Official Game Day Thread - Winnipeg at Saskatchewan - July 19, 2024

Started by ModAdmin, July 17, 2024, 08:32:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ichabod_crane

Quote from: dd on July 20, 2024, 04:36:59 AMWhat a ridiculous comment . Patterson was just trying to run the clock out to zero, no way bombers could win, back nine big hill did not have to do what he did. Just plain classless. He's a shadow of his former self. we need our MLB making big plays but not like that. This is shades of reinbolt days vs bc. Was waiting for mace to come out and push O'Shea!!

I thought the OLD SAYING GOES "YOU PLAY TO THE WHISTLE AND LAST SECOND"! I Call B.S.! If Patterson wants to be a cry baby, then that is why he is playing for the CRYDERS!! ;) Was not a blatant dirty hit ala Simoni Lawrence. Bighill more fell on top of him that hit him hard. This is not flag football either! People get HIT once in a while HARD! So quite your whining Patterson and get a life. ZERO sympathy for him. Kind of like Fajardo throwing his team under the bus when they flopped out. Until he turned around his career in Montreal, that is what I remember most about him. BE A LEADER and NOT A WHINER! ;) :D 

ichabod_crane

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on July 20, 2024, 05:02:17 AMProulx makes them all. He has 12 eyes and stands in 11 different places at once.

LOVE THE SARCASM!! :D ;) 

ichabod_crane

Quote from: dd on July 20, 2024, 04:15:15 AMTotal cheapshot by bighill. I thought he was classier than that.

What comes around goes around. Expect s cheap shot on Collaros in upcoming rider games, bank on it.

Nothing even CLOSE To a Simoni Lawrence cheap shot....

ichabod_crane

Lincoln Locomotive

This....the Riders out hit and out played us most of the game and look like a team trending upwards whereas we are a team trending in the opposite direction.  Brady O got whacked a number of times by a ferocious Sask D.   We are a team laden with vets who are starting to show their age and we need fresh legs.   We will be lucky JUST to make the playoffs...,,we play TO next and I don't see us winning that one either and then BC back to back.   Zach is not the QB he once was.....indecisive, under throwing receivers and forcing the ball into tight coverage when in scoring position on first down!!   
We are now 2-5 and MOS said we'll look at film and learn from our mistakes and be fine?   We could easily be 2-8 after the next 3 games and the Bombers are not showing signs of "learning from their mistakes".   This team is in trouble whether we want to admit it or not....and we can blame the refs all we want....but good teams beat their opponents, the refs and the opposing fans and we're simply not capable of doing this any longer.    We were beaten by a much better Rider team today plain and simple and it hurts to admit that....I think it's going to be a long season in Bomber-land.   
Be that as it may I was a still a Bomber fan after a 29 year GC drought finally ended in 2019 and then enjoyed the last four seasons of mostly winning.   This season though, something is definitely off and the team lacks the passion and intensity we've enjoyed watching over the last 4 years.  However, despite our recent losing ways I will still be a Bomber fan until the day I die.....Bombers forever!!
Bomber fan for life

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: Lincoln Locomotive on July 20, 2024, 11:16:28 AMThis....the Riders out hit and out played us most of the game and look like a team trending upwards whereas we are a team trending in the opposite direction.  Brady O got whacked a number of times by a ferocious Sask D.   We are a team laden with vets who are starting to show their age and we need fresh legs.   We will be lucky JUST to make the playoffs...,,we play TO next and I don't see us winning that one either and then BC back to back.   Zach is not the QB he once was.....indecisive, under throwing receivers and forcing the ball into tight coverage when in scoring position on first down!!   
We are now 2-5 and MOS said we'll look at film and learn from our mistakes and be fine?   We could easily be 2-8 after the next 3 games and the Bombers are not showing signs of "learning from their mistakes".   This team is in trouble whether we want to admit it or not....and we can blame the refs all we want....but good teams beat their opponents, the refs and the opposing fans and we're simply not capable of doing this any longer.    We were beaten by a much better Rider team today plain and simple and it hurts to admit that....I think it's going to be a long season in Bomber-land.   
Be that as it may I was a still a Bomber fan after a 29 year GC drought finally ended in 2019 and then enjoyed the last four seasons of mostly winning.   This season though, something is definitely off and the team lacks the passion and intensity we've enjoyed watching over the last 4 years.  However, despite our recent losing ways I will still be a Bomber fan until the day I die.....Bombers forever!!

