BLUE BOMBERS ADD DEFENSIVE BACK AARON GRYMES TO PRACTICE ROSTER - NOW RELEASED

Started by Blueforlife, July 23, 2024, 02:51:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue In BC

Quote from: Pete on July 23, 2024, 08:51:50 PMAlexander is on the injury report today, is that a consideration?

I doubt it. If he can't play we have an extra DB already on the AR and two on the PR. They will know the play book and the secondary would be shuffled around.

Even if Alexander has a serious injury, we have some other options including 3 Canadians. N. Hallett has started some games in the past.

Maybe we're trying to break some record on how many Canadians we can start. :(
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Slingin Sammy

Quote from: Blue In BC on July 23, 2024, 09:00:53 PMI doubt it. If he can't play we have an extra DB already on the AR and two on the PR. They will know the play book and the secondary would be shuffled around.

Even if Alexander has a serious injury, we have some other options including 3 Canadians. N. Hallett has started some games in the past.

Maybe we're trying to break some record on how many Canadians we can start. :(

Posted the following in the Bombers v Argo thread:

I was at practise today (July 23rd).  Here are some observations

6 game injured list players: None of them including Lawler practised.  Fox and Haba were running.  Lawson is nowhere near a return.  He was gingerly trying to make his way up the stands backwards with other injured players.

1 game injured list players: Kelly and Samson practised.

New injuries: Wilson and Cole.  Oliveira didn't practise but likely maintenance.  BA didn't practise (not sure if he's maintenance or some other issue).

KR/PR: Case got the 1st reps, followed by Smith and then Whitehead.  Case likely remains KR/PR and backup receiver.

Offence and receivers: No changes other than Augustine and Smith getting reps with 1s in BOs absence.  Whitehead did not get any first team reps.  Highly unlikely he draws into the lineup.

Defence: Some interesting changes in BAs absence.  Nichols slid over to safety; Bridges at boundary half.  Jones in at WIL for Wilson. Griffin in for Cole. D Line rotation remained the same as last week with Garbutt and Jefferson on the ends.

Grymes slotted in with the 2s at boundary halfback.  He was picking BAs brain throughout the practice.

Not sure if the alignment with Nichols at safety is something they're going to try, but it would explain picking up Grymes.  It's also curious that they wouldn't have slotted in one of the Hallets if this was just filling in for BA while he takes a maintenance day.

Zach was up and down.  Threw some nice balls but also some bad picks to Kelly and Bonds.  Seemed hesitant at times when going up against scout D.

I can't make it out to any other practices this week so it will be interesting to see if the changes on D at the start of the week translate into game day/roster changes
Everyone is a genius at least once a year. The real geniuses simply have their bright ideas closer together.

dd

Once upon a time, Grymes used to be a very good DB, hope he still has some gas left in his tank and our secondary will just get stronger.

Pete

With Whitehead does it feel like Walters signed him with resistance from OShea so now OShea will let him wither on PR?
 Basing this on O'Sheas comments every time hes asked about Lucky. Saying that it takes time to learn the offence. To me this is baloney. Lucky is a cfl vet. You see lots of teams incorporating new receivers successfully.
By game day he will have been here 3 weeks.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on July 23, 2024, 03:06:44 PMDo we have an injury? Seems like a peculiar add to me.

a) Could be a message Parker is 100% done for the entire season.

b) I like the theory he could be a BA replacement.  Or maybe Bonds isn't doing as well as we thought?

My thoughts on Grymes:

1) He's the dude with the poofy hair in a pony tail right?  Superb player when we last saw him: fast and can lay wood.

2) I never noticed he left, I don't follow other teams' IRs and let-gos.

3) 33yo is a problem as DBs are often the first player type to "lose it" when they get anywhere close to 30.  We've seen them age out fast so many times in WFC.

4) But our real need is on the DL!  We always do these weird signings that don't seem to address what most see as the real problem.  Maybe you take what you can get??
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: theaardvark on July 23, 2024, 04:31:09 PMFCould this be an attempt to assuage all the fans on this board complaining that we don't sign mid-season FA's?

Haha!  I doubt it, but it's a fun thought!  I'd be curious to know who in WFC was making the push to get him?
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Blue In BC on July 23, 2024, 09:00:53 PMMaybe we're trying to break some record on how many Canadians we can start. :(

MOS: I won't be happy until I start 24 NATs!  Bwaaahaaahaaahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

If we managed to do that, we should just be awarded the GC for sheer temerity.
Never go full Rider!

