NFL cuts of CFL'ers thread

Started by theaardvark, July 31, 2023, 08:13:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TBURGESS

QuoteIf offered an NFL contract, players can opt out of their CFL contract by signing off on a document that outlines the following terms:

I am aware that by opting out, I am not eligible to sign with any other CFL Club or in any other professional football league other than the NFL during the term of my SPC and should I wish to return to the CFL during the term of my SPC and I?m fit to play skilled football, I must return to [previous CFL team] and sign a new contract for the exact amounts and term of my previously terminated contract.

If the player returns to their CFL team by Sept. 13, 2022, they will receive the bonus money in a prorated amount. If the player does not report back to their CFL team by Sept. 13, 2022, the bonus money will revert back to the team.
From: https://3downnation.com/2021/12/23/detailing-how-the-cfls-new-nfl-window-works/
Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.

Blue In BC

Quote from: TBURGESS on September 01, 2023, 02:51:35 PM
From: https://3downnation.com/2021/12/23/detailing-how-the-cfls-new-nfl-window-works/

That still doesn't cover how long a player can continue to explore an NFL offer after being released by team signed in NFL option window. I doubt Ford had any bonus money involved to consider.

It only dictates he'd have to return to the Bombers if he returns to the CFL. Unless his rights were traded by the Bombers when he is eligible to return.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Blue In BC on September 01, 2023, 03:32:08 PM
That still doesn't cover how long a player can continue to explore an NFL offer after being released by team signed in NFL option window. I doubt Ford had any bonus money involved to consider.

It only dictates he'd have to return to the Bombers if he returns to the CFL. Unless his rights were traded by the Bombers when he is eligible to return.

The Bombers retain his rights but I don't think they can force a player to come back within a certain timeframe if they decide to wait out other NFL options.  I have a feeling the Bombers went through this with Kongbo when he was between NFL teams.

theaardvark

Quote from: Blue In BC on August 18, 2023, 04:44:12 PM
We might get Ford back after the 29th. It may depend on how early he gets cut whether he gets a PR offer. He can't jump to another NFL team as part of his NFL option. He's still under contract with the Bombers.

You state that he can't jump to another NFL team... where did that info come from?
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on September 01, 2023, 05:11:23 PM
The Bombers retain his rights but I don't think they can force a player to come back within a certain timeframe if they decide to wait out other NFL options.  I have a feeling the Bombers went through this with Kongbo when he was between NFL teams.

What's the point of an " NFL option window " then? If it's a loophole then they should work to clarify all time frames involved.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Blue In BC

Quote from: theaardvark on September 01, 2023, 05:38:47 PM
You state that he can't jump to another NFL team... where did that info come from?

The NFL waiver period was stated as 10 days before a player becomes a free agent. However my position is that an NFL option window is a restricted free agent due to the CFL contract still being in place. I can't find anything one way or the other that suggests a player can spend the rest of the year looking for another NFL gig.

If he returns to the CFL, he has another NFL option window in February 2024. That suggests there is a closing time frame within 2023.  Either way, I don't see him getting another offer in the NFL. He may choose to not play football in 2023.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Pigskin

Quote from: Blue In BC on September 01, 2023, 05:41:23 PM
The NFL waiver period was stated as 10 days before a player becomes a free agent. However my position is that an NFL option window is a restricted free agent due to the CFL contract still being in place. I can't find anything one way or the other that suggests a player can spend the rest of the year looking for another NFL gig.

If he returns to the CFL, he has another NFL option window in February 2024. That suggests there is a closing time frame within 2023.  Either way, I don't see him getting another offer in the NFL. He may choose to not play football in 2023.

I can't see the Bombers trading him. Just to good of an athlete. He's a little quicker then his brother, and was good on teams last year. 
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Pigskin on September 01, 2023, 05:56:49 PM
I can't see the Bombers trading him. Just to good of an athlete. He's a little quicker then his brother, and was good on teams last year. 

I like the potential that Ford brings. His speed and athleticism is a great starting point. Part of the problem with having a 2nd global on the roster is that it cost us a spot for a Canadian.

Injuries aside ( timing wise ) who would we take off the AR to add Ford? Injuries to Gauthier and Briggs along with possible duration may create an opening.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

KINGCHARLES

Quote from: Blue In BC on September 01, 2023, 10:18:24 PM
I like the potential that Ford brings. His speed and athleticism is a great starting point. Part of the problem with having a 2nd global on the roster is that it cost us a spot for a Canadian.

Injuries aside ( timing wise ) who would we take off the AR to add Ford? Injuries to Gauthier and Briggs along with possible duration may create an opening.
Exume probably comes off for Ford, and Ford can potentially handle both  return duties
BEASTS OF THE EAST

I DON'T BRAKE FOR RIDER FANS

Blue In BC

Quote from: KINGCHARLES on September 01, 2023, 10:46:54 PM
Exume probably comes off for Ford, and Ford can potentially handle both  return duties

It's a musical chairs kind of situation. I see Gauthier has come off the roster today and Burtenshaw was added. It's not clear if Gauthier went to 1 game or 6 game IR. I like Gauthier being on the AR but if his injury keeps him out for several weeks then Ford return would bump Burtenshaw IMO.

All that said, we may have additional injuries this week which might impact who goes where.

Step 1 is Ford returning. He's already in game shape after his NFL TC and pre -season play. So he could be here in time for Banjo Bowl.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

DM83

Is there any word on Ford coming back to Canada? I would think he would wait a couple weeks until injuries in the NFL are determined.

Blue In BC

Quote from: DM83 on September 02, 2023, 04:25:41 PM
Is there any word on Ford coming back to Canada? I would think he would wait a couple weeks until injuries in the NFL are determined.

No word but realistically does he really have a chance to be picked up by an NFL team? There are a few hundred players that were released. 90-(53 + 16 PR ) = 21 X 32 teams. That's 672 players minus any that went onto IR lists.

That's a lot of other players that may have greater experience in CFL, XFL, USFL and NFL at every roster position.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

KINGCHARLES

Quote from: DM83 on September 02, 2023, 04:25:41 PM
Pretty sure contract wise he's only allowed a maximum of 10 days to find work or he has to report back to the Bombers. I guess unless the Bombers agree to give him more time.
BEASTS OF THE EAST

I DON'T BRAKE FOR RIDER FANS

TBURGESS

Quote from: KINGCHARLES on September 02, 2023, 07:07:05 PM
Pretty sure contract wise he's only allowed a maximum of 10 days to find work or he has to report back to the Bombers. I guess unless the Bombers agree to give him more time.
I don't think so. He can take as long as he wants trying to find an NFL job. He has to come back to the team he left as long as he would have still been under contract to the team. In other words, if his contract is over in December, he doesn't have to come back to us next year.
Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.

bunker

Quote from: TBURGESS on September 02, 2023, 07:29:55 PM
I don't think so. He can take as long as he wants trying to find an NFL job. He has to come back to the team he left as long as he would have still been under contract to the team. In other words, if his contract is over in December, he doesn't have to come back to us next year.
That is my understanding of how the NFL window works as well, based on the information from 3Downation you posted earlier.