My thought exactly. Thanks Linc.
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

Blue In BC

Quote from: TecnoGenius on July 20, 2024, 06:42:30 AMUh, did you see how good our run D was?  Except garbage time we held Oullette to pretty much just 1 big run.  Most of his runs were for 1-3Y.  In fact, our run D is part of the reason we were still in this game until the refs broke it open.

Once again, I'm not faulting Fatboi and the DL.  They even got some sacks, pressures, and tackles for losses tonight!

Did you see how much time Patterson had to throw?  He completed 68% of his passes. His receivers dropped a couple or it would have been even higher. Patterson broke contain a few times and it cost us.

Note that this was only the 3rd start for Patterson and you have to take that into account when assessing the Bomber defence. Nichols had a particularly bad game.

I'm not going to re-watch this game, but you should. How often did we stop a 2nd and long? Focus specifically on Thomas.

I can't say I'd blame the loss on the defence but they didn't force any turnovers either. Our offence was horrible. Our return game was not great.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Waffler

Quote from: J5V on July 20, 2024, 04:04:59 AMWe've never seen Patterson play before. We'll be much better prepared for him next time.
We saw him in the pre-season and we have game film on him.
Buried in the essentially random digits of pi, you can find your eight-digit birthdate. (Is that a wink from God or just a lot of digits?) - David G. Myers

TBURGESS

The horrible reffing went both ways. We got a bad PI to keep a drive alive & the Ref got in the way of Alford on the missed 61 yarder stopping him from catching it on the fly. We had 2 horrible PI's against us.

Biggie's hit, on the last play of the game, with no time on the clock, and no chance for a win was clearly a cheap shot. He'll be lighter in the wallet this week. They didn't throw the flag because the game was over. You don't try to take out the other teams QB after the game is over. In my day, that would have started a brawl. 

Demski's fumble was the last straw. We might have got a TD on that drive, but SKN still had enough time to get a FG or OT to win the game. 

Wilson made an amazing catch & a huge block that freed Demski on his fumble play.

Collaros has lost it, but he still thinks he has it. That's causing him to try and make plays that he no long can. 

Us loosing Lawler & Schoen is like BC losing Hatcher & Cottoy. They're 5-1, we're 2-5. We need to look elsewhere to find out why we are sucking this year. IMO: On D it's Biggie & Alexander. On O it's Collaros & the OL. 
Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.

Pigskin

Quote from: Blue In BC on July 20, 2024, 01:08:51 PMDid you see how much time Patterson had to throw?  He completed 68% of his passes. His receivers dropped a couple or it would have been even higher. Patterson broke contain a few times and it cost us.

Note that this was only the 3rd start for Patterson and you have to take that into account when assessing the Bomber defence. Nichols had a particularly bad game.

I'm not going to re-watch this game, but you should. How often did we stop a 2nd and long? Focus specifically on Thomas.

I can't say I'd blame the loss on the defence but they didn't force any turnovers either. Our offence was horrible. Our return game was not great.

Agree, that Nichols did not have a good game. Our D was in that bend but don't break mode, and for the most part that worked. But, then they blow up on that pass to the full back in the EZ. D gave up two big runs, one for 17 and other for 21 yards. The big difference in this game, we had two turnovers. Both times we should have put points on the board. Ajou Ajou killed us with 110 yards on 4 catches.

Brady 129 yards on 18 touches, ZC8 266 1 INT, no TDs. Ontario Wilson beautiful circus catch, but 2/7 for 48 yards. Johnson and Clercius looked good early both with 2 catches early in the game, but saw nothing after that. Johnson open a few times running across the middle. ND10 3/6, 56 yards and one fumble.   
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Jesse

Quote from: TecnoGenius on July 20, 2024, 04:06:50 AMUh, we never started (this season).  Putting up 9 is entirely within our M.O.  Is anyone surprised we are going to lose at Mosaic on a night when the refs are rigging it?

