Hamilton @ Winnipeg Season Opener.

Started by Pigskin, June 03, 2023, 03:31:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue In BC

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on June 07, 2023, 03:46:39 PM
Right. Prukop ran the short yardage package. He didn't take handoffs.

Different skill sets and he often ran inside or outside. A player can get injured in practice. It's not like there are several shorter yardage plays in any game where it's more than 1 yard etc.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: Blue In BC on June 07, 2023, 03:47:39 PM
Different skill sets and he often ran inside and outside.

It was also his 5th CFL season. I think Pigrome will grow into a similar style package over time but your suggestion that he could take handoffs is not going to happen.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on June 07, 2023, 03:50:49 PM
It was also his 5th CFL season. I think Pigrome will grow into a similar style package over time but your suggestion that he could take handoffs is not going to happen.

2 QB's in the back field and he's the one that moves up quickly under centre. Is it a run up the middle or a drop back for a pass?

I also said he could take a swing pass and then throw down field. There are more than 1 option with the 2 QB scenario.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: Blue In BC on June 07, 2023, 03:52:58 PM
2 QB's in the back field and he's the one that moves up quickly under centre. Is it a run up the middle or a drop back for a pass?

I also said he could take a swing pass and then throw down field. There are more than 1 option with the 2 QB scenario.

They aren't going to do any of them right away. They didn't do that with Prukop. They didn't do that with Steveler. For a rookie QB starting his first season, you keep his playbook short, easy, with an emphasis on keeping him in good situations. He's not catching swing passes or taking handoffs.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on June 07, 2023, 03:58:26 PM
They aren't going to do any of them right away. They didn't do that with Prukop. They didn't do that with Steveler. For a rookie QB starting his first season, you keep his playbook short, easy, with an emphasis on keeping him in good situations. He's not catching swing passes or taking handoffs.

It wouldn't be the 1st time a rookie # 3 QB has had that kind of role very early in his career. We'll see how simple they keep things and for how long. Chances are he only sees the field 3 - 4 times in a game. Nothing wrong with some variations.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Jesse

Didn't Streveler start the first three games of his rookie season? Nichols was hurt or something?
My wife is amazing!

LXTSN

I agree with this. I want Pigrome focusing all his time and energy becoming the best QB he can be.
The wildcat formations have not been effective in the past at any level of football. But tossing him in for a couple plays to change the pace did work great with Streveler and I think would work great with Pigrome as well.

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: Jesse on June 07, 2023, 04:14:04 PM
Didn't Streveler start the first three games of his rookie season? Nichols was hurt or something?

Yea. Steveler started because Nichols was hurt. They didn't have him catching swing passes or taking handoffs.

Jesse

In any case, Pigrome is our #3 QB. He will do short yardage. And we all know that this team uses their #3 QB to run a number of plays to catch the opposing team with mismatched personnel.

But Dru is the back-up.
My wife is amazing!

Blue In BC

Quote from: Jesse on June 07, 2023, 04:23:43 PM
In any case, Pigrome is our #3 QB. He will do short yardage. And we all know that this team uses their #3 QB to run a number of plays to catch the opposing team with mismatched personnel.

But Dru is the back-up.

In 2022 Prukop completed 7 of 14 passes. He ran 53 times

In his 4 years in the CFL he completed 43 of 70 passes and ran 91 times.

Sure. We always hope our # 3 QB develops into a solid starting QB. Most of the current starting QB's were # 3 originally. OTOH how many never got past being a short yardage QB with long productive careers?

Pigrome may be in the CFL forever or gone in a couple of years.

In either case, looking forward to him showing off what he can do in 2022. He does have the ability to make something out of nothing with being able to extend plays by his elusiveness and threat as a runner. He's different that QB's we've had in the past in that sense. Too small a sample to determine if he can become a # 2 QB or become a # 1 QB in a couple of years.

Steveler was more of a run right over you QB.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Pigskin

Quote from: Blue In BC on June 07, 2023, 04:30:01 PM

Sure. We always hope our # 3 QB develops into a solid starting QB. Most of the current starting QB's were # 3 originally. OTOH how many never got past being a short yardage QB with long productive careers?

In either case, looking forward to him showing off what he can do in 2022. He does have the ability to make something out of nothing with being able to extend plays by his elusiveness and threat as a runner. He's different that QB's we've had in the past in that sense. Too small a sample to determine if he can become a # 2 QB or become a # 1 QB in a couple of years.

Sounds like a few people would like to have him turn into a Locksley type of QB.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Pigskin on June 07, 2023, 04:43:32 PM
Sounds like a few people would like to have him turn into a Locksley type of QB.

That wouldn't be the worst outcome. Locksley spends more time as a receiver than as a QB but he's also very athletic. Streveler might be the closest example we've had in recent past.

I was just checking our rosters from years gone by. I couldn't find any real good example of the Bombers finding / developing a # 3 Qb that turned into a starter.

Before Streveler we had # 3 Qb's like Bennett, David, Brohm and Marve. At least Davis was a starter briefly in his career but realistically he was not # 1 material.

Pigrome does have experience as a RB and he's built like a RB. Very strong lower body and very fast. We saw that in pre season.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

Pigskin

Quote from: Blue In BC on June 07, 2023, 04:59:39 PM
That wouldn't be the worst outcome. Locksley spends more time as a receiver than as a QB but he's also very athletic. Streveler might be the closest example we've had in recent past.

I was just checking our rosters from years gone by. I couldn't find any real good example of the Bombers finding / developing a # 3 Qb that turned into a starter.

Before Streveler we had # 3 Qb's like Bennett, David, Brohm and Marve. At least Davis was a starter briefly in his career but realistically he was not # 1 material.

Pigrome does have experience as a RB and he's built like a RB. Very strong lower body and very fast. We saw that in pre season.

I be happy if the Bombers just played P13 as a QB. Short yardage QB, with a small package of plays.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

theaardvark

You have to kiss a lot of frogs to find a prince...

Developing a #1 QB is tough, and even getting guys to the point of "having potential" to be a #1 is tough.  

Brown has shown well in his limited reps, and the fact he is still here says "potential".  How many more years does Collaros have?  

Pigrove does look exciting, bringing a different look to the field.  Do they figure him out quick and become able to scheme against him?  We will see.  But he has tools, for sure.  

Its not like every year, every team finds a new QB with starting potential.  It happens sporadically, and most don't "develop" where they were first signed.  CGY was a QB farm, Huff seemed to be the QB whisperer.  We had MBT here before he went to Toronto and put up the best stats in the league and won a GC for them, so yeah, we've "discovered" starting talent....
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Blue In BC on June 07, 2023, 04:30:01 PM

Piggy is like one of those super athletic QB's that if thrown into the fire too early on a bad team they try to do too much on their own, and fail quickly because every player on the field is keyed on stopping them.  Which is what I suspect happened to him a lot in College, playing for lower ranked teams with poor records. Now that he's playing on a great team, with well seasoned mentors and being well managed, he has the opportunity to learn to use his weapons well and resist the urge to carry the team on his shoulders.