Official Game Day Thread - Winnipeg at Saskatchewan - July 19, 2024

Started by ModAdmin, July 17, 2024, 08:32:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ModAdmin

Quote from: dd on July 20, 2024, 05:06:33 AMIn fairness to Andre the bad PI calls were made from the backfield officials, he was the furthest official from the play but what's he supposed to do, someone on his crew throws a flag he's got to announce it

I think the main point is the officiating was not stellar in this game.  The two PI calls were very questionable and several holding calls were missed.  The officials aren't perfect - that is true.  But when questionable or missed calls are made, it is fair game for fans to be critical.  Players receive the same critical attention from fans so officials can't be immune from criticism.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

Go_Big_D

Quote from: ModAdmin on July 20, 2024, 05:15:08 AMI think the main point is the officiating was not stellar in this game.  The two PI calls were very questionable and several holding calls were missed.  The officials aren't perfect - that is true.  But when questionable or missed calls are made, it is fair game for fans to be critical.  Players receive the same critical attention from fans so officials can't be immune from criticism.

people keep pointing the finger at proulx...how much of a factor is he making the calls(not excusing him or defending him) or  takes instructions from the subordinates ergo is proulx to blame or are the suboordinates to blame?

dd

Quote from: ModAdmin on July 20, 2024, 05:15:08 AMI think the main point is the officiating was not stellar in this game.  The two PI calls were very questionable and several holding calls were missed.  The officials aren't perfect - that is true.  But when questionable or missed calls are made, it is fair game for fans to be critical.  Players receive the same critical attention from fans so officials can't be immune from criticism.
Hey I of all people criticize the officials and rightfully so. There are some bad bad calls out there. I m just saying from an officiating standpoint Andre proulx didn't make the bad calls everyone's upset about so don't say he's calling everything. He doesn't . He has 6 other officials on his crew to take a turn at blowing calls and they get to make him look bad

Go_Big_D

Quote from: dd on July 20, 2024, 05:25:59 AMHey I of all people criticize the officials and rightfully so. There are some bad bad calls out there. I m just saying from an officiating standpoint Andre proulx didn't make the bad calls everyone's upset about so don't say he's calling everything. He doesn't . He has 6 other officials on his crew to take a turn at blowing calls and they get to make him look bad

he may get saddled with a bad crew of officials!

dd

Quote from: Go_Big_D on July 20, 2024, 05:28:15 AMhe may get saddled with a bad crew of officials!
He certainly did tonight

I've never seen anything like it in 50 years watching this league

ModAdmin

Quote from: dd on July 20, 2024, 05:25:59 AMHey I of all people criticize the officials and rightfully so. There are some bad bad calls out there. I m just saying from an officiating standpoint Andre proulx didn't make the bad calls everyone's upset about so don't say he's calling everything. He doesn't . He has 6 other officials on his crew to take a turn at blowing calls and they get to make him look bad

Your quarrel is not with me.  I did not mention Proulx.  In fact, I believe Proulx is one of the better officials in the league.  But, like players, he is part of a team and therefore we can only hope that he and the other CFL officials have a productive meeting to iron out officiating deficiencies in this particular game.  One official who called PI was within 10 feet of the the receiver and the DB and should have made a call that reflected the actual play.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: dd on July 20, 2024, 05:35:30 AMHe certainly did tonight

I've never seen anything like it in 50 years watching this league

That official is not going to emerge unscathed, they get graded on their performance and he will have some major explaining to do during his review.

ck

When Glen Suitor is complaining about officiating calls that benefitted the riders you know something is wrong... The Bombers did not play a great game but the refs put and left points on the board.

dd

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on July 20, 2024, 05:41:45 AMThat official is not going to emerge unscathed, they get graded on their performance and he will have some major explaining to do during his review.
Ya good luck explaining the ford PI call. It may be his last assignment after that one.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Pigskin on July 20, 2024, 04:18:46 AMWas stupid, but Patterson put himself in that position.

I watched it again and Biggie doesn't know if he's going to throw it or not!  Remember the BC game where BC appeared to give up and then kick a FG?  Ya, so what's to keep SSK from having Patterson run around on 3rd down and then throw a hail Mary to rack up the score.  How does Biggie know he's not going to do that?

In fact, the proof Patterson was going to throw is that he threw it!  Any QB going to throw is fair game for a tackler.  What he should have done is slide down or take a knee like any sane QB would in this situation after the clock reached 0:00.  I timed it and the QB ran around for 2.5 seconds after the clock hit 0:00.  Why doesn't he just get down?

If it was a dirty play then the refs would have thrown a flag.  Simple as that.  Heck, they loved throwing flags against WPG all night long, why not for this one?  Command could have also stepped in for RTP, and they didn't.  I doubt they fine Biggie for this one, and that will be another tell.

