Official Game Day Thread - Winnipeg at Saskatchewan - Sept. 1, 2024

Started by ModAdmin, August 31, 2024, 06:39:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blueforlife

If Strev is allowed to throw more down field and we have turn overs then the experts would cry about him not running the ball more or how they should have thrown more screen passes.  It was way too tight but we squeezed one out and that's all that matter.  Well played Blue!

J5V

The PI call against us with seconds left looked like the Saskatchewan receiver ran into the Winnipeg defensive back, initiated contact, fell down, then jumped up and looked to the official signalling for a flag, which he got. This looked like a set play.

My question is, did O'Shea not have a challenge flag and if he did, why wouldn't he throw it in that situation?
Go Bombers!

pdirks67

Quote from: J5V on September 02, 2024, 04:15:06 AMDavis Sanchez is an idiot for implying that Buck Pierce wouldn't open up the playbook for Streveler because Streveler "isn't good enough".

Perhaps Sanchez went a bit far. But I think that the general point could be accurate - that Streveler doesn't have the kind of skillset to effectively execute the entire playbook. And to me, that's OK for Streveler because I think of him as a great piece to execute certain packages only, including short yardage. I do not see him as a true backup, but more of a rich man's Dom Davis. We need another Dru Brown-type to come in when Zach gets hurt. I would assume that the Bombers must see Terry Wilson as a guy who can become Dru Brown sometime next season. If Wilson doesn't have that kind of potential upside, then we should be getting someone else in here.

I'm not sure about Masoli (someone mentioned him as a trade target). I can't see the Redblacks making him available. And he won that game, but looked pretty darn shaky. Granted, who wouldn't look shaky after such a long layoff. Hopefully Wilson will be ready for a "true backup" role sometime next season.

pdirks67

Quote from: J5V on September 02, 2024, 04:29:47 AMThe PI call against us with seconds left looked like the Saskatchewan receiver ran into the Winnipeg defensive back, initiated contact, fell down, then jumped up and looked to the official signalling for a flag, which he got. This looked like a set play.

My question is, did O'Shea not have a challenge flag and if he did, why wouldn't he throw it in that situation?

If it was a "set play", that is a fanastic thing to have in your back pocket. Hopefully we copy that idea.

Pigskin

Quote from: J5V on September 02, 2024, 04:29:47 AMThe PI call against us with seconds left looked like the Saskatchewan receiver ran into the Winnipeg defensive back, initiated contact, fell down, then jumped up and looked to the official signalling for a flag, which he got. This looked like a set play.

Yes, I agree. For a minute I thought I was watching soccer.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

bunker

Quote from: J5V on September 02, 2024, 04:15:06 AMDavis Sanchez is an idiot for implying that Buck Pierce wouldn't open up the playbook for Streveler because Streveler "isn't good enough". What does Sanchez know about QBing? Dunigan told him he was being ridiculous and not to go there but Sanchez doubled down. Dunigan tried to explain that Pierce called the game for Strev so as not to put him or the team in a position to fail. They played it perfectly and it worked. Haters gonna hate.

When asked if he pulled Zach due to concussion protocol O'Shea said no, it was just the right thing to do. He considers Zach the best QB in the league.

This is two years in a row that a Rider player intentionally tried to injure Zach by going after his head. What is the league waiting for, a death?

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/srPy4ONnoWw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mD8aNVopgME

Milt agreed with Sanchez, said they won't open up the playbook for Streveler because they can't open it up, that he would not have success with it. On the other hand, Matt clearly disagreed, and I think Lapo defended Streveler earlier also. One thing I think we can agree on is that we would rather not be in the situation to find out. Hopefully Zach is back.

I love Steveler, he's a team player and gives 100%. But he has not shown me he can be successful passing the ball.

Pigskin

Quote from: J5V on September 02, 2024, 04:15:06 AMDavis Sanchez is an idiot for implying that Buck Pierce wouldn't open up the playbook for Streveler because Streveler "isn't good enough". What does Sanchez know about QBing? Dunigan told him he was being ridiculous and not to go there but Sanchez doubled down. Dunigan tried to explain that Pierce called the game for Strev so as not to put him or the team in a position to fail. They played it perfectly and it worked. Haters gonna hate.

