Dionte Spencer

Started by Blue In BC, December 01, 2022, 04:30:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jesse

Quote from: the paw on December 04, 2022, 02:44:32 AM
According to a very confusingly organized 3down article, Lewis got $170k in hard money last year, but his $25k signing bonus was against the 2021 cap.  So I read that as $195k total, so I think your estimate for this year is very close.

Lawler had $177k in hard money and a weird and massive roster bonus of $128k, putting total compensation at $305k.  I expect him to drop back to about $200k this year.

By way of comparison, Ellingson was at $165k which would have been a steal if he had played the whole season.  With that kind of budget we can compete for any free agent WR except the top 2 or 3.

Thanks for that.

In the same article, Lewis talks about regretting signing his last contract so early and about being more patient this time. Sounds like he regrets signing at the rate given a couple of the contracts that came after him.
My wife is amazing!

dd

Quote from: ModAdmin on December 04, 2022, 02:14:26 AM
Keep in mind both were healthy when they signed big contracts with BC and Edmonton.  Both suffered injuries and missed chunks of the season. Lewis had a stellar full season and was runner up league MOP.  Doubt Whitehead or Lawler would command those salaries next season.
That?s what I m thinking. If whitehead was $200k and Lawler $300k, both were hurt this year, Lewis has always been healthy and productive, I don?t see his salary demands being anything less than $250 and he?s worth it.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Jesse on December 04, 2022, 01:28:06 PM
Thanks for that.

In the same article, Lewis talks about regretting signing his last contract so early and about being more patient this time. Sounds like he regrets signing at the rate given a couple of the contracts that came after him.

Dummy should keep his mouth shut, second guessing coaches or dissing them in hindsight is going to reduce some teams interest in him.

Jesse

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on December 04, 2022, 07:21:20 PM
Dummy should keep his mouth shut, second guessing coaches or dissing them in hindsight is going to reduce some teams interest in him.

He didn't say anything terrible or call anyone out.

"WR wants the ball" - shocking, lol.
My wife is amazing!

Blue In BC

The Bombers have not been an organization in recent years to go outside the roster in acquiring big paycheck veterans in free agency. The SMS is used to re-sign our own top players and possibly 1 or 2 mid range SMS players.

I don't see them looking at a player like Lawler if he doesn't fit the financial plan. Now if he wants to return to Winnipeg and wants a similar number to Ellingson then that's a different conversation. I don't see that happening but I also don't believe teams will be making him the offers he had in 2022.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: Blue In BC on December 05, 2022, 03:25:27 PM
The Bombers have not been an organization in recent years to go outside the roster in acquiring big paycheck veterans in free agency. The SMS is used to re-sign our own top players and possibly 1 or 2 mid range SMS players.

I don't see them looking at a player like Lawler if he doesn't fit the financial plan. Now if he wants to return to Winnipeg and wants a similar number to Ellingson then that's a different conversation. I don't see that happening but I also don't believe teams will be making him the offers he had in 2022.

Maybe but it's certainly possible we could resign him. Basically, we don't sign Ellingson and if we were to go with Kowalczuk over Couture and suddenly we have money for Lawler.

theaardvark

Lawler didn't do anything to hurt his value this year, other than getting hurt.  When on the field, he was still one of the top WR in the league.

I can't see him signing for less than $200k with 9 teams needing a top WR. 

I can't see us spending $200k on a WR... other than Demski, who I feel is a more impact player than Lawler, in our offense.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: theaardvark on December 05, 2022, 05:24:06 PM
Lawler didn't do anything to hurt his value this year, other than getting hurt.  When on the field, he was still one of the top WR in the league.

I can't see him signing for less than $200k with 9 teams needing a top WR. 

I can't see us spending $200k on a WR... other than Demski, who I feel is a more impact player than Lawler, in our offense.

Might be able to get him here for $220-250,000 and the allure of playoff money. Ellingston reportedly made $175 so it's not like it would be particularly hard, assuming we don't sign him. What Lawler received last year was a gross overpay and I'm sure not even Edmonton will do that again so a market correction is probably in the cards for him regardless.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on December 05, 2022, 05:05:14 PM
Maybe but it's certainly possible we could resign him. Basically, we don't sign Ellingson and if we were to go with Kowalczuk over Couture and suddenly we have money for Lawler.

I'm not saying we wouldn't have the money. I'm saying we wouldn't use it in that way trying to sign a receiver at the top of the food chain. Interestingly I think we might lose Couture as an SMS casualty.

As you suggested Lawler might see a market correction. No worries about his injuries in 2022. I think only Edmonton and Vancouver were in the chase to sign him at a ridiculous SMS hit last year. Obviously teams will be interested in his talents. Just guessing that the Lions were very happy with their receivers and he Elks have seen the error of their ways.

Teams that have spent SMS foolishly have not done well. D. Walker in Toronto, Reilly in BC are other examples of how that makes it more difficult to build the rest of the roster etc.

Players like Lewis or Lawler will land in a team looking for a # 1 receiver and might be willing to overpay.

Can't tell who that will be until some of the other free agents decide to move elsewhere.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on December 05, 2022, 05:05:14 PM

Kowalczuk?

I don't see the Bombers re-signing Ellingson.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on December 05, 2022, 07:11:19 PM
Kowalczuk?

My bad, you're right. Chris Kolankowski

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on December 05, 2022, 07:11:19 PM
Kowalczuk?

It really depends on what his injury was and if it has a chance of reoccurring or was just a fluke. I think he probably has the motivation to want to return to this team and play one more year, if Zach really wants him, and he accepts a salary in the range of $150k he would be a very solid addition IMO.  That would leave Schoen and Bailey as the wildcards, and I don't see there being a big league demand to overspend on Bailey, as a 3rd or 4th receiver.

M.O.A.B.

As for Diontae Spencer, he's been added NY Jets to their PR.