I just watched it in slow mo a few times and it's a perfectly fine hit.  The only question that matters:

If this was the 3rd play of the game, would you still say Biggie laid a dirty hit?  The fact that it was the final play changes nothing: the QB was still appearing to want to throw, so you tackle him.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Blue In BC on July 20, 2024, 04:27:33 AMAnother game with no stat and no impact from Thomas. I don't think I'll re-watch this on PVR but he was run past, run around and just late to the party.

Uh, did you see how good our run D was?  Except garbage time we held Oullette to pretty much just 1 big run.  Most of his runs were for 1-3Y.  In fact, our run D is part of the reason we were still in this game until the refs broke it open.

Once again, I'm not faulting Fatboi and the DL.  They even got some sacks, pressures, and tackles for losses tonight!
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on July 20, 2024, 04:29:42 AMYoung's defensive scheme is a mess.

D wasn't the problem tonight.  They kept us in it even after the first couple of ref cheats.  Even more amazing given the ToP until garbage time.

The loss is 100% on the O.  I bet if we have zero turnovers we still somehow manage to squeak a win out over SSK and the refs.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: dd on July 20, 2024, 04:42:56 AMThe Riders D made a huge play when it looked like we were going to score, that was the difference in the game right there. Great battle, worst game I can remember for officiating and I be been watching since 1974. An embarrassment really. That PI call on Ford was ridiculous.

Thank you.  I've been an every-game-every-week watcher since 2014 and I've never seen anything like it.  That's what I was trying to convey in-game.  I can understand one horrifically bad DPI, but a second one even worse from the same ref was over the top.  It's like they weren't just trying to rig it, they had to demoralize us and rub it in.

I really hope the league looks into this: you can't explain it away with incompetence.  And I would like MOS to also, very tactfully (no fines!), address it in the pressers/coach show.  I'll study the plays again over the next day or so, but upon my first set of computer tricks/replays in-game, there was literally nothing there.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Go_Big_D on July 20, 2024, 05:00:46 AMjust out of curiosity, does proulx make the calls or does the other officials throw the flag and report to proulx on the call?

Quote from: dd on July 20, 2024, 05:06:33 AMIn fairness to Andre the bad PI calls were made from the backfield officials, he was the furthest official from the play but what's he supposed to do, someone on his crew throws a flag he's got to announce it

dd is right.  Unless another ref sees something else and talks the flag ref out of it, the penalty is called.  Proulx has absolutely nothing to do with it, unless he saw something contrary.

That said, Proulx does have some control over his crew pre-game: he sets the tone, he tells them how he wants it called (super strict; or super loose for playoffs).  No matter what the league does, Proulx needs to rip that one ref a new one.  This affects Proulx's grade too.
Never go full Rider!

ichabod_crane

Questionable? No, there were close to 4 blatant blind ridiculous calls and all went against the Bombers. I just kept waiting for what next they would be shafted for! :( Sure enough they kept coming.

This might have been the WORST OFFICIATED GAME I HAVE EVER SEEN IN THE CFL!! THIS GOES BACK TO 1980 when I started following the Bombers and the CFL regularly and pretty intensely. Youngest memories start in 1976. BLATANT PATHETIC CALLS at least 4 times. There is bad, but when even HELEN KELLER can see the obvious, then something is rotten in Mudville! ;) Even Suits was commenting on it on TSN. HORRIBLE! BUSH LEAGUE DOES not even describe it to me. NOT EVEN CLOSE TO penalties or so away from the play it had no bearing at all....I HATE THOSE THE MOST. Unless roughing or unsportsmanlike type things, why even call it if it HAS 0% effect on the play? Let the BOYZ play! ;) Same with hockey...this is not ballet, it's a rough game at times! :D

Something off with Zach. Forcing balls into so tight a zone for possible picks which he once threw away. I don't think he can scramble as well as he used to, but throwing up bad balls has nothing to do with his scrambling. That is football sense as a QB. Is Streveler rubbing off on him with his iffy longer passing? He had a few nice ones to Wilson, but others he was way off. I remember one play Wilson had his guy beat and Zach not really pressured threw it into Wilson's feet. That would have been a major game buster, but alas ZIPPO! :(

I watched the game with a brother and he commented our O-Line is maybe a bit weak inside or the new tackle. Sort of a moot point at tackle as Hardrick done probably for the year. Maybe ousting Gray was not such a smart move. Neufeld getting up there in age and fitness. Is Stanley Bryant fading out too? I can't say really as I don't follow o-line play that intensely.

Outside of Wilson, no much seen from the new receivers either. Nothing horrible, but no bust outs either. Return game is stable, but nobody busting anything or even threatening too really. Kicking is top notch though! All of a sudden O'Shea going for long bombs from 60+ yards? He would NEVER do that in prior seasons outside like a HAIL MARY type thing near the end of a game. Castillo has just been plowing the ball well this season along with accuracy. Still you can't make 60 yard bombs all the time.