Official Game Day Thread - Winnipeg at Saskatchewan - July 19, 2024

Started by ModAdmin, July 17, 2024, 08:32:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theaardvark

Quote from: Blue In BC on July 20, 2024, 03:38:33 PMHad the right and needing to in that situation are not the same thing. The game was over.

Patterson got what was coming. And a message for next game.  Patterson should have slid or taken a knee, he was hot dogging trying to show up the D ("here I am, you can't catch me"), and Biggie gave him a comeuppance.  Patterson f'd around and found out.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

ichabod_crane

Quote from: theaardvark on July 20, 2024, 03:52:03 PMDemski is NOT a turnover machine, the DB horsecollared him (should have been a penalty) and then made a perfect punch out of the ball, using the horsecollar to pull himself into position.  Demski was trying for the EZ, the only way to have prevented the punchout would have been to turtle on first contact, and wrap up the ball in both hands.  On the off chance that the DB can make the perfect punchout.  There will be a lot of review on that film in the O filmroom this week.

I noticed the partial horse collar too. Usually I say let it go, but with the flimsy calls against the bombers all game I was livid yelling at my tv! 🤪😎 to me the team was getting shafted for some reason.

Long memory. Cfl western final in Edmonton in 1982. Flimsy roughing call on John Helton probably ended that game for the bombers. Still "bitter" about that even today! 🤣

People say refs don't decide a game,  but they can and have done so many a time. I don't buy that argument. In a very tight game how can they not! Is is not true a few key plays usually decide a game! Then there is your proof. A few major whiffs in calls could be those Key plays. Can't have it only for the players.

TBURGESS

Horse collar tackles are an automatic review, you don't need to throw a challenge. That means the command center reviewed it and decided it wasn't a horse collar tackle. 

The hand was over the shoulder on the front of the jersey, not on the back. Is that a horse collar by definition?
Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.

ichabod_crane

Quote from: Jesse on July 20, 2024, 03:34:49 PMFor the record, Patterson told media that Bighill made a football play and he had every right to hit him.

That was post game, not at the time of the hit. If so why did the CRYDERS try to start a brawl? Some hotheads out of control there. Not blaming Patterson, but he probably did not help to tone it down right away.

theaardvark

If Lucky is anywhere near ready, we have to bring him in for Johnson.  Unless Lawler is ready.

Johnson needs a apple and a roadmap, not sure why he is on the roster other than injury.  He has looked terrible, have not seen him block, 10 targets in 4 gaems, 6 catches, 74 yards.  That is a wasted roster spot.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Jesse on July 20, 2024, 03:26:37 PMHad very little to do with the refs. The calls were egregious but you can't win if you only score 9 points.

Can't emphasize this enough, the defence wasn't perfect but they only allowed 19 points which is usually good enough to win.  It's impossible to win when the offence only produces 9 points. 

O'Shea needs to point the gun at Buck and give him free reign to come up with a solution to an underperforming QB and a sputtering offence.  I'd give Buck till the end of the year to save his job before starting the search for a new OC with a fresh perspective to reinvigorate the offence and with it the team's future prospects.

bluebeard

Quote from: J5V on July 20, 2024, 04:04:59 AMWe've never seen Patterson play before. We'll be much better prepared for him next time.

Wont see Patterson again as Harris will be off the 6 game Injury List by then.

dd

Quote from: TBURGESS on July 20, 2024, 04:26:23 PMHorse collar tackles are an automatic review, you don't need to throw a challenge. That means the command center reviewed it and decided it wasn't a horse collar tackle.

The hand was over the shoulder on the front of the jersey, not on the back. Is that a horse collar by definition?
No it is not, grabbing inside the collar or above the numbers and causing a change of direction is a horse collar tackle. This was just a smart football play, as opposed to a dumb football play made by Bighill at the end of the game. Make smart football plays and you win games, make dumb football plays and you lose football games. Bighill s hit just showed where he is in his career, frustrated he couldn't make a tackle during the game, he chose to make a cheapshot hit in the last play of the game when the guy is trying to kill the clock as he needed to get on the stat sheet. What an embarrassment of a player

Pigskin

Quote from: Waffler on July 20, 2024, 03:53:10 PMKneeing it out is a time honored way of not getting hit. Bombers would have let him kill the 4 seconds as Calgary let us last week.

Agree.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Pigskin

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on July 20, 2024, 05:03:36 PMCan't emphasize this enough, the defence wasn't perfect but they only allowed 19 points which is usually good enough to win.  It's impossible to win when the offence only produces 9 points. 

O'Shea needs to point the gun at Buck and give him free reign to come up with a solution to an underperforming QB and a sputtering offence.  I'd give Buck till the end of the year to save his job before starting the search for a new OC with a fresh perspective to reinvigorate the offence and with it the team's future prospects.

I would give Buck till Labor Day. When we are 2nd. and 3 or 4 is ZC8 in the game. We all know that ZC8 isn't running. So, teams just key on BO20.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

dd

Pretty sad when an aspiring rookie Qb outplays your high priced mop vet. I like this Patterson kid, he shows a lot of promise. He's done very well filling in for their injured #1,

ModAdmin

Quote from: dd on July 20, 2024, 05:13:15 PMNo it is not, grabbing inside the collar or above the numbers and causing a change of direction is a horse collar tackle. This was just a smart football play, as opposed to a dumb football play made by Bighill at the end of the game. Make smart football plays and you win games, make dumb football plays and you lose football games. Bighill s hit just showed where he is in his career, frustrated he couldn't make a tackle during the game, he chose to make a cheapshot hit in the last play of the game when the guy is trying to kill the clock as he needed to get on the stat sheet. What an embarrassment of a player

Except the QB that got hit said it was a good football play.  You saying it was a "cheapshot" doesn't make that characterization correct.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

Jesse

Quote from: Blue In BC on July 20, 2024, 03:38:33 PMHad the right and needing to in that situation are not the same thing. The game was over.

I was responding to someone saying Patterson was whining and needed to grow up.
My wife is amazing!

dd

Quote from: ModAdmin on July 20, 2024, 05:28:42 PMExcept the QB that got hit said it was a good football play.  You saying it was a "cheapshot" doesn't make that characterization correct.
Patterson didn't want to come across as a whiner so he just sucked it up and avoided the controversy.

The players reaction at the end of the game tells it all. If it was a simple 'football play' there wouldn't have been the escalation immediately following it would there now?? Players know when lines have been crossed and will take action. Bighill hasn't seen the last of this. You don't think every O lineman isn't going to be gunning for him?? How about Oulette?? Did you check out him yelling at Bighill. This is far from over. The old man is going to get his just due, bank on it

Jesse

Quote from: ichabod_crane on July 20, 2024, 04:40:00 PMThat was post game, not at the time of the hit. If so why did the CRYDERS try to start a brawl? Some hotheads out of control there. Not blaming Patterson, but he probably did not help to tone it down right away.

Because their QB got hit. Any team does the same thing.
My wife is amazing!