Official Game Day Thread - BC at Winnipeg November 13, 2022 Western Final

Started by ModAdmin, November 11, 2022, 09:53:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

M.O.A.B.

Funny incident on the West Div trophy presentation, Yoshi stopped Demski in waiving the Bombers flag so it wont touch the trophy. Demski politely comply.  ;D

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Blue In BC on November 14, 2022, 01:46:12 PM
Football is a game of +/- plays. Winning is a matter of finding more + plays and we're very good at doing that.

Yup.  I also attribute the win to 3 key D plays of the "ultimate effort" variety (like Kanneh tripping that QB sneak to win the GC).

1. Alexander got just enough of Hatcher to force him out.  (Yes, he really did touch the line, by 2 inches probably, confirmed on my computer.)  This was a sure TD.  (Who blew the coverage there, as surely BA was "backup" and not Hatcher's guy?)

2. Willie got just enough of Rourke's toe to trip him up on a scramble.

3. Biggie got just enough of someone to trip him up and save a big gain.

In all cases our D guy was pressing to the max to get that extra inch of reach to make the play.  Those were huge.  Much of the game was like that.  We did that all game, and BC didn't.  We win.

What I find remarkable is nearly every player had a turn doing that.  They each had a "superman" moment.  Especially on D.  We all thought our O would win the game, but our D played basically as well as the '21 "once in a century" D.  This is remarkable given all the superstars we lost in FA, and all the players still on IR.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Blue In BC on November 14, 2022, 04:37:28 PM
Just re-watched the game.

A short summary we be that we out coached the Lions at every level. Players by in large executed the game strategies and overcame mistakes.

This.  It was clearly visible.  Each unit coach, monster.  Each coordinator, monster.  HC, monster.

Look at the timecount at 2min left in 1H.  Normally a loss of down.  But MOS thought quickly and moved them back 10.  Instead of 3rd & 2 (where they go for it) they get 2nd & 12, but more importantly it cost BC FG range.

WFC is a well-oiled machine juggernaut.  Man do they have it down to a science.  Keeping the same coaches together (mostly) year after year really helps.  Hope that continues as we fend off the headhunters.

I think we had opportunities to int about 5 additional passes and didn't. Lions had a few chances of doing the same. Weather and some luck at the right time came into play.

Weather was a huge factor.  BC tried to act like it was nothing, but it really did hurt them.  Some players, like Butler, couldn't function at all in the cold (did he catch a single one of his zillion dump pass targets?).

And, yes, weather also affect us.  No way we drop all those INTs in the summer.  The snow and cold made things, overall, pretty sloppy for both sides.

Lions turnover on downs on short 3rd down play.

This was the back breaker IMHO.  I still haven't identified the player who submarined Pipkin, but that player is the hero there.

Darby had a very good game on defence. Made some excellent plays late in the game. Great to have him back.

I think we find a way to keep Darby in FA.  Maybe he's learned his lesson about going to other teams  ;D ;D
Never go full Rider!

blue_gold_84

I'd love to see Darby signed for another year or two. He's a beauty.
#forthew
лава Україні!
井の中の蛙大海を知らず
What a wretched timeline.

TecnoGenius

Looking at the 3Q1:44 3rd down stop a little more.  I couldn't tell who it was live.  Now it's clear that it's 99 Lawson.  He's the one submarining under/beside the C and screwing up the A-gap for BC.

First off, I thought the spot was generous (to us) live, I thought they maybe had a foot more (and thus 1st down).  Now I see refs got it right on!  The overhead shot lets us measure precisely because you can see his butt cheeks are basically at the far edge of the 10-yard-interval line.  The ball is being clutched to his gut as is normal.  So if the distance from his butt to his gut is under 1 yard (it is, measure yourself!), then he didn't reach the 1st down line at the next yard line delimiter.

