Official Game Day Thread - Winnipeg at Saskatchewan - July 19, 2024

Started by ModAdmin, July 17, 2024, 08:32:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete

Quote from: dd on July 20, 2024, 05:49:11 PMPatterson didn't want to come across as a whiner so he just sucked it up and avoided the controversy.

The players reaction at the end of the game tells it all. If it was a simple 'football play' there wouldn't have been the escalation immediately following it would there now?? Players know when lines have been crossed and will take action. Bighill hasn't seen the last of this. You don't think every O lineman isn't going to be gunning for him?? How about Oulette?? Did you check out him yelling at Bighill. This is far from over. The old man is going to get his just due, bank on it
Its ridiculous, the entire blames is on whoever made the play call. They were up two scores with seconds left. Its a worse play call than last year when Harris got hurt on a similar play. Don:t blame Bighill for finishing the play. Why any coach would call a drop back pass and risk qb sack is beyond me

ModAdmin

Quote from: dd on July 20, 2024, 05:49:11 PMPatterson didn't want to come across as a whiner so he just sucked it up and avoided the controversy.

The players reaction at the end of the game tells it all. If it was a simple 'football play' there wouldn't have been the escalation immediately following it would there now?? Players know when lines have been crossed and will take action. Bighill hasn't seen the last of this. You don't think every O lineman isn't going to be gunning for him?? How about Oulette?? Did you check out him yelling at Bighill. This is far from over. The old man is going to get his just due, bank on it

I actually quoted Patterson and now your trying to read his mind. Think about that for a second.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

Pete

Heck, Credos to Bighill for delivering a message, took a page out of hockeys book. He knows he may have put a bullseye on his back but still didnt just roll over, or worse yet hug it out like a lot of younger players seem to want to do
He didnt go for the knees or head just delivered a good hit

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Pete on July 20, 2024, 06:09:19 PMIts ridiculous, the entire blames is on whoever made the play call. They were up two scores with seconds left. Its a worse play call than last year when Harris got hurt on a similar play. Don:t blame Bighill for finishing the play. Why any coach would call a drop back pass and risk qb sack is beyond me

As O'Shea said in his postgame interview, nothing wrong with the play Patterson ran, but he was expected to throw it away within 5 seconds not run around with it provoking a pissed off opponent.

markf

the long passes may need to be removed from the playbook.

Why not put Streveller in?

I'm sure this all makes sense to the coaches. but I'm not understanding some of what they do.

dd

Quote from: ModAdmin on July 20, 2024, 06:31:27 PMI actually quoted Patterson and now your trying to read his mind. Think about that for a second.
I'm not reading anyone's mind, just watched the players reaction afterwards and that tells me it's wasnt just a football play as guys wanted to knock each others heads in.

ModAdmin

Quote from: dd on July 20, 2024, 08:10:20 PMI'm not reading anyone's mind, just watched the players reaction afterwards and that tells me it's wasnt just a football play as guys wanted to knock each others heads in.
Yes you were attempting to interpret what Patterson was thinking. and the Riders players reaction to that play has zero to do with what Patterson said.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

dd

Quote from: ModAdmin on July 20, 2024, 08:35:31 PMYes you were attempting to interpret what Patterson was thinking. and the Riders players reaction to that play has zero to do with what Patterson said.
Don't know what Patterson was thinking, don't know what he said, just know a cheapshot when I see one, and that was as cheap as they come

theaardvark

Quote from: dd on July 20, 2024, 08:48:58 PMDon't know what Patterson was thinking, don't know what he said, just know a cheapshot when I see one, and that was as cheap as they come

Was it uncalled for?  Maybe.  Patterson f'd around and found out.  Patterson had plenty of time to toss it away or hook slide with 0:00 on the clock, but kept dancing.  It was a clean shot, and a football play.  It wasn't an attempt to injure, but it was an intent to send a message.  You play to the whistle, every play.  You want to hot dog, you gonna get roasted.

Would I like it if they did that to Zach?  Heck no, but Zach would never have put himself in that position.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Pete

agree with Aarvark...cheap as they come? sorry but as he said patterson brought that on himself..it was a hard hit, unlike many on a quarterback (that we've seen on collaros) it wasn't a spear, it wasn't a head shot, he didn't jump on him when he was down, etc  was it even flagged? If they didn't want their qb hit take a knee or throw the ball away sooner
(if it were Collaros in that position do you think Sask players would hold up and not take the opportunity to lay a hit on him?_

dd

Quote from: Pete on July 20, 2024, 09:38:48 PMagree with Aarvark...cheap as they come? sorry but as he said patterson brought that on himself..it was a hard hit, unlike many on a quarterback (that we've seen on collaros) it wasn't a spear, it wasn't a head shot, he didn't jump on him when he was down, etc  was it even flagged? If they didn't want their qb hit take a knee or throw the ball away sooner
(if it were Collaros in that position do you think Sask players would hold up and not take the opportunity to lay a hit on him?_
No , thinking about it now and reviewing the play, I agree with you guys and see why the hit happened. He definitely should have thrown the ball away. By keeping it and going down he opened himself up to the hit. I d like to chalk it up to a rookies mistake

Big Daddy

Quote from: dd on July 20, 2024, 10:05:32 PMNo , thinking about it now and reviewing the play, I agree with you guys and see why the hit happened. He definitely should have thrown the ball away. By keeping it and going down he opened himself up to the hit. I d like to chalk it up to a rookies mistake

Full respect for this dd. 

dd

Quote from: Big Daddy on July 21, 2024, 03:31:46 AMFull respect for this dd. 
Thanks. Sometimes you see things one way and then you hear others opinions and you see things in a different light. I can now see how biggie thought Patterson was rubbing it in and for that the lumber was laid to him, as it should have been

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: dd on July 21, 2024, 04:23:30 AMThanks. Sometimes you see things one way and then you hear others opinions and you see things in a different light. I can now see how biggie thought Patterson was rubbing it in and for that the lumber was laid to him, as it should have been

Biggie is chasing some tackle record, so every one counts!

J5V

Quote from: dd on July 21, 2024, 04:23:30 AMThanks. Sometimes you see things one way and then you hear others opinions and you see things in a different light. I can now see how biggie thought Patterson was rubbing it in and for that the lumber was laid to him, as it should have been
kudos bro'! Very well said. Respect your opinion whether we agree or not and even more so now. Lots of dickery in that game and I loved Biggie's response to the attempt to rub it in. Riders gotv away with OL holding and lots of dirty crap at the end of plays. Enough was enough.
Go Bombers!