Week 7 - Other Games: EDM@OTT TOR@HAM BC@CGY

Started by TecnoGenius, July 19, 2024, 11:25:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Blue In BC on July 21, 2024, 02:16:25 AMIDK. Not really impressed with Dukes but he's slippery in the back field and a solid runner. We're not good against those kinds of QB's. If he gets too much time to throw, he can beat us.

The next question is the 3 injuries Argos had and whether any of the 3 will be able to play next week.

Yup, we're up @TOR next week.  TOR took some bad injuries which will hurt them, and they're already weakened.  That gives us some parity with our depleted roster.

Who would have guessed this would be the game of the week?!  What an exciting fun game with huge nerves & sweat down to the wire.  I thought for sure TOR would get it done at the end there.  But I'm super happy my "make-up ground hail mary" HAM pick'em worked out.  I knew HAM was getting due for one, especially at home for the suffering fans.

BLM actually had a good game fantasy-wise, especially seeing as how he's so cheap.  Too bad I picked Dru this week, doh.

Dukes is like all the other mobile QBs.  Meh.  He's has a W/L ratio that flatters his real ability.  Arbuckle (oddly) looked like the bigger threat today, and now we have to plan around both QBs!!  Dinwiddie was super fast (IMHO) to yank Dukes, so he'll do it next week too if we start winning big.  Dukes might be good in a few seasons, but for now he's just another Ford or Crum.
Never go full Rider!

J5V

Huge win for Hammy. good for them. Argos suck. We should beat them next game unless the refs beat us first.
Go Bombers!

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: TecnoGenius on July 21, 2024, 08:33:02 AMThat take is crazier than MBT is!

MBT has a good arm and fast release, but he's wildly inconsistent.  If he had any consistency he'd be a great QB.  But he's not, so he's just "good".

Yes, MBT is not EDM's main problem.  Yes, Ford would probably do worse.

I think MBT would do ok here (he'd FIFO for sure), but not better than Zach.  Our problems are similar to EDM: OL weaker, WRs not doing so well.  Zach would do much better if we had Desjar, Couture & Yoshi still, and all our desired starting WRs off the IR.

And on the flipside, Zach would suck super hard rocks in EDM, as their OL situation is even worse than ours, and they have no decent RB to relieve the pressure.

Kevin Brown ain't no slouch, although he hasn't looked as good as he did last year when he rushed for over 1,000 yds.

Blueforlife

Can someone remind me who went down for TO?

Blue In BC

Quote from: Blueforlife on July 21, 2024, 03:17:47 PMCan someone remind me who went down for TO?

Brinkman their DL looked the worst. Probable leg, knee or ankle. Not sure which but he could be done for an extended time. Needed to be carried off the field by 2 big guys.

The others were Priester their current SAM after their starter Mauger was injured earlier this year. He may have had his bell rung and might have to sit out a game for concussion protocol. Or he might be available.

The other was a starting CB Eduourd and his back up Pierce were both nicked to some degree. Not sure how seriously.

So Brinkman was the most significant.  He recorded 8 DT's and 2 sacks this year.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Blueforlife

I remember all those just couldn't recall the names.  Thanks bud.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on July 21, 2024, 03:10:19 PMKevin Brown ain't no slouch, although he hasn't looked as good as he did last year when he rushed for over 1,000 yds.

They aren't using him as well in their play calling.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

theaardvark

So, Grant was ok most of the night, was WHOOPEE! one play, and put the ball on the ground the next time, and they were very, very lucky to get it back, with only a 9 yard loss.  Oh, and got hair tackled (OUCH).

This was the dig on Grant.  He can break a play and then break your heart.

Would I like him back here?  Sure.  Do I miss him?  Equal parts yes and no.  And we will see if he finishes the season on the field.  Surprised the spotter didn't take him out after the hair tackle, that was a vicious head snap.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Blue In BC

Quote from: theaardvark on July 21, 2024, 05:20:24 PMSo, Grant was ok most of the night, was WHOOPEE! one play, and put the ball on the ground the next time, and they were very, very lucky to get it back, with only a 9 yard loss.  Oh, and got hair tackled (OUCH).

This was the dig on Grant.  He can break a play and then break your heart.

Would I like him back here?  Sure.  Do I miss him?  Equal parts yes and no.  And we will see if he finishes the season on the field.  Surprised the spotter didn't take him out after the hair tackle, that was a vicious head snap.

Why was it a penalty? By definition it's not part of the uniform and IIRC he had that happen last week as well with no penalty.

I was wondering whether he had extensions as part of his dreads?
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Blue In BC on July 21, 2024, 05:49:38 PMWhy was it a penalty? By definition it's not part of the uniform and IIRC he had that happen last week as well with no penalty.

I was wondering whether he had extensions as part of his dreads?

They seriously have to consider eliminating this method of tackle somehow, either make it illegal or restrain the hair growth to what can be contained within the helmet.  To much danger to the players neck when taken down by the hair, worse effect than a horse collar.

Must have been extensions, I would think there would be serious bleeding if that amount of hair was yanked out of one's head.  Grant didn't even remove his helmet so it didn't look like he was in any pain or need of medical assistance.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on July 21, 2024, 05:58:17 PMThey seriously have to consider eliminating this method of tackle somehow, either make it illegal or restrain the hair growth to what can be contained within the helmet.  To much danger to the players neck when taken down by the hair, worse effect than a horse collar.

Must have been extensions, I would think there would be serious bleeding if that amount of hair was yanked out of one's head.  Grant didn't even remove his helmet so it didn't look like he was in any pain or need of medical assistance.

Same issue in the NFL where it's also legal. I agree it's a safety issue but to some degree it limits where a defender can grab an opponent. I also don't understand why some players like 3 foot long dreads in the 1st place.

That said, how much of this can be compressed inside the helmet?

I find it annoying that it obscures the ability to read the players nameplate.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Blue In BC on July 21, 2024, 08:16:44 PMSame issue in the NFL where it's also legal. I agree it's a safety issue but to some degree it limits where a defender can grab an opponent. I also don't understand why some players like 3 foot long dreads in the 1st place.

That said, how much of this can be compressed inside the helmet?

I find it annoying that it obscures the ability to read the players nameplate.

Lot's of issues, they have to do something one way or the other.

GOLDMEMBER

Great game tonight.

Hopefully Calgary loses! GO lions Go.
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

dd

The game is always evolving and it's clear this rule needs to be changed for a number of reasons. They could solve the problem by saying your hair cannot be longer that just above your numbers, that way there's no hair hanging below the numbers (which if you grab the sweater below the numbers to make a tackle it's legal) and any grabbing of the hair as a primary source of making a tackle and causing a change of direction is illegal. This would be consistent with the horse collar rule, which pulling the hair to make a tackle is more dangerous than the horse collar tackle as there is more whiplash on the head and neck area and more impact on the head as seen in yesterday's game

Blue In BC

Quote from: dd on July 21, 2024, 10:07:13 PMThe game is always evolving and it's clear this rule needs to be changed for a number of reasons. They could solve the problem by saying your hair cannot be longer that just above your numbers, that way there's no hair hanging below the numbers (which if you grab the sweater below the numbers to make a tackle it's legal) and any grabbing of the hair as a primary source of making a tackle and causing a change of direction is illegal. This would be consistent with the horse collar rule, which pulling the hair to make a tackle is more dangerous than the horse collar tackle as there is more whiplash on the head and neck area and more impact on the head as seen in yesterday's game

That makes sense but tell it to the players that have that fashion attitude.
2019 Grey Cup Champions