NFL cuts of CFL'ers thread

Started by theaardvark, July 31, 2023, 08:13:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue In BC

Quote from: peg_city on August 29, 2023, 04:20:40 PM
I think his contract is done at the end of this CFL season. So, in March, when the NFL season is done, he can re-sign in the CFL. Collaros makes $600K CDN and I'd expect Rourke to get offered similar.

IIRC, Mike Reilly and Bo Levi got offered 700K CDN.

If Rourke sticks in the NFL for 2023 then I think there is a good chance he stays there in 2024. However a chance to start and earn more in the CFL would not be out of the question. Risk analysis short and long term decision for him.

The real issue is whether he chooses to accept a PR role versus returning to the CFL in 2023 if he can't re-new his ELC.

Like I said, I think he does accept a PR spot at worst for 2023.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

bomb squad

I'm very surprised re Rourke's waiving. Given the circumstances around his signing (he was somewhat "auctioned" in a way), his preseason performance, etc., very strange. I will also be surprised if he clears. I think somebody grabs him. I hope so, that would be better for him at his point IMO.

Blue In BC

Quote from: bomb squad on August 29, 2023, 05:26:37 PM
I'm very surprised re Rourke's waiving. Given the circumstances around his signing (he was somewhat "auctioned" in a way), his preseason performance, etc., very strange. I will also be surprised if he clears. I think somebody grabs him. I hope so, that would be better for him at his point IMO.

Is it required that a player being picked up on waivers must be added to the AR? Not a lot of point moving from one team to another only to sit on their PR. Of course it's better than no offer.

IMO I thought he choose the wrong team due to those in front of him at QB. I don't know what other NFL offers he got so that's only an opinion.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

DM83

I am of the opinion he stays on the PR of the Panthers, at worst,  or whoever he was at training camp.  I think he is better than a number of starters.  However, it?s to be expected, he sits for a while.  He. Is a long shot.

However, if he comes back to Canada one of the two three. Millionaires who own their teams should get in in him and sign him. And if I was an owner with deep pockets the sky is the limit.

Certainly he. Cut his teeth in BC, and who would not want to live there?
There are also a ton of NFL teams that could use him?

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: DM83 on August 29, 2023, 06:05:34 PM
I am of the opinion he stays on the PR of the Panthers, at worst,  or whoever he was at training camp.  I think he is better than a number of starters.  However, it?s to be expected, he sits for a while.  He. Is a long shot.

However, if he comes back to Canada one of the two three. Millionaires who own their teams should get in in him and sign him. And if I was an owner with deep pockets the sky is the limit.

Certainly he. Cut his teeth in BC, and who would not want to live there?
There are also a ton of NFL teams that could use him?

The sky is not the limit, the CFL brought in a salary cap to limit team spending, if an owner wanted to pay one player $1M per season, that would divert money from going into other players pockets.

peg_city

Remember that time Doug Flutie was making a million a season.

Wasn't Dunigan making like around 500K for the bombers in the 90s?

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: peg_city on August 29, 2023, 06:49:51 PM
Remember that time Doug Flutie was making a million a season.

Wasn't Dunigan making like around 500K for the bombers in the 90s?

Yep, Cal took the elastic off his wallet and it almost sunk the team, putting them in a financial hole.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on August 29, 2023, 07:14:49 PM
Yep, Cal took the elastic off his wallet and it almost sunk the team, putting them in a financial hole.

A better example might be when the Lions paid big $$$$ for Mike Reilly and their season tanked.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

M.O.A.B.

Former Bombers global LB Ayo Oyelola was waived by the Jags
Former Bomber LB Barrington Wade was waived by the Bears

RebusRankin

If Rourke comes back in the off season, I think he makes at least the same as ZC, so $600,000.

bomb squad

For what it's worth, cbs sports has Rourke listed as cut by the Jaguars as of today. I have no clue if that's accurate. Just putting it out there. 

pjrocksmb

Quote from: DM83 on August 29, 2023, 02:03:38 PM
Ford  can easily replace Rose..Morse has not  been the same. Since 2019.  I suspect injuries have taken a tole
Rose is our starter.  End of.  He has been great since his return and back to a top defense player he was previously.

Quote from: LXTSN on August 29, 2023, 02:18:11 PM
I'd say Rose was our best DB last game, and the defence the last 2 games hasn't allowed a TD.
Our defense as a whole has been great and Rose specifically looks like he has improved a lot from last year!
Facts are presented above
Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on August 29, 2023, 02:19:05 PM
Ford would go back to being the 3rd corner. Darby would stay rostered to cover a shuffle in the event of a HB/Safety injury.
Yup

Pete

seems to be a lot of nfl cuts with cfl ties however til we see what happens with practice rosters it doesn't mean a lot right now

The Zipp

All 32 NFL teams (including ones with only 1 QB on the active roster - Patriots) passed on adding Rourke to their active roster...he is signing to the Jags PR.

https://3downnation.com/2023/08/30/canadian-qb-nathan-rourke-clears-waivers-will-join-practice-roster-with-jaguars/

Blue In BC

Quote from: M.O.A.B. on August 29, 2023, 10:01:16 PM
Former Bombers global LB Ayo Oyelola was waived by the Jags
Former Bomber LB Barrington Wade was waived by the Bears

It depends on whether Hansen will be returning in 2023 and when. Ayelola might be better than Maruo but I'm not certain. The other option is a deletion of a global on the PR as part of some movement. Like I said if Hansen is close to return then there isn't much space available.

I'm waiting to see if Hansen starts practising today with a possible return for the Banjo Bowl?

Don't think we're interested in Wade but I could be wrong.

Still waiting to see what happens with Ford and whether he's returning.
2019 Grey Cup Champions