Had very little to do with the refs. The calls were egregious but you can't win if you only score 9 points.
My wife is amazing!

Jesse

Quote from: ichabod_crane on July 20, 2024, 07:11:13 AMI thought the OLD SAYING GOES "YOU PLAY TO THE WHISTLE AND LAST SECOND"! I Call B.S.! If Patterson wants to be a cry baby, then that is why he is playing for the CRYDERS!! ;) Was not a blatant dirty hit ala Simoni Lawrence. Bighill more fell on top of him that hit him hard. This is not flag football either! People get HIT once in a while HARD! So quite your whining Patterson and get a life. ZERO sympathy for him. Kind of like Fajardo throwing his team under the bus when they flopped out. Until he turned around his career in Montreal, that is what I remember most about him. BE A LEADER and NOT A WHINER! ;) :D 

For the record, Patterson told media that Bighill made a football play and he had every right to hit him.
My wife is amazing!

Blue In BC

Quote from: Jesse on July 20, 2024, 03:34:49 PMFor the record, Patterson told media that Bighill made a football play and he had every right to hit him.

Had the right and needing to in that situation are not the same thing. The game was over.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

theaardvark

Refs were bad, but we should have been better.  Did the ref's calling super tight make our DBs back off? I think Holm has shown over the years, and Ford this year, that they are well capable of making big plays.  But I think the concern over getting called for phantom PI may have affected how close they played to the Rec and the ball.

Kramdi made some plays and hits.  He did not look out of place, passport is a bonus.

Demski is NOT a turnover machine, the DB horsecollared him (should have been a penalty) and then made a perfect punch out of the ball, using the horsecollar to pull himself into position.  Demski was trying for the EZ, the only way to have prevented the punchout would have been to turtle on first contact, and wrap up the ball in both hands.  On the off chance that the DB can make the perfect punchout.  There will be a lot of review on that film in the O filmroom this week.

We got outplayed.  our best players were not our best players, especially Zach.  Picks, bad throws, bad scrambles, bad reads.  And that ride and decide where he didn't let go after Brady had it secured was ridiculous.  I'm sorry, but Zach seemed dazed and confused all game.

Biggie made that third down stop, was in the perfect place and made the perfect hit, and the refs gave the Cryders a favourable spot.  He was in on some blitzes, made some tackles, and in general, I don't think he was bad, but he wasn't great.  Not sure how many snaps Jones got if any, but I think we should be giving Biggie some rest in game.

The Dline got some pressure, Willie had a good game, Garbutt too, I think he will get better as the game "slows down" for him.

DB's were OK until the refs put on the Green/Black jerseys and lined up against them.  I do think Younger is still figuring things out, Hall does need to make is presence better known.

Our Rec corps looked off.  Wilson was struggling, but Zach's throws did not help at all.

Castillo was money again, even trying a 61 yarder was nuts, but the result was as good as a punt, so there's that.

Case was unimpressive, but its his first game on the wide field with the halo.  I like his moves, and I think he will get better as, again, the game slows down for him with more live reps.

We held them to 19, which is 10 less than their average so far, and did that in Toilet Seat Stadium.  D was not our problem.  We needed to get Streveler in there for a series or a package, give Zach a breather and an opportunity to watch and even get competitive.  Steveler got us a win, and Collaros came back the next game to "earn his spot back".  He had a good game at home against a weak Calgary team.  This was not a good game for Zach in any way, and he needs to be a lot better.  If that means platooning, so be it.  Streveler isn't here to be just a SY threat.  Use him, Buck. 
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Waffler

Kneeing it out is a time honored way of not getting hit. Bombers would have let him kill the 4 seconds as Calgary let us last week.
Buried in the essentially random digits of pi, you can find your eight-digit birthdate. (Is that a wink from God or just a lot of digits?) - David G. Myers