Dionte Spencer

Started by Blue In BC, December 01, 2022, 04:30:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pigskin

What would Lewis get as an FA this year.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Jesse

My wife is amazing!

ModAdmin

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

Blue In BC

Quote from: ModAdmin on December 03, 2022, 09:51:51 PM
Doubt it would be much less.

That's too much for the Bombers IMO.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

dd

What did the Lions pay whitehead and the elks Lawler??

TecnoGenius

Quote from: the paw on December 02, 2022, 03:30:23 AM
In addition to Bighill, you could count Tom Clements, Marcus Thigpen, Andy Fantuz, Henoc Muamba, Weston Dressler and Dave Dickenson as guys who did not suffer from the NFL hangover.  Those are just off the top of my head, I am sure people will remember others. 

I said, and am thinking more the guys who actually play in the NFL, as in AR for a whole season.  Not guys who bounce around PRs and never get anywhere other than dressing as backups and just a few game reps (like Biggie).  And I don't mean guys that started in the NFL and then came here and didn't go back.  It's the process of being the CFL, leaving for your big NFL shot, then coming back to the CFL that seems to screw up some players' heads.

Or maybe it's only a more recent phenomena: Duke, Walker, Matthews.  Those guys actually made NFL ARs and were gone longer than the 1 year thing.  I have a funny feeling that if Zylstra returned, he'd suck too.  And maybe it's more a WR thing vs defense guys?

Bottom line: Spencer didn't impress me when he was here, and he'll impress me even less once he returns from the NFL with a "meh, bored" attitude.  Now, if we lose Grant (doubt it) and we're desperate?  Ya, you can look at Spencer, but put him on a short leash.  BTW, how on earth would a "NFL-calibre" Spencer work out cheaper than Grant??  Better to just keep Grant.

You know who I think wouldn't suffer from this?  Strevie.  Bet he'd still have that fire.  But maybe the QB position is different from the WR position in this regard...
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on December 02, 2022, 02:06:03 PM
Walker went down to the NFL for a second time in 2017 and returned to the CFL just fine, so you could add him to that list.

No, Walker has looked like garbage for his salary.  As bad as Duke.  That's why I specifically named him.  No way any team, including EDM, pays Walker any sort of premium anymore.  Bet he changes teams or quits the CFL in FA.  Lawler made Walker look like a chump.  I'd rather have Bailey than Walker.  And remember how we were all drooling over Walker & Duke when they returned.  We dodged those bullets after learning our lesson with Matthews.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: dd on December 04, 2022, 12:39:58 AM

I thought Lawler was whisper $300k?  I don't recall anyone spilling the beans on Whitehead.  Maybe $200k?  I think Whitehead wanted to be there, he's a great fit.  I think he'll stay even if they lower his $$ a little.  It's good for both parties.

Eugene Lewis would be outstanding here.  But I don't see it happening.  He's easily $200k.  We're more likely to try to find another great new kid like Schoen on ELC.  Danny is the king of that.

My hope is that Schoen stays for another year, but I guess if he gets an NFL PR offer, he's gone.  :'(
Never go full Rider!

Jesse

I don?t see how. He?s up there in the top handful of receivers in the league. If he makes it to FA, multiple teams would be trying to outbid each other.

I think it starts at 225 for his talent and production and teams bid up from there.
My wife is amazing!

TecnoGenius

We (KW) seem to like the near-washed up FA vets we can get for a reasonable deal.  Nick Moore, Bowman, Matthews, Ellingson.

You might be able to fit Dressler in there too, but it turns out he had 2-3 good years left in the tank.

Ellingson was amazing early in the season, but his injury really killed the latter half and other than a great timing route in the GC, he didn't help in the post-season.

So the question is, what near-washed up FA vet is ripe for the KW-picking in this FA?  Do we give Ellingson another year, maybe at a slightly reduced $$?  I'd do it, and put him on the "Bowman and Matthews plan": you don't produce or are in the tub, then you get a map and an apple.  As for other FA people: I'd need to see the list, no one jumps to mind.
Never go full Rider!

