Official Game Day Thread - BC at Winnipeg November 13, 2022 Western Final

Started by ModAdmin, November 11, 2022, 09:53:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TecnoGenius

Quote from: buckzumhoff on November 14, 2022, 12:35:36 AM
We should have been up 14 points in the first few minutes. Bombers were taking it to them . then jt was a battle of ball control and good runs by Olievera. Could have put the game out of reach early.

Sitting here sick a few days I rewatched the '21 WDF.  I didn't want to mention it here much, so as not to jinx us.  But that game should have been 21 or 28 to 0 by the half.  I knew WPG wasn't going to repeat that fiasco.  I really noticed how every player was holding that ball like it was their baby.  Even Zach didn't do his usual strip-fumble thing.

So no matter how messy you think this game looked, just think back to the '21 WDF.  And then be thankful!

And BO continues to be 100% on ball security.  Kudos to him.  What an amazing performance.  I knew he was going to blow it out (that's why I had him in fantasy), but even I didn't expect the stats he put up!  My only regret is that Prukop TD they didn't give it to BO on the first attempt (cost me 6... grrrr).
Never go full Rider!

Pigskin

Quote from: Blue In BC on November 14, 2022, 12:10:11 AM
We won. Start polishing the Grey Cup. I don't want to get overly confidant but engraving instructions to follow shortly. :)

Lawrence should have knocked down his int. That cost us about 30 yards in field position. Brain fart. Aside from that he played well.

Rose made an int after turning on " play off mode ". :)

Collaros didn't look to seriously injured but I guess we'll see how his week goes. Argos can't stop the run, so we'll just pound the ball.

Totally agree. Not sure what he was thinking on that play. Total brain fart.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Blue72 on November 14, 2022, 01:05:39 AM
With all of our starting receivers we had on the field today, Buck sure didn't call their numbers very much or at all.

Didn't need to.  In the pre-game thread I called the strategy and Buck delivered.  It was the smart play for our pass-heavy O.  They prep for that and we just run down their throat instead.  Awesome.  Kept the ball away from their awesome DBs and instead dealt with the weak LB corps mostly.

Quote from: ModAdmin on November 14, 2022, 04:10:05 AM
Who da thought.  BC had a grand total of 28 yards rushing tonight, Brady 130 yards on his own.

I'm not surprised at all.  Hall's mantra: stop the run.  That's it.  BC should have dressed 2 RB or left hurting Butler at home.  That mistake might have cost them the game.

Quote from: Pete on November 14, 2022, 01:10:52 AM
I was really surprized that Ellingson did not have a catch let alone impact the game.

Ellingson didn't even have an attempt!!  Not even a look!  Like his last season game, he's just a decoy for some reason.  I hope to find out why very soon...
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on November 14, 2022, 02:32:01 AM
just rewatching it on TV. He was hampered no question. He need him doing what he does. I think we will be fine.

He looked fine waking around at the end of the game. It would have been been best he did not get nicked at all but I think we are in good shape.

Nope, Zach was limping bad post-game, watch again.  Zach's in bad shape and I was screaming that the TV when he got up limping.  Such a risk and waste for 2 yards when we didn't even need them.  He needs stricter instructions.  He needs to be Ricky Ray.  Never. Run.

The only hope now is that whatever it is is minor enough to play on next week all taped up.  He can still win just sitting in the pocket.  No more runs.

Zach dropped an "s" and "f" bomb on live TV in the trophy ceremony.  I think they had already hopped him up on something by that point for the pain.  He was really raucous!  Slightly out of character, but I love the enthusiasm!  Let's go!
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: M.O.A.B. on November 14, 2022, 03:31:42 AM
I like how the Rider fans are put on a dillema on who to cheef for on Grey Cup? either the Bombers or Andrew Harris

Awesome MOAB.  That's the MOADilemmas!  Haha, their heads must be exploding.  Great insight!  Time to head over to Ridersfans to harvest some more tears...  ;) ;)
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Ellingson: I had thought he had no targets.  1Q6:12 the Rugamba INT-whiff was a pass to Ellingson, but he quits on the play and BC has blanket rush-3 coverage.  Poor decision by Zach.

And another at 1Q3:47!!  That's the TJ Lee almost-INT.  Never noticed these early balls were going to GE2.  This is half on Zach and half on GE not being aware and coming back to the ball.

Anyhow, that might have gone partway to putting GE2 in Buck & Zach's doghouse for the rest of the game.

Buck & Zach & MOS will have to study the film, but if GE2 is deemed responsible / lack of effort, could we see GE2 benched for the GC in favor of McCrae?  My initial take would be "no", but you never know... GE does have GC experience/ring, but if he's still nicked or his head's not in the game...  These 2 plays were very close to disaster if they BC had held onto the ball.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

You wanna see some really fun D that I bet you missed?  2Q11:17 Fatboi takes on the C and RG by himself, and they aren't holding him, he's holding them!!  He is stopping both from getting out to run block for Butler.  The unblocked Clements gets in the B gap to tackle Butler for a loss.  Actually, I'm not so sure the final tackle isn't also owed to Fatboi as he's reaching through both and knocking them into their own guy.  Clements#0 appears to get the feet, but I'm not so sure!

