Official Game Day Thread - Winnipeg at Saskatchewan - Sept. 1, 2024

Started by ModAdmin, August 31, 2024, 06:39:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Blueforlife on September 02, 2024, 04:18:56 AMIf Strev is allowed to throw more down field and we have turn overs then the experts would cry about him not running the ball more or how they should have thrown more screen passes.  It was way too tight but we squeezed one out and that's all that matter.  Well played Blue!

I actually think Strev's strong point is his mid pass, 15-25Y downfield.  Think of his GC passing TD.  Think of the dart to Woli tonight.

He seems to struggle on the laterals, outs and hitches.  Many backup QBs have the same problem.  There is something about the side-to-side angle that screws them up.  Even vets will underthrow or overthrow the hitch and out sometimes.  See Zach miss wide-open Demski on the hitch screen tonight?!!

So maybe the smart Strev play isn't to give him a small short/side pass book, but give him the nice natural downfield angles (centers, crossers, slants, flats, posts).
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: bunker on September 02, 2024, 03:55:25 AMI almost wonder if we would not have been better off keeping Prukop, and trying to find a legitimate number #2 (although there wasn't much out there this off-season).

I think SMS money dictated Strev as the only option.  Prukop really can't be a legit starter in case of injury.  So he's SY only.  Strev has shown he'll win .500 for us: proven!!  And he can do SY.

So it's simple math:

Zach + .500 Strev + ELC = $800k + .500 if Zach injured

Zach + .100 Prukop + journeyman #2 = $900k + ? if Zach injured

We simply didn't have that last $100k, otherwise we possibly could have made a play on a Arbuckle-level QB.  And no guarantee Arbuckle gets you over the .500 of Strev or even the .100 of Prukop!
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Never go full Rider!

J5V

Go Bombers!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: J5V on September 02, 2024, 06:13:23 AMWe used to do it with Greg Carr, for sure. Maybe others.

Ah, that's going back!  Wouldn't that be before MOS?  Ok, so I'll revise it: I don't think we've coached the mugging play in the last decade.

I'm making a new thread for it... I've figured some stuff out on replay.
Never go full Rider!

Big Daddy

Quote from: bludan on September 02, 2024, 02:49:27 AMWe pull Zach because we don't trust the dirty Riders to not pull that crap again....

And they did - toward the end of the third on Strev, running and he gets pasted by Milligan.  Watch it, even in real time it's obvious he's hitting and throwing his helmet to hit Strev in the helmet, and he succeeded.

Dirty indeed.

Bomber Diehard

The Bomber got to be busy this winter.
Old age has caught up to them in major locations.

markf

Quote from: Big Daddy on September 02, 2024, 12:43:55 PMAnd they did - toward the end of the third on Strev, running and he gets pasted by Milligan.  Watch it, even in real time it's obvious he's hitting and throwing his helmet to hit Strev in the helmet, and he succeeded.

Dirty indeed.
[/

Why not? There's no actual cost to the riders for doing it.

Reminds me of the NHL transitioning away from broad street bully b.s. ..

Might be too many old school thinkers involved in the league's affairs, the old farts thinking "it's a contact sport".

There has been a lot of whining, CFL and NFL about this by the "that's just  part of football, might as well,play flag football" types.  The people who don't care if a guy gets brain damage from intentional, senseless violence.

1chad

Wow, the end of the game had my blood pressure through the roof!  As I am sure it has been pointed out, the Rider with the high hit on Zach did the same thing in the previous game.  When will the league start taking this seriously?  I think Maier(?) in Calgary is the only starting QB who has not been injured in a game this year.

bunker

Quote from: 1chad on September 02, 2024, 01:08:01 PMWow, the end of the game had my blood pressure through the roof!  As I am sure it has been pointed out, the Rider with the high hit on Zach did the same thing in the previous game.  When will the league start taking this seriously?  I think Maier(?) in Calgary is the only starting QB who has not been injured in a game this year.

Wade Miller agrees with you. Quote from the Free Press:

"At some point, maybe our commissioner will decide that we should protect quarterbacks after the play," Miller told the Free Press. "This is ridiculous and needs to stop. We've seen this two years in a row now."

bunker

Quote from: TecnoGenius on September 02, 2024, 06:11:04 AMI think SMS money dictated Strev as the only option.  Prukop really can't be a legit starter in case of injury.  So he's SY only.  Strev has shown he'll win .500 for us: proven!!  And he can do SY.

So it's simple math:

Zach + .500 Strev + ELC = $800k + .500 if Zach injured

Zach + .100 Prukop + journeyman #2 = $900k + ? if Zach injured

We simply didn't have that last $100k, otherwise we possibly could have made a play on a Arbuckle-level QB.  And no guarantee Arbuckle gets you over the .500 of Strev or even the .100 of Prukop!

On reflection I'm not sure there was a better option than Streveler as a #2. I think he's better than Dolengala or Fine, and not necessarily worse than Arbuckle. Can't think of any other options that were affordable off the top of my head. We weren't going to sign an MTB at that salary. I don't know if there was really anyone out there this off-season that moved the needle for what we had to spend.

But we're .500 with mostly Zach at QB. It might be a bit optomistic to assume Strev gets us to .500. It's possible I'm being too negative on Strev because of recency bias and how he looked in that second half...part of which may have been by design in terms of Buck wanting to play it safe. But you look at what a guy like Davis Alexander did in a back-up role, and it leaves you wanting more.

Jesse

Quote from: TecnoGenius on September 02, 2024, 05:41:43 AMThen the NFL must be functionally brain dead??  NFL lets Rourke walk after 1.5 years, but they kept Strev for nearly 5?

Make it make sense.

I still have faith in Strev.  Let's wait and see.

I really don't care what happened in the NFL.

I care about what happens on the CFL field and Strev is what he is. We're not using him in the way that was successful in 2019, and he is unproductive in every other way for us this season.

I'm truly disappointed. I had a lot of hope in the off season for him.
My wife is amazing!

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: Jesse on September 02, 2024, 02:00:41 PMI really don't care what happened in the NFL.

I care about what happens on the CFL field and Strev is what he is. We're not using him in the way that was successful in 2019, and he is unproductive in every other way for us this season.

It appears to be a different mentality for sure. Back in 2019, I think the coaches saw the flaws but were trying to develop him into a more traditional passer. Now it seems like they're sure he doesn't have what he doesn't have and are just calling to his strengths.

The other side of the coin though, is that if Buck called the same game for Streveler as he does with Zach he'd be under major fire.

For my taste, I would like to see the dial turned just a little bit back towards passing QB play.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Jesse on September 02, 2024, 02:00:41 PMI really don't care what happened in the NFL.

Agree, gone are the runs around the edge were Strev. would break off 15-25 yds. either teams are countering those plays effectively or his running abilities have diminished. There is no pretense of him dropping back and making a decision on a play, every play is scripted to run regardless of what the defence is showing and I guess we have to blame Buck for that.