Official Game Day Thread - Sask. at Winnipeg, (Banjo Bowl) September 7, 2024

Started by ModAdmin, September 06, 2024, 04:30:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dd

Good to see the league taking this seriously and fined Brown, as it was definitely a fineable offense. He could have let up on the impact to the leg and knee but chose to attack it instead.Good, fine him them. Perfect. It was upsetting to see Brown carry on and argue that there wasn't a foul on the play, what planet is that guy on!?!

J5V

Just a fine? No suspension? For tearing up a guy's knee and ending his season? A QB no less. I find this ruling gutless! A fine means nothing. Brown continues to play and Strev's season is over. The Riders are laughing at us right now. They'll take a fine for tearing up our QB's knee every time. In fact, the league has just incentivised them to continue taking out players.
Go Bombers!

Pete

Actually true to form Rider fans are outraged that there is even a fine. Talking about doing a go fund me to pay for it  (rolling my eyes)

Big Daddy

Quote from: J5V on September 17, 2024, 12:45:24 AMJust a fine? No suspension? For tearing up a guy's knee and ending his season? A QB no less. I find this ruling gutless! A fine means nothing. Brown continues to play and Strev's season is over. The Riders are laughing at us right now. They'll take a fine for tearing up our QB's knee every time. In fact, the league has just incentivised them to continue taking out players.

Couldn't agree with you more.

I'm a bit influenced by our own players saying it may not have been dirty, and maybe Brown was a "victim" of circumstance that this one wasn't fully intentional.

The one against Collaros was absolutely dirty.  I haven't reviewed the one against Dru Brown, but taking out 3 QB's in a season is not a good look.

My point is - if they deemed the hit on Strev dirty enough to hit him with a maximum fine, then the two previous dirty plays come into play and he should be suspended. 

Getting a fine (which the team will cover, either officially or passing the hat) really does just incentivize players to injure the marquee players.

CFLPA needs to be better.  Player safety sure has to be better.

Big Daddy

Quote from: Pete on September 17, 2024, 12:57:55 AMActually true to form Rider fans are outraged that there is even a fine. Talking about doing a go fund me to pay for it  (rolling my eyes)

Okay, is there any bomber fan that will actually cheer for the riders anymore?

To me they are the leafs of the cfl.  Fan base just as entitled and obnoxious, and team just as historically terrible.

dd

The Riders notoriously have 'questionable' talent in their lineup, last year it was Marino, this year its Brown, next year it will be some other bum of the month slug. To start a go fund me for a player who rips up another guys knee is terrible. What a classless organization. I only hope they get what's coming to them, karma is a funny thing ya know....

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: dd on September 17, 2024, 01:20:54 AMThe Riders notoriously have 'questionable' talent in their lineup, last year it was Marino, this year its Brown, next year it will be some other bum of the month slug. To start a go fund me for a player who rips up another guys knee is terrible. What a classless organization. I only hope they get what's coming to them, karma is a funny thing ya know....

Supplemental fines issued this season by team.

9 Saskatchewan
6 Edmonton
5 Ottawa
5 Winnipeg
4 Hamilton
4 Montreal
2 BC
1 Calgary
0 Toronto

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on September 17, 2024, 01:25:43 AMSupplemental fines issued this season by team.

0 Toronto

Well, if you give the appropriate weight to Kelly's 9-game suspension, that basically makes TOR the top of the list, not the bottom...

P.S. Kudos to Dickenson The Greater for running a tight ship.  He may not be good at much these days, but he keeps their nose clean vis a vis fines.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

3down just put Riders as the second worst team in the league...

https://3downnation.com/2024/09/16/3downnation-cfl-power-rankings-what-is-going-on/

Yes, worse than HAM.  I don't put much stock in these rankings, but since SSK delighted in us being at/near the bottom most of the season, turnabout is fair play.
Never go full Rider!

bomb squad

Quote from: dd on September 17, 2024, 01:20:54 AMThe Riders notoriously have 'questionable' talent in their lineup, last year it was Marino, this year its Brown, next year it will be some other bum of the month slug. To start a go fund me for a player who rips up another guys knee is terrible. What a classless organization. I only hope they get what's coming to them, karma is a funny thing ya know....

