BLUE BOMBERS ADD DEFENSIVE BACK AARON GRYMES TO PRACTICE ROSTER - NOW RELEASED

Started by Blueforlife, July 23, 2024, 02:51:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Waffler

He was VERY good. Not sure now though. He's 33 and missed the last 2 years.
Buried in the essentially random digits of pi, you can find your eight-digit birthdate. (Is that a wink from God or just a lot of digits?) - David G. Myers

GOLDMEMBER

A potential very worthy addition. Hopefully he still has his ball hawking skills.
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

Blueforlife

Quote from: Waffler on July 23, 2024, 02:53:22 PMHe was VERY good. Not sure now though. He's 33 and missed the last 2 years.
Yeah that's what I thought.  Maybe the knee is better and he is still in shape.  Will find out at practice. At the very least teach the young guys a few tricks.

Because he is a vet, what type of salary would he get(AR) ?

Sir Blue and Gold

Slingin Sammy

Maybe they see him as a replacement for BA; assuming they continue to have an import at that spot.  Or as the extra DB in place of Griffin who has been manning that spot, or backup SAM?  When healthy, he played as a halfback primarily; he was fast and was known as a ball hawk with good ball instincts.  Both Holm and Nichols got torched by the slot position occupied by K Schaffer Baker and his replacement Ajou against Sask; but I don't think they're looking to have Grymes start in any one of those positions...
Everyone is a genius at least once a year. The real geniuses simply have their bright ideas closer together.

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: Slingin Sammy on July 23, 2024, 03:24:14 PMMaybe they see him as a replacement for BA; assuming they continue to have an import at that spot.  Or as the extra DB in place of Griffin who has been manning that spot, or backup SAM?  When healthy, he played as a halfback primarily; he was fast and was known as a ball hawk with good ball instincts.  Both Holm and Nichols got torched by the slot position occupied by K Schaffer Baker and his replacement Ajou against Sask; but I don't think they're looking to have Grymes start in any one of those positions...

Agree on all fronts there. The other less likely scenario (as it doesn't happen often in the CFL) is that with him on the roster it might be possible to trade a piece of the secondary if we continue to lose. Not sure what that would accomplish but it's just such a weird add to me (unless someone is hurt and I suppose we'll find out this week). Grymes couldn't really stay healthy in his prime so does 2 years out of the game at age 33 help? Your Alexander theory is interesting I just have a hard time believing we'd replace one old guy for another.

Blue In BC

I can't imagine he'd sign to sit as a PR player for an extended time.  Assuming he's totally healthy now he could be a good addition.

As some have suggested he might replace Griffin on the AR. That in turn might mean than McGhee gets bumped all together? PR size is now technically 1 player over.

It didn't appear we had an injury in the secondary this week, so this is a bit of a strange move.

I had wondered whether we might be considering a trade of one of the back up Canadian DB's. Hallett, Hallett and Kelly don't seem to be either short or long term thoughts at safety. Noting that the Elks lost Hutter for the season and could use a backup at the very least.  Trade value would be low possibly 3rd or 4th rounder draft choice?
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Blueforlife

Thanks for the chatter, we shall see how this move impacts our pr and ar

theaardvark

FCould this be an attempt to assuage all the fans on this board complaining that we don't sign mid-season FA's?

The fact he is on the PR means he obviously tried to land an AR spot everywhere, and this was the best offer he got. 

I have always admired Grymes playing style, he's an MOS type of guy for sure.  If he is a good fraction of his previous self, he will be a welcome addition.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Blue In BC

Quote from: theaardvark on July 23, 2024, 04:31:09 PMFCould this be an attempt to assuage all the fans on this board complaining that we don't sign mid-season FA's?

The fact he is on the PR means he obviously tried to land an AR spot everywhere, and this was the best offer he got. 

I have always admired Grymes playing style, he's an MOS type of guy for sure.  If he is a good fraction of his previous self, he will be a welcome addition.

It's not another conspiracy theory. Any player being signed will have to learn the playbook so he's not going to be immediately added to the AR unless dire emergency due to injury.

He's not going to be in game shape and didn't even attend any TC this year. So it will be a couple of weeks before they might even consider him being added to the AR.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

TBURGESS

Grymes used to be great. Lets see if he still has anything left. 
Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.

blue_gold_84

Interesting addition. Not sure what to make of it at the moment, though.
#forthew
лава Україні!
井の中の蛙大海を知らず

RebusRankin

A 33 year old with a long injury history whose been out of football for since 2021. Terrible signing.

blue_gold_84

Quote from: RebusRankin on July 23, 2024, 05:45:28 PMA 33 year old with a long injury history whose been out of football for since 2021. Terrible signing.

It's just a PR move. Probably best to pump the brakes for now.
#forthew
лава Україні!
井の中の蛙大海を知らず