Official Game Day Thread - Winnipeg at Saskatchewan - Sept. 1, 2024

Started by ModAdmin, August 31, 2024, 06:39:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on September 02, 2024, 03:15:18 AMTony Jones could be the replacement MLB once he learns the playbook well enough, till then we'll see a lot of Gauthier.  Hopefully Kyrie comes back soon, anyone know what his injury is and if he's close to participating in practice?

I had the same thought... but: has Jones ever played at MLB?  I'd rather have a "real" (i.e. vet natural MLB) solution, to also set us up for 2025+.

Great idea with Kyrie: him at WILL, Jones at MLB... assuming he can.  I think Wilson will be back soon (if we let him take his old spot back over Jones!).
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: TecnoGenius on September 02, 2024, 03:21:14 AMIs CKOM better?

How come CKOM is employing The Count from Sesame Street?

Haaaaa haaaa haaaaa haaaa
Never go full Rider!

Blitzer

Quote from: TecnoGenius on September 02, 2024, 03:21:14 AMThanks!!

I used to listen to CKRM.  Is CKOM better?  I'll see if I can find the CKRM one later on rerun

It's on both.

The Zipp

Quote from: Pigskin on September 02, 2024, 03:15:31 AMStrev17? Not dominating with the run anymore.

Zach: Was playing well until that cheap late hit.

Jones: 7 DTs, 2 PDs.
Holm: 10 DTs, 1 PD.

Short kick: Our hands team was terrible.

Lawler needed to be where Willie was..sometimes we get too cute in our thinking.  Willie didn't jump.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Blitzer on September 02, 2024, 03:30:17 AMI don't know if they're the same show or different.

Ya, I think there are 2 separate stations doing full Rider coverage in Regina.  At least that's how it used to be.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: The Zipp on September 02, 2024, 03:30:58 AMLawler needed to be where Willie was..sometimes we get too cute in our thinking.  Willie didn't jump.

Willie not high-pointing it is rather disappointing.  That said, I'm not sure he's ever jumped for an OSK before!  He's so tall we may be just trying to get him to bat it OOB or catch it.  Don't necessarily blame Willie, this is almost certainly a coaching decision.

The main failure was the blocking.  That DB coming in basically unblocked was a failure.

We may have to rethink the whole OSK recovery plan.  This should have had a 90% failure rate for SSK, yet they got it.  Almost cost the game... and not even OT, the actual game!
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Hey, MOS setting us up to have the wind in the 4th may have saved us the game... He's always trying to end with the wind.  Lauther may have had a shot if he hadn't been kicking against the wind.
Never go full Rider!

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: TecnoGenius on September 02, 2024, 03:24:04 AMI had the same thought... but: has Jones ever played at MLB?  I'd rather have a "real" (i.e. vet natural MLB) solution, to also set us up for 2025+.

Great idea with Kyrie: him at WILL, Jones at MLB... assuming he can.  I think Wilson will be back soon (if we let him take his old spot back over Jones!).

I believe Jones played MLB with the Elks last season, 6'2" 235 lbs. he has the size.

Jesse

Quote from: TecnoGenius on September 02, 2024, 03:19:58 AMYa, but how many running yards for him and Brady??

Well, tonight is an example of how well that will work.

I'm happy you have faith in him. But he's never shown himself to be a functional QB and he's performed worse than 2019 in every sense this season.
My wife is amazing!

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: The Zipp on September 02, 2024, 03:30:58 AMLawler needed to be where Willie was..sometimes we get too cute in our thinking.  Willie didn't jump.

I don't think Lawler is 100% otherwise yes, he's gotta be there. Willie is always healthy but Willie makes a lot of business decisions. That was one I could have done without.

bunker

Quote from: Jesse on September 02, 2024, 03:12:15 AMOr remembering that he threw for 127 yards in that win.
Streveler does not inspire much confidence as a QB. He makes me realize how much we need Zach, in spite of it not being a banner season for him. In terms of short yardage, he does not have the same O-line he had last time he was here, and I think that's the major difference. But if we need him to function as a passing QB,, we are in big trouble. I almost wonder if we would not have been better off keeping Prukop, and trying to find a legitimate number #2 (although there wasn't much out there this off-season).

The head shot on Zach was late and looked intentional. The CFL does not know how to protect their QBs. They let teams put the oppositions QB out of the game at the cost of a 15 yard penalty. Then they turn around and call roughing the passer on Haba, when Harris is past the line of scrimmage, and Haba makes contact with him before he is even down into his slide.

Having said all that, its hard to complain coming out of Regina with 2 points on Labour Day. Pretty exciting game, almost too much so. I thought we had it won several times in the last couple of minutes.

Blitzer

Quote from: TecnoGenius on September 02, 2024, 03:21:14 AMThanks!!

I used to listen to CKRM.  Is CKOM better?  I'll see if I can find the CKRM one later on rerun

One is the Sportscage and the other is the Green Zone Game Day.
They're different but there's a lot of pain being expressed on both.  :)

Blueforlife

The criticism of Strev is getting sickening by some imo.  Yes he hasn't shown enough with his passing as of late but let's not pile on.  He has shown an ability to win and can throw a decent ball.  Have to be realistic about what we have with him.  A great short yardage QB, that can run well and consistently throw a decent short route.  He is reliable and provides good ball security.  Yes we all would like him to complete more medium and long routes but he plays his role well imo.  Don't write his ability to throw off, he has shown flashes in the past.

J5V

Davis Sanchez is an idiot for implying that Buck Pierce wouldn't open up the playbook for Streveler because Streveler "isn't good enough". What does Sanchez know about QBing? Dunigan told him he was being ridiculous and not to go there but Sanchez doubled down. Dunigan tried to explain that Pierce called the game for Strev so as not to put him or the team in a position to fail. They played it perfectly and it worked. Haters gonna hate.

When asked if he pulled Zach due to concussion protocol O'Shea said no, it was just the right thing to do. He considers Zach the best QB in the league.

This is two years in a row that a Rider player intentionally tried to injure Zach by going after his head. What is the league waiting for, a death?

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/srPy4ONnoWw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mD8aNVopgME

Go Bombers!