When asked if he pulled Zach due to concussion protocol O'Shea said no, it was just the right thing to do. He considers Zach the best QB in the league.

This is two years in a row that a Rider player intentionally tried to injure Zach by going after his head. What is the league waiting for, a death?

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/srPy4ONnoWw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mD8aNVopgME

Stupid. And, I can't believe both of these players were not tossed from the game. Were do the Riders find all these D bags.

Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

J5V

Quote from: pdirks67 on September 02, 2024, 04:33:15 AMIf it was a "set play", that is a fanastic thing to have in your back pocket. Hopefully we copy that idea.
We have done exactly that play in the past.
Go Bombers!

Throw Long Bannatyne

That play is a Dave Dickenson classic, the Stamps used to run it to backup critical incompletions late in tight games.  They haven't been in a situation that called for it in a couple of years now so it seems new, but Mace was part of Dickenson's coaching staff when it was used previously.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Jesse on September 02, 2024, 03:41:12 AMI'm happy you have faith in him. But he's never shown himself to be a functional QB and he's performed worse than 2019 in every sense this season.

Then the NFL must be functionally brain dead??  NFL lets Rourke walk after 1.5 years, but they kept Strev for nearly 5?

Make it make sense.

I still have faith in Strev.  Let's wait and see.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on September 02, 2024, 03:41:34 AMI don't think Lawler is 100% otherwise yes, he's gotta be there. Willie is always healthy but Willie makes a lot of business decisions. That was one I could have done without.

Nah, our OSK recovery unit has been tall Willie for a fair while now.  It's a smart play because he's so tall plus add in his wingspan.  However, as we saw tonight, if he gets jostled out of position, it's all for naught.

Our big mistake tonight was literally having everyone else block.  Willie can't be the only guy there.  We need another 1-2 players for rebound duty (and I don't mean the blockers coming back).  If we had another guy near Willie, he could have gotten it on the turf first.

If OSK is around 10%, and we just lost one, then I would expect we go 100% on the rest of the season... no way a team sees 10 OSKs a season!
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on September 02, 2024, 05:33:22 AMThat play is a Dave Dickenson classic, the Stamps used to run it to backup a critical incompletion late in tight games.  They haven't been in a situation that called for it in a couple of years now so it seems new, but Mace was part of Dickenson's coaching staff when it was used previously.

I wish I could upvote you +100.  This is the best post ever on the subject.  I call it a "mugging" (surely I got that from TSN?).  Begelton and a host of other CGY receivers have done it many times.  Rogers used to do it.  Rhymes is also known for it too.

Yes, late in games they'll arrange a mugging maybe with a layered route tree so throwing anywhere near there gets DPI.  If not, they often get an IC.

The R will basically wait for the DB to pick a side then pick the same side for a collision.  It's really aggravating and one of my most-hated football plays.

I really wish the league would find a solution for it.  Maybe guidelines on what the DB can do to ensure they don't get a mugging-DPI... then command auto-reviews potential muggings in the 4th.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: J5V on September 02, 2024, 05:00:02 AMWe have done exactly that play in the past.

I don't think we do.  The Pokey one last week -- for which other forums accused us of mugging -- was not IMHO.  See my breakdown it in other threads.

I can't think of many other mugging calls that have gone our way.  I really don't think we explicitly coach it like some teams clearly do.  It really wouldn't be the MOS Way, would it.  We certainly aren't notorious for it like CGY is.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: J5V on September 02, 2024, 04:29:47 AMMy question is, did O'Shea not have a challenge flag and if he did, why wouldn't he throw it in that situation?

Yes flag.  No timeouts.  We used our last timeout maybe with 45-60s on the clock?

In any event, a game-changing DPI, especially a mugging one, is almost certainly auto-quick-reviewed in the last 3 mins.  Command is fine with muggings, always has been.

And they are upholding 90% of called DPIs now, so no way we win that even with a challenge.  Was it on Bonds?  He'll simply have to learn to dodge the muggings...
Never go full Rider!