It's a fascinating play watching Lawson!  I'm not sure I've ever seen that technique before.  He submarines low straight to the ground but twists his body upside down on the way down!  So now his face is facing up and he can see everything.  He sees the carrier is going straight over him and grabs at Pipkin's feet with his arms.  And then is trying to grab at Pipkin's leg/body with his legs.  It's like a college wrestling move!

Bighill eventually comes in to make sure momentum stops, but by then Lawson has a foot in a bear hug, and Pipkin has no leverage to continue.

If Lawson isn't there, it's a first down for sure.  He probably got credit for the tackle.

Dude deserves some love from us on one of the most pivotal plays of the game!  Might need to ensure he keeps a roster spot next year, too!  Oh, and did I mention yet he's a NAT?!  Might be the heir to Fatboi...
Never go full Rider!

3rdand1.5

Just looked at the BC Lions FA list.....they have a-lot of money worth of O-line hitting F/A, if Rourke does go NFL bound (and his low salary) BC will have some interesting cap decisions

Pigskin

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on November 15, 2022, 12:29:30 AM
I'd love to see Darby signed for another year or two. He's a beauty.

Darby had a very good game. So, did Clements. Rose had 8 tackles and an Int. JJ94 was also on a mission, which was nice to see. Sayles was tough in the middle all day. Miller had 4 ST tackles, and Cole who has been playing very well on ST lately had 2 tackles.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: Pigskin on November 15, 2022, 10:53:23 PM
Darby had a very good game. So, did Clements. Rose had 8 tackles and an Int. JJ94 was also on a mission, which was nice to see. Sayles was tough in the middle all day. Miller had 4 ST tackles, and Cole who has been playing very well on ST lately had 2 tackles.
Hey the D and coverage units seem to be in top notch health and scheme. I look for elite performances in the Grey Cup game from both.
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

GOLDMEMBER

Why did MOS not challenge the obvious fumble on the Miller hit on The kick returner around the 7 min mark of the 3rd quarter? It was an obvious fumble. But I guess no one bothered to recover it for the Bombers. ST just went to go celebrate with Miller lol. Need to be more aware guys I guess.

GOLDMEMBER

Gotta be said Bailey had an amazing game blocking on the run plays. Dude is an outstanding physical player. Could be the best blocking WR in the league.

GOLDMEMBER

Watching this game over again certainly gives me confidence heading into another cold weather game in Regina with the sun down. Has Toronto even played a game in the cold yet this year? The OL and DL were both just playing very well.

J5V

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on November 16, 2022, 02:08:36 AM
Gotta be said Bailey had an amazing game blocking on the run plays. Dude is an outstanding physical player. Could be the best blocking WR in the league.

Yes he did. One of my favorite Bombers!
Go Bombers!

GOLDMEMBER

GOLDMEMBER

Crazy how visually upset Rourke got. It is great to see how much he actually cares. I think it is great to show that passion. There is nothing for him to be ashamed about. The guy really cared and for that I am a fan of his.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on November 15, 2022, 11:17:14 PM
Hey the D and coverage units seem to be in top notch health and scheme. I look for elite performances in the Grey Cup game from both.

Yes, they did.  Lawrence seemed to be the weak link on one of the big gains and the TD, though.  Rest of the game he was pretty solid.  But you can tell the dude hasn't played with us as much as the other guys.  Might we mix up who dresses for the GC??  I would expect MBT to be gunning for Lawrence.

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on November 16, 2022, 02:40:55 AM
Watching this game over again certainly gives me confidence heading into another cold weather game in Regina with the sun down. Has Toronto even played a game in the cold yet this year? The OL and DL were both just playing very well.

Yes it does, doesn't it!  Nearly every player on all 3 phases was very very sharp.  Everyone reached that extra inch to make that extra play.  Exactly what you need in the post-season.  It's scary good and must be giving TOR film-studiers fits and cold sweats.

We were so good, the GC wouldn't be completely hopeless even if Zach couldn't start!  How often can you say that.  If Zach starts and can move somewhat normally, it should be game over for TOR unless TOR gets lucky horseshoes down their shorts.
Never go full Rider!