could affect seat sales... especially if the struggle out of the gate, and if Kongbo and Lemon do well.

Not a great start to the year for BC.

ModAdmin

Quote from: M.O.A.B. on June 06, 2023, 01:48:26 AM

Kongbo was rotating in for Jeffcoat and Jefferson for a good part of the time and who were better than him.  I'm sure he would have liked more reps but he knew the two Jeffs were better and ahead of him on the depth chart.  He was also playing for a Grey Cup calibre team, more incentive to be cooperative with the Bombers.  Merely challenging teammates to be better would not likely get him turfed from the Lions.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

Pete

I am curious however what if anything was said to Kongbo when they got him to sign... for instance was he told he was expected to assume a leadership role, was he signed to be a starting end etc. If it was made clear from the start to him that he was being signed as a rotational player maybe this would have been avoided or not been a bc lion

Lincoln Locomotive

Releasing Lemon and signing Kongbo raised a lot of eyebrows and if he came into the locker room he would need to "check in" with the team who may have been affected by Lemon's release.     Tough spot for anyone to be in and obviously he didn't fit in to the locker room and was subsequently traded.    Big loss for BC and a big gain for the TiCats who already have a pretty stout Defence.    Wonder if he'll dress against his former team?
Bomber fan for life

blueraid

I wonder if the leos signed Kongbo to keep him off of our roster....Many players on our club now, have taken a discount to play here because of our successes lately ....guess Kongbo didn't quite see it that way ....went for the cash and most likely is disappointed how things have gone....I wish him well in Ham....except when they play us....We could see his return here at some point ....possibly....hopefully

Jesse

Quote from: blueraid on June 07, 2023, 03:18:50 PM
I wonder if the leos signed Kongbo to keep him off of our roster....Many players on our club now, have taken a discount to play here because of our successes lately ....guess Kongbo didn't quite see it that way ....went for the cash and most likely is disappointed how things have gone....I wish him well in Ham....except when they play us....We could see his return here at some point ....possibly....hopefully

I don?t think we had any chance at Kongbo - both for cap and play time reasons.
My wife is amazing!

theaardvark

Quote from: blueraid on June 07, 2023, 03:18:50 PM

There is no doubt in my mind that they signed Kongbo with the intention of starting him (releasing Lemon), and he signed for that reason and the "going home" factor.  Players with family in BC go home (Couture, Chungh)  All money things being equal, those factors weigh heavily towards signing in BC.  And we can bet BC did pay him well...

Throw Long Bannatyne

Imagine a new guy shows up at work and within a week he's pointing fingers, telling workmates how to do their jobs and commenting on how everyone else should be motivated like he is.   Are we really surprised when people like this get voted off the island quickly? 

VictorRomano

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on June 07, 2023, 04:35:50 PM
Imagine a new guy shows up at work and within a week he's pointing fingers, telling workmates how to do their jobs and commenting on how everyone else should be motivated like he is.   Are we really surprised when people like this get voted off the island quickly? 

When the new workmate has a pair of back-to-back awards (GC rings) that recognize him (and his hard work, motivation, and dedication) as an integral part of the best working group in the nation (Bombers), and recently left this country to work in the same industry but several orders of magnitude bigger and better than even the best organization in this country (NFL) before returning to work with an inferior organization in the same industry (BC/CFL), you might want to listen to what he has to say.....

Just because what the man says is unpopular (in BC) doesn't make him wrong.

theaardvark

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on June 07, 2023, 04:35:50 PM
Imagine a new guy shows up at work and within a week he's pointing fingers, telling workmates how to do their jobs and commenting on how everyone else should be motivated like he is.   Are we really surprised when people like this get voted off the island quickly? 

Gdetting "voted off the island" for trying too hard, and observing that others are not trying hard enough "reflects poorly" on the organization.  That an organization, at any level, does not inspire the highest level of work ethic and compete is worrisome for that organization, and an explanation for lack of success.  You'd think the owner would weigh in on this quick... can't imagine the fans are liking the situation.

