Kongbo signs in BC...and traded to Hamilton

Started by Pete, May 21, 2023, 09:49:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DM83

Why is a reference to salary cap relevant when a third of the league ignores it?   

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Pigskin on May 22, 2023, 04:23:33 AM
BC already had a number of good Canadian DL. With Kongbo coming in, BC will  probably have to make a few roster moves to stay close to the cap.

The Lions also cut Shawn Lemon who qualifies as a Fake Natl. at the same time they signed Kongbo.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on May 22, 2023, 02:56:05 PM
The Lions also cut Shawn Lemon who qualifies as a Fake Natl. at the same time they signed Kongbo.

Yes but that only means Lemon could have been on the field 49% of the time. Kongbo could be on the field more especially if there are any injuries etc.

Lemon would have been a DI at best and this changes the Lions options for their DI's.

He's played for 6 CFL teams and changed teams on a nearly seasonal basis. Montreal, Hamilton and Winnipeg are the only teams he hasn't played for yet. I always found that interesting since it was Winnipeg that brought him to the CFL but he didn't / wouldn't report for some reason.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

kkc60

sucks about kongbo. makes sense, he would want to have a shot at more playing time. that being said, if he could have replaced Jeffcoat in the future, that would?ve been nice with Bennett already here

TecnoGenius

I still don't like how the CFL-NFL-CFL system works.  It always seems to leave a bad taste in my mouth.  I think it should be that if you do the NFL thing and return that your last CFL team should get the right of first refusal.  Yes, regardless of CFL signing status at the time.

WPG should have been given first shot at Desjar and Kongbo (and Henoc, and...).  Maybe if they were free agents they can get offers at other CFL teams but WPG would have the right to match that offer and keep the player.

We could have used Kongbo for sure.  Our DL depth is the weakest link.  We still don't have the personnel to do the 2019 4-DE cheetah.

How about Lemonator if no one picks him up and he's uber cheap?  Dude has a good attitude and lots of experience and counts as FAKENAT.
Never go full Rider!

theaardvark

We released Kongbo from valid contracts twice to pursue NFL options.  But he is "BC homegrown" according to the reports of his signing out there.  We got some good years out of him, but he was free to choose where to sign.

Loved him in rotation with the Jeffs and Hansen, and I'm sure he loved playing here under Hall and Osh, but "going home" usually trumps a lot. 
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Jesse

Quote from: TecnoGenius on May 22, 2023, 08:05:21 PM
I still don't like how the CFL-NFL-CFL system works.  It always seems to leave a bad taste in my mouth.  I think it should be that if you do the NFL thing and return that your last CFL team should get the right of first refusal.  Yes, regardless of CFL signing status at the time.

WPG should have been given first shot at Desjar and Kongbo (and Henoc, and...).  Maybe if they were free agents they can get offers at other CFL teams but WPG would have the right to match that offer and keep the player.

We could have used Kongbo for sure.  Our DL depth is the weakest link.  We still don't have the personnel to do the 2019 4-DE cheetah.

How about Lemonator if no one picks him up and he's uber cheap?  Dude has a good attitude and lots of experience and counts as FAKENAT.

Why would we have first shot at free agents? It doesn't make any sense.
My wife is amazing!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Jesse on May 22, 2023, 10:32:08 PM

Ya, you always tell me.  But look how many people are like "why couldn't returning player X sign in WPG?".

Since we don't know much (yet?) about Kongbo, it could be he never even talked to WPG before signing in BC.  All legit and legal and fine, but it irks me.
Never go full Rider!

Blue In BC

Quote from: TecnoGenius on May 22, 2023, 08:05:21 PM

Even if Lemon is cheap he'd take a spot as a DI. If one of the rookies looks good, that might be short term gain by Lemon on the AR. OTOH, if that rookie accepts a PR spot initially then perhaps that could work.

The Fakenat gives us an advantage from a rotational point of view, potentially.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

theaardvark

Quote from: Jesse on May 22, 2023, 10:32:08 PM

Not all FA, but FA that are "released" from valid contracts to pursue NFL opportunities.  These should have some form of RFA status, like an opportunity to match..
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: theaardvark on May 23, 2023, 02:11:51 PM
Not all FA, but FA that are "released" from valid contracts to pursue NFL opportunities.  These should have some form of RFA status, like an opportunity to match..

Redistribution of talent is good. Isn't it? Or should we say what goes around comes around? Or should we just not forget so quickly?

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/bc-lions-adam-bighill-release-nfl
https://www.sportsnet.ca/football/cfl/winnipeg-blue-bombers-sign-linebacker-adam-bighill-one-year-deal/

Jesse

Quote from: theaardvark on May 23, 2023, 02:11:51 PM

Every team does, that's the beauty of FA.
My wife is amazing!

Throw Long Bannatyne

During yesterday's presser O'Shea didn't seem to know if they pursued Kongbo or not. I would think he would be more in the loop on critical player movement but perhaps he is playing less of a role in player selection than he did during their rebuilding years.  As for Walters I suspect he got outbid, plus Kongbo having Surrey roots probably helped determine his destination.

blue_or_die

Quote from: Jesse on May 23, 2023, 03:13:20 PM
Every team does, that's the beauty of FA.

I could be wrong on this, but it was my understanding that RFA status (like in e.g. hockey) formally allows teams to bid on a player's services regardless of the wishes of the player. So if Kongbo for example knew he wanted to play in BC, an RFA status wouldn't allow him to sign until the Bombers had a chance to try and negotiate.
#Ride?

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on May 22, 2023, 12:20:06 AM
You're right, Walters decided to spend an excess of money on an Import receiver, in doing so he left them $$ short in an area of real need.

Easy to say this with the gift of hindsight. Rationally, however, it's nonsense.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.