Brown's not a thug like Marino. He's a good athlete, and I don't think he intentionally wants to injure quarterbacks. But he has to learn to play by the rules of today's pro football. 10 years ago maybe his style would have been acceptable, but it isn't anymore. You can't be diving in low at the quarterback when you're tackling him anymore. You can't drive any part of a quarterback into the ground with you're weight on him anymore. You can't hit him high anymore. You just can't do those things anymore. Sure, it can happen by accident sometimes to any tackler. But with him, it's happened too often to be considered accidental. That fact is there for everyone to see. He needs to be coached up. Mace has to own a some of this too. If Brown can't learn, then, like Marino, they have to release him.   

The attitudes of some of the Riderfans regarding this are disgusting. An embarrassment to the CFL really.   

TecnoGenius

Quote from: bomb squad on September 17, 2024, 05:18:42 AMThat fact is there for everyone to see. He needs to be coached up. Mace has to own a some of this too. If Brown can't learn, then, like Marino, they have to release him. 

The attitudes of some of the Riderfans regarding this are disgusting. An embarrassment to the CFL really.

I fully agree.  Marino was a thug, like an actual psychopath.  Brown's not that.

Riderfans are getting way too hung up on the "dirty" aspect.  They think that to get a flag or fine you have to be dirty.  But that's completely false.  You can be completely clean with the best intentions, but still be out of control of your body and actions.  You can also not be grasping what the league is looking for in terms of QB safety.

Brown seemed truly puzzled why he was getting a flag.  And I'm sure he's completely baffled why, for a second week in a row, he's working for half pay.

It would be very useful if everyone on both sides dropped the "dirty" accusation, because it adds nothing, is Riderfans' main straw man / deflection, and is frankly not required to win the argument and make the point.  By continuing with "dirty" we make it harder for everyone to see and understand what is really going on.

It's a lot like the new command center guidelines: there are tons of coaches, players and fans who still have no idea what the league expects.  However, there is less of an excuse for this QB injury stuff because the standard hasn't changed much in the past 2.5 seasons (vs review guidelines changing massively in one week 6 weeks ago).

Until SSK coaches, players, fans, and Brown understand exactly why Brown got this latest fine, the problem won't get solved.  If they all just deflect and excuse then dimwitted Brown will just keep doing it.

I would hope the CFL also released a memo explaining exactly what fineable about the hit.  It would help everyone focus on the real issues (the leg wrap-up, squeeze, push, and duration) and put to rest the irrelevant ones (thigh hit, not late).  And also explain how this is a result of being the "3rd strike".

And like I will always say: these memos should be public.  It's the best way to lower the temperature on the Rider forum.

P.S. According to Riderfans, all of the following are in on the big conspiracy to screw the Riders: Zach, MOS, WM, the refs, command, the fine-determiners, and Ambrosie.  Seriously, all of those actors are against the Riders trying to destroy a fully innocent Brown for unknown reasons.  I would counter: it's either that crazy huge conspiracy, or Riderfans have simply failed to properly analyze the hits and the overall situation.  I'm all for tinfoil, but Occam's Razor should apply.
Never go full Rider!

TBURGESS

The Memo talks about late hits on the QB, Brown clearly hit Strevy before the ball was released.

The initial contact was above the knees, so it wasn't contact at or below the knees.

Wrapping up is what you want tacklers to do, so that's not a penalty.

It was a penalty and a max fine based on the results & I'm fine with that. 
Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.

blue_gold_84

Quote from: TecnoGenius on September 17, 2024, 06:01:27 AMP.S. According to Riderfans, all of the following are in on the big conspiracy to screw the Riders

It's been the same feeble, tired story from those whiners for roughly a decade now.

They went from saying their team was the reason the CFL continued to exist (circa 2007-2013) to now the CFL is out to get them at every turn.

They're insufferable.
#forthew
лава Україні!
井の中の蛙大海を知らず

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on September 17, 2024, 04:56:46 PMIt's been the same feeble, tired story from those whiners for roughly a decade now.

They went from saying their team was the reason the CFL continued to exist (circa 2007-2013) to now the CFL is out to get them at every turn.

They're insufferable.

Hahahha that is so true! :D