Jesse

Quote from: TecnoGenius on December 04, 2022, 01:51:34 AM
We (KW) seem to like the near-washed up FA vets we can get for a reasonable deal.  Nick Moore, Bowman, Matthews, Ellingson.

You might be able to fit Dressler in there too, but it turns out he had 2-3 good years left in the tank.

Ellingson was amazing early in the season, but his injury really killed the latter half and other than a great timing route in the GC, he didn't help in the post-season.

So the question is, what near-washed up FA vet is ripe for the KW-picking in this FA?  Do we give Ellingson another year, maybe at a slightly reduced $$?  I'd do it, and put him on the "Bowman and Matthews plan": you don't produce or are in the tub, then you get a map and an apple.  As for other FA people: I'd need to see the list, no one jumps to mind.

We haven?t heard anything about Schoen yet. That?ll impact decisions.
My wife is amazing!

ModAdmin

Quote from: dd on December 04, 2022, 12:39:58 AM

Keep in mind both were healthy when they signed big contracts with BC and Edmonton.  Both suffered injuries and missed chunks of the season. Lewis had a stellar full season and was runner up league MOP.  Doubt Whitehead or Lawler would command those salaries next season.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

the paw

Quote from: Jesse on December 04, 2022, 01:45:02 AM
I don?t see how. He?s up there in the top handful of receivers in the league. If he makes it to FA, multiple teams would be trying to outbid each other.

I think it starts at 225 for his talent and production and teams bid up from there.

According to a very confusingly organized 3down article, Lewis got $170k in hard money last year, but his $25k signing bonus was against the 2021 cap.  So I read that as $195k total, so I think your estimate for this year is very close.

Lawler had $177k in hard money and a weird and massive roster bonus of $128k, putting total compensation at $305k.  I expect him to drop back to about $200k this year.

By way of comparison, Ellingson was at $165k which would have been a steal if he had played the whole season.  With that kind of budget we can compete for any free agent WR except the top 2 or 3.
grab grass 'n growl

Pigskin

Quote from: TecnoGenius on December 04, 2022, 01:30:56 AM
I said, and am thinking more the guys who actually play in the NFL, as in AR for a whole season.  Not guys who bounce around PRs and never get anywhere other than dressing as backups and just a few game reps (like Biggie).  And I don't mean guys that started in the NFL and then came here and didn't go back.  It's the process of being the CFL, leaving for your big NFL shot, then coming back to the CFL that seems to screw up some players' heads.

Or maybe it's only a more recent phenomena: Duke, Walker, Matthews.  Those guys actually made NFL ARs and were gone longer than the 1 year thing.  I have a funny feeling that if Zylstra returned, he'd suck too.  And maybe it's more a WR thing vs defense guys?

Bottom line: Spencer didn't impress me when he was here, and he'll impress me even less once he returns from the NFL with a "meh, bored" attitude.  Now, if we lose Grant (doubt it) and we're desperate?  Ya, you can look at Spencer, but put him on a short leash.  BTW, how on earth would a "NFL-calibre" Spencer work out cheaper than Grant??  Better to just keep Grant.

You know who I think wouldn't suffer from this?  Strevie.  Bet he'd still have that fire.  But maybe the QB position is different from the WR position in this regard...

Jamaal Westerman. 5 years in the NFL. In 47 games with the Bombers, 118 DTs, 32 Sacks.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

DM83

I don?t think the Bombers need any more receivers.
They are nit the best in the league but they block, run hard, and compliment each other,
We were still the best team in the league . We just lost the one game at the end! Lol!

I do think that those losing teams this year, Edmonton, Hamilton , Sask, Ottawa and Montreal will benefit from this last year.

Montreal seems set. Their defense looks great.  Harris revived his career, they are good,
Edmonton lost a couple of fluke games. Cornelius looked good in the hilite reel in TSN.
And the Bombers?   Can we defy the odds against massive injury, and be a force?