This play gives me so much pleasure I can't even begin to describe it.  Hall and MOS are gonna love this one in film study.  I need to pay even more attention to Fatboi than I normally do!  Maybe he's been doing this all year!  And here I was thinking it was Fatboi who was getting double-teamed and being ineffective...
Never go full Rider!

Blue In BC

Lions fans are very bitter today. It's interesting that they are already predicting to be Grey Cup favourites going into 2023. I don't know why fans make those sorts of predictions before a given season.

Nobody knows what their 2023 roster will look like next season, including the Bombers. Fans are still waiting to see if Rourke gets an NFL opportunity. If he stays that's great but if they give him the predicted $500K, it will cost them players elsewhere. Either way that doesn't mean the Lions will not be fighting for top spot.

If just means 2023 is not written yet.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Blue In BC

It's impressive that the Bombers find ways to overcome adversity. There were enough mistakes to lose several games. The blocked punt penalty was correct and unfortunate but what a swing of momentum in the following series.  Fumbled punt on our own 3.

Two missed converts and a Lions return for a 2 pointer.

Football is a game of +/- plays. Winning is a matter of finding more + plays and we're very good at doing that.

Playing perfect football is never easy. I don't expect that. I like that we always brush off the things that don't go our way and dig into the next play.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Blue In BC on November 14, 2022, 01:43:45 PM
Lions fans are very bitter today. It's interesting that they are already predicting to be Grey Cup favourites going into 2023. I don't know why fans make those sorts of predictions before a given season.

Their team's 2022 campaign is done. Next season is all they have now. Well, that and being bitter. ;D
#forthew
лава Україні!
井の中の蛙大海を知らず
What a wretched timeline.

Blue In BC

18 regular season games and 58 minutes into the WDF, Collaros gets injured on a clean play. It shows how difficult it is to survives the physicality of the sport for an entire season.

I hope he'll be ok for the Grey Cup but that's not certain at the moment. What a shame that would be for all fans.

I'm going to re-watch the WDF shortly. Lots of unexpected events / plays or whatever you want to call them. It had everything you could imagine. Good and bad but we came out on the right end.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

TBURGESS

Both teams had a special teams TD. Both teams dropped a couple of picks. Both teams got to the QB's.

The game was won because we were the only team who could run the ball.
Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.

Pigskin

Quote from: Blue In BC on November 14, 2022, 01:43:45 PM

Nobody knows what their 2023 roster will look like next season, including the Bombers. Fans are still waiting to see if Rourke gets an NFL opportunity. If he stays that's great but if they give him the predicted $500K, it will cost them players elsewhere. Either way that doesn't mean the Lions will not be fighting for top spot.

If just means 2023 is not written yet.

Well, if they can keep Kid Canada, they probably are one of the better teams in the CFL next season. They have tons of Canadian talent on the DL, they also have two pretty good Canadian LB's. There OL has improved a lot from last year. BC is headed in the right direction. But there is the Big If, and I think Kid Canada is in the NFL next season. 
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Pigskin on November 14, 2022, 03:55:08 PM
Well, if they can keep Kid Canada, they probably are one of the better teams in the CFL next season. They have tons of Canadian talent on the DL, they also have two pretty good Canadian LB's. There OL has improved a lot from last year. BC is headed in the right direction. But there is the Big If, and I think Kid Canada is in the NFL next season. 

Yes and no. Like many teams they will have a ton of potential free agents. Who they gain or lose in free agency is the story to be told. They have a very good nucleus of players and a potential MOP at QB at the moment.

I don't know whether Rourke will get an NFL offer this off season. Even if he does he may choose a $500K deal to stay in the CFL for now. Bird in hand so to speak. No doubt he will have raised some interest from NFL teams.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

Blue In BC

Just re-watched the game.

A short summary we be that we out coached the Lions at every level. Players by in large executed the game strategies and overcame mistakes.

I think we had opportunities to int about 5 additional passes and didn't. Lions had a few chances of doing the same. Weather and some luck at the right time came into play.

In the 4th Q Hatcher had a catch on the sideline and was ruled out of bounds after getting past Alexander. Even in the replay it was difficult to see. It looked like a sure TD otherwise.

On Grant's TD return a couple of Lions missed him by 6" length in grasp.

Lions turnover on downs on short 3rd down play.

Literally a game of inches on a bunch of plays.

Darby had a very good game on defence. Made some excellent plays late in the game. Great to have him back.

The entire secondary played well.
2019 Grey Cup Champions