Tipping @IGF

Started by TecnoGenius, June 08, 2023, 02:07:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you tip at the food/drink concessions @ IGF?

Always
6 (16.7%)
Mostly
5 (13.9%)
Rarely
11 (30.6%)
Never
14 (38.9%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Voting closed: June 12, 2023, 02:07:16 AM

DM83

I also worked at the old stadium and arena as a kiosk bartender  we had tip jars.  For some shows, us little kiosks served shots and beer people could make twenty a night.  But for most moose games, a family affair, we would be  making $7.00ish.  But when we closed at the end of the second pd., after cleanup, there was still a bit of the game.  Concerts were the best.  sometimes we could peak through the curtains, and when the barclosed actually caught some of the shows.

But the people are essentially working for tips.  Pay was minimum or a bit above.  (Plus a bit of free entertainment)
if it is all taken off the card, I do think everything is pooled and averaged, averaged.

Phoenix Coyotes game this past winter 10 ounce can $17.00, and we swiped it ourselves. I had one and went to theWineand beer (liquor store and bought a case for the same.  Good times are gone.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on June 08, 2023, 05:51:57 PM
Tipping is predominantly a North American thing. And it's due to greedy corporate interests and speaks to a broader issue related to underpaid, overworked employees in the service industry.

Much of Europe has tips, but they are smaller (4% is considered generous in Germany).

But tipping and the incentive it provides to servers in a normal restaurant setting is a good thing.  I have family in Denmark, where there is zero tipping.  The service is uniformly bad.  No one tries to be nice, or quick, or anything.  It's like service at your local in-person govt office.  And the prices are so high due to the built-in tip "living wage" prices that normal people rarely eat out there.  Instead of the N.American 3-5 times a month eating out they eat out 3-5 times a year.  Careful what you wish for.
Never go full Rider!

Pigskin

If you gave 4% at Red Lobster they probably wouldn't  let you out the door. Last week we went there for my Grandson's birthday. The bill came to $440.00, my wife tipped 25%/$110.00 and we got some attitude from the server. What is the normal tip now?
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

NewBlue

Quote from: Pigskin on June 08, 2023, 08:22:14 PM
If you gave 4% at Red Lobster they probably wouldn't  let you out the door. Last week we went there for my Grandson's birthday. The bill came to $440.00, my wife tipped 25%/$110.00 and we got some attitude from the server. What is the normal tip now?

Holy Shot!  If I'm tipping $100, the server better be sending me a thankyou card!
And attitude for that?  LOL, *** is the world coming to?

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: Pigskin on June 08, 2023, 08:22:14 PM
*** the server is a jerk. That is a good tip!
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

55StickCar

If service is good and they are not asking for the tip including the G.S.T./H.S.T. they will get 18%. If they do I will calculate the before tax number and give 15%. Never when I pick it up myself though.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: 55StickCar on June 09, 2023, 01:28:29 PM
If service is good and they are not asking for the tip including the G.S.T./H.S.T. they will get 18%. If they do I will calculate the before tax number and give 15%. Never when I pick it up myself though.

Ya, that's my big peeve: a tip should be on the before-tax amount.  Absolutely zero machines that have preset 10/15/20 amounts use the pre-tax amount.  In fact, the way they punch the number in the machine doesn't even know the pre-tax amount.

You don't want to tip the govt taking your extra 12%!!  Thanks gov!   :P

I looked at all my IGF bills from PS2 game and I gave over $10 in tips (no booze purchased).  Yikes, might have to scale that back.

The worst part is, the way the machine works, I'm pretty sure the staff doesn't even know you tipped at all so they don't know to give you special treatment.  I could put $100 tip in there and I don't think they'd have a clue without carefully looking at the results after you paid (and that's not happening).  You'd need to install some sort of lotto-649 machine with a display on a stick that sets off bells and whistles when you tip, or something.  8)

At least with cash they could hear the clink in the cup and they'd always say an extra "thanks" and smile.
Never go full Rider!

Pigskin

Quote from: 55StickCar on June 09, 2023, 01:28:29 PM

We also don't tip on taxes. I do most of the pickup orders, and I never tip for pickup. 18%, I think I am going to have to speak to wife about her 25% tips. lol.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: Pigskin on June 09, 2023, 05:43:49 PM
We also don't tip on taxes. I do most of the pickup orders, and I never tip for pickup. 18%, I think I am going to have to speak to wife about her 25% tips. lol.
lol you need to I think, yes.
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

1chad

I don't like the subtle push towards tipping with the auto suggested tips.  If I order and then am shuffled down to the end of the counter to pick up my food, I don't tip for that.

Foxhound

In my opinion there are far too many tipplers at IGF and other sports venues already. Me I go to stadiums and arenas because I'm serious about watching the game.

;)
Radically Canadian!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Foxhound on June 10, 2023, 02:40:45 PM
In my opinion there are far too many tipplers at IGF and other sports venues already. Me I go to stadiums and arenas because I'm serious about watching the game.

Haha, I assume you mean, uh, people partaking of too much spirited beverage?  Maybe, my son was noticing quite a few in our area all night.  He laughs at them.

But it takes all kinds to fill a stadium and if they want to buy tickets and donate profit to WFC, the more the merrier!  :P  They do have the advantage of providing some extra free entertainment, and they are generally loud which helps mess with the opponent.  I've yet to have a serious problem with any tippler @IGF.

I too want to watch the game in a serious (yet loud) manner; and thus why we sit mostly alone in the "boonies" of the stadium.
Never go full Rider!