NFL cuts of CFL'ers thread

Started by theaardvark, July 31, 2023, 08:13:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete

Every year the nfl practice rosters get bigger...they have so much revenue they don't know what to do with it, making it harder and harder for lesser leagues to attract young good talent

Blue In BC

Ford was released by the Packers. The comments were that he could be picked up by any other team over the next 2 days. I'm not sure that is correct with an NFL option player form the CFL.

Can anybody confirm that? Either way I'm not sure another team would pick him up on waivers. Each team is dealing with selecting their own PR's and possible picking up a vet that fills a particular need rather than an undrafted player from Canada.

After 2 days he could be then added to the Packer PR.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Blue In BC

Nathan Rourke was released by the Panthers. There must be enough interest to add him to their PR?
2019 Grey Cup Champions

M.O.A.B.

Quote from: Blue In BC on August 29, 2023, 01:21:39 AM
Ford was released by the Packers. The comments were that he could be picked up by any other team over the next 2 days. I'm not sure that is correct with an NFL option player form the CFL.

Can anybody confirm that? Either way I'm not sure another team would pick him up on waivers. Each team is dealing with selecting their own PR's and possible picking up a vet that fills a particular need rather than an undrafted player from Canada.

After 2 days he could be then added to the Packer PR.

He can be pickup by any other NFL team over the next 2 days. If he clears the waivers, then Packers can add him back to their PR.

DCM

Quote from: Blue In BC on August 29, 2023, 01:22:37 AM
Nathan Rourke was released by the Panthers. There must be enough interest to add him to their PR?
Jaguars and as I posted the tweet on the last page, he could be on the PR if he clears waivers first.
Twitch Account: Here - Website: Here

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: Blue In BC on August 29, 2023, 01:22:37 AM
The  Jaguars. Wrong Cat.
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Pete on August 28, 2023, 06:18:13 PM
He easily adds more value than exume, briggs and caldwader.

Don't dis my man Cadwallader!  I watch him like a hawk.  He's very effective on ST even though he's like 3rd+ wave.  And the rare time he's in on D he doesn't just whiff on everyone.  I think he has great development prospects.  I have no idea if he'll ever be "more than a STer", but he might grow to be an amazing STer.

Plus he's fun to watch.

If we got Ford (someone said we still have the rights?) then we PR or release a marginal NAT, or even ADS (another corner, eh?) or Darby (if we are thinking SAM).  Having 2 NAT that can be good at SAM means we don't have to waste a DI on it.  Big bonus.
Never go full Rider!

peg_city

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on August 29, 2023, 12:34:08 AM
He'll land on a PR but not sure he's coming back any time soon. Streveler lasted until this pre season and Rourke is 3 times the QB.

A CFL team will throw guaranteed money at him worth more than a NFL practice roster spot. So by March 2024 Rourke will have a decision to make.

Ricky Ray asked for his release in the early 2000's....

Blue In BC

Quote from: M.O.A.B. on August 29, 2023, 01:56:29 AM
He can be pickup by any other NFL team over the next 2 days. If he clears the waivers, then Packers can add him back to their PR.

That still doesn't answer the direct issue of the NFL option window. He could sign that before the middle of February. If he doesn't get re-signed by the Packers that would seem to exclude moving to another team. If that isn't correct it should be changed in the CBA. I couldn't find anything anywhere that clarifies that one way or the other.

Regardless, he doesn't have an NFL history that would make him a high profile target on the waiver wire.

EDIT: Here's a view from the other site noting it's not an absolute but an " I believe " thought. Having said that I could see this version as possible.

Posted 2 hours ago (edited)

16 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Does Ford have a certain length of time to catch on?  Before guys couldn't sign to PR and had 10 days after release to get on an active roster otherwise had to report back to CFL team.

I believe the rule is still the same. 10 days after clearing waivers and their CFL contract is reactivated. At that point they are not eligible for the NFL anymore.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

DM83

Ford  can easily replace Rose..Morse has not  been the same. Since 2019.  I suspect injuries have taken a tole

LXTSN

Quote from: DM83 on August 29, 2023, 02:03:38 PM
Ford  can easily replace Rose..Morse has not  been the same. Since 2019.  I suspect injuries have taken a tole
I'd say Rose was our best DB last game, and the defence the last 2 games hasn't allowed a TD.
Our defense as a whole has been great and Rose specifically looks like he has improved a lot from last year!

Sir Blue and Gold

Ford would go back to being the 3rd corner. Darby would stay rostered to cover a shuffle in the event of a HB/Safety injury.

Blue In BC

Quote from: peg_city on August 29, 2023, 12:31:12 PM
A CFL team will throw guaranteed money at him worth more than a NFL practice roster spot. So by March 2024 Rourke will have a decision to make.

Ricky Ray asked for his release in the early 2000's....

I may be incorrect, however: IIRC Rourke is still under contract to the Lions. I seem to recall that the team is not able to re-negotiate a players ELC.

I'm expecting him to be offered and accept a PR deal. He's one injury away from being on the AR.

Now if he's actually a CFL free agent, then he could quite easily be signed by one of several teams and become their starter. Bidders war in the $500K - $600K. The catch at the moment even on a pro-rated basis is which teams have SMS room for 2023?
2019 Grey Cup Champions

peg_city

Quote from: Blue In BC on August 29, 2023, 03:49:39 PM
I may be incorrect, however: IIRC Rourke is still under contract to the Lions. I seem to recall that the team is not able to re-negotiate a players ELC.

I'm expecting him to be offered and accept a PR deal. He's one injury away from being on the AR.

Now if he's actually a CFL free agent, then he could quite easily be signed by one of several teams and become their starter. Bidders war in the $500K - $600K. The catch at the moment even on a pro-rated basis is which teams have SMS room for 2023?

I think his contract is done at the end of this CFL season. So, in March, when the NFL season is done, he can re-sign in the CFL. Collaros makes $600K CDN and I'd expect Rourke to get offered similar.

IIRC, Mike Reilly and Bo Levi got offered 700K CDN.

theaardvark

Quote from: peg_city on August 29, 2023, 04:20:40 PM
I think his contract is done at the end of this CFL season. So, in March, when the NFL season is done, he can re-sign in the CFL. Collaros makes $600K CDN and I'd expect Rourke to get offered similar.

IIRC, Mike Reilly and Bo Levi got offered 700K CDN.

CFL QB money got nuts for a while, and teams figured out that blowing too much of the cap on one guy was a bad idea, and salaries dropped.  Some "starting" QB's get far less than $500k now (and most of them aren't even earning those deals).  I don't think we will see many $600k+ contracts ever again, even for Rourke.  Might get creative with signing bonuses and guaranteed money, but cap hit is far too valuable to put all the eggs in one basket ever again.

Corneleus has $100k in guaranteed money in 2024... Maier $105k.  Even if cut, they will be cap hits next year. 
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.