Blue In BC

Quote from: TecnoGenius on July 24, 2024, 04:43:09 AMa) Could be a message Parker is 100% done for the entire season.

b) I like the theory he could be a BA replacement.  Or maybe Bonds isn't doing as well as we thought?

My thoughts on Grymes:

1) He's the dude with the poofy hair in a pony tail right?  Superb player when we last saw him: fast and can lay wood.

2) I never noticed he left, I don't follow other teams' IRs and let-gos.

3) 33yo is a problem as DBs are often the first player type to "lose it" when they get anywhere close to 30.  We've seen them age out fast so many times in WFC.

4) But our real need is on the DL!  We always do these weird signings that don't seem to address what most see as the real problem.  Maybe you take what you can get??

Grymes hasn't played since 2021. That's a long time. At best it will take time to gain conditioning and improve reaction time.

He had a high football IQ and a nose for the ball.

The signing is curious but worth the look I suppose.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

TBURGESS

MOS seems to think that our problem is not enough old vets way past their prime.
Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.

markf

Quote from: TBURGESS on July 24, 2024, 02:59:32 PMMOS seems to think that our problem is not enough old vets way past their prime.

Maybe he's a George Allen fan?

Blueforlife

BMO Field

TORONTO ARGONAUTS   Practice Day   
Player Name   Position   Injury   TUE   WED   THU   Game Status
Tunde Adeleke   DB   Knee   Full   Full      
Rasheed Bailey   WR   Head   DNP   Limited      
Tyshon Blackburn   DB   Knee   Full   Full      
Jared Brinkman   DL   Ankle   DNP   DNP      
Jake Ceresna   DL   Shoulder   Limited   Limited      
Jonathan Edouard   DB   Elbow   DNP   DNP      
Kerfalla Exumé   DB   Foot   Limited   Limited      
Dylan Giffen   OL   Groin   Full   Full      
Jamie Harry   DB   Hip   DNP   DNP      
Daniel Kwamou   LB   Knee   DNP   DNP      
Kevin Mital   WR   Foot   Full   Full      
Folarin Orimolade   DL   Ankle   Full   Full      
Robert Priester   DB   Shoulder   Limited   Limited      
David Ungerer III   WR   Hamstring   Full   Full      

WINNIPEG BLUE BOMBERS   Practice Day   
Player Name   Position   Injury   TUE   WED   THU   Game Status
Kyle Samson   DL   Healthy Scratch   Full   Full      
Brian Cole   LB   Foot   DNP   DNP      
Kyrie Wilson   LB   Shoulder   DNP   DNP      
Jake Kelly   DB   Elbow   Full   Full      
Brandon Alexander   DB   Neck   DNP   Full      
Bailey Feltmate   FB   Elbow   DNP   DNP      
Brady Oliveira   RB   Shoulder   DNP   Ful

DM83

What's a Bailey Feltmate?
Who is This Kelly guy?

The Bombers have to have a ton of money available to sign guys

Where is McManus?
If Collaros can't throw for more than a hundred yards, let's start the re building.

Blueforlife

Quote from: DM83 on July 24, 2024, 08:53:38 PMWhat's a Bailey Feltmate?
Who is This Kelly guy?

Where is McManus?
If Collaros can't throw for more than a hundred yards, let's start the re building.
Feltmate our FB on 6 game I think
Kelly is a depth player I don't know much about him, others do on here
We don't have a ton of money
Overstated on negative about Zach

Waffler

I had my doubts about Grymes too but watching him in practice today I have to say he looked great. Wearing a giant knee brace but didn't seem to hinder his speed or reaction time at all. Ironically Alexander wears a smaller brace now, just the elastic kind I believe, and he was walking pretty tender on that side at times. How is he supposed to run?

Kind of sad when our 2 insurance players (Lucky the other) are better than what we are starting.
Buried in the essentially random digits of pi, you can find your eight-digit birthdate. (Is that a wink from God or just a lot of digits?) - David G. Myers

theaardvark

Quote from: DM83 on July 24, 2024, 08:53:38 PMWhat's a Bailey Feltmate?
Who is This Kelly guy?

Where is McManus?

You realize that Lawler, Schoen and Oliveira are some of the highest paid players in the league, right?  And Zach is the highest paid.  And we have Willie and Biggie too?

We do not have money... except what little savings we might be getting from the 6 game.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.