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: theaardvark on June 07, 2023, 04:49:42 PM
Gdetting "voted off the island" for trying too hard, and observing that others are not trying hard enough "reflects poorly" on the organization.  That an organization, at any level, does not inspire the highest level of work ethic and compete is worrisome for that organization, and an explanation for lack of success.  You'd think the owner would weigh in on this quick... can't imagine the fans are liking the situation.

And if this happened in Winnipeg you would be mental jumping jacks trying to figure out every possible way it was Kongbo's fault.

theaardvark

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on June 07, 2023, 04:51:13 PM
And if this happened in Winnipeg you would be mental jumping jacks trying to figure out every possible way it was Kongbo's fault.

Pretty sure I'd have the same response... but I'm also pretty sure no O'Shea led team would ever have anyone complaining that anyone did not work hard enough.  The day that happens, we should be looking fr a new coach.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: theaardvark on June 07, 2023, 04:49:42 PM

Cut and dried, they dealt with it quickly, controversy is over.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: VictorRomano on June 07, 2023, 04:43:58 PM
When the new workmate has a pair of back-to-back awards (GC rings) that recognize him (and his hard work, motivation, and dedication) as an integral part of the best working group in the nation (Bombers), and recently left this country to work in the same industry but several orders of magnitude bigger and better than even the best organization in this country (NFL) before returning to work with an inferior organization in the same industry (BC/CFL), you might want to listen to what he has to say.....

Just because what the man says is unpopular (in BC) doesn't make him wrong.

Victor Romano, you may be that guy!  ;D

Pigskin

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on June 07, 2023, 05:24:42 PM
Cut and dried, they dealt with it quickly, controversy is over.

I liked how quickly they took care of it.

blueraid

I wonder how a player with thoughts of 'going home'  ...(that is his home) and signing a very lucrative contract, can go from a penthouse situation to the outhouse in that amount of time.....Something isn't adding up here....There hasn't been any complaints from other organizations where Kongbo has played....including here and yet everything ran off the tracks almost immediately...My thoughts are that he has seen and played for teams (NFL) and in the CFL that held a higher standard (that would be us) with regard to work ethic, so he brought it up......Dont see why a guy should have been drummed off of a club for that....but that's what happened according to reports....We'll see how this all plays out with his tenure with the Cats.....should say a lot 

blue_gold_84

Sounds to me like they're more than a few sensitive types in the Lions organization right now.

The Lions did him a favour in the end, too. ;D
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

TecnoGenius

In any job you take your beefs to your boss first; quietly and behind closed doors.  Did Kongbo do that?  I don't know.

You can't take your beefs about the team/boss to your peers (or boss) in the open and talk trash about the team/boss.  If you do that then a competent boss will kick you to the curb.  You cannot have the players undermining your authority and you cannot have players openly dissing you to your face.

Once a HC loses the locker room, they'll never get it back.  I think Dickenson The Lesser reached that point last year.  And I'm sure you all can think of HC's that have allowed disrespect and later their jobs in the same manner.
Never go full Rider!

Waffler

My opinion was that it was just too soon to talk. You want be a leader? Good but show it first, gain respect and then talk.
Buried in the essentially random digits of pi, you can find your eight-digit birthdate. (Is that a wink from God or just a lot of digits?) - David G. Myers

Jesse

Quote from: Waffler on June 07, 2023, 10:50:08 PM
My opinion was that it was just too soon to talk. You want be a leader? Good but show it first, gain respect and then talk.

I think that's a big part of it. He has some pedigree, but he didn't have the background that Bighill, for example, had when he joined our team.
My wife is amazing!

Pigskin

Our house quest had a few team mates over last night for a BQ.  Some interesting comments most in favor of JK.

Norm W

Interesting comments, I expected to see it on the field last night, I picked Calgary expecting to see BC in a little disarray. Saw none of that, in fact saw a team that looked pretty good in a lot of spots. So where does Lemon land? its been quiet on that front.
No such thing as too much jet fuel in the tanks, unless your'e on fire :)

TecnoGenius

For those that didn't check the charts, HAM has instantly rostered in Kongbo for game 1 at right side DE behind Davis.  It'll be up to Yoshi and Neuf to keep those 2 at bay.
Never go full Rider!