Head Coach Mike O'Shea signs three-year contract extension

Started by ModAdmin, December 08, 2022, 03:42:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ModAdmin

Head Coach Mike O'Shea signs three-year contract extension

WINNIPEG, MB., December 8, 2022 - The Winnipeg Blue Bombers today announce that head coach Mike O'Shea has signed a three-year contract extension which will have him continue to lead the football club through the 2025 Canadian Football League season.

A back-to-back winner of the Annis Stukus Trophy as the CFL's top coach in 2021 and 2022, O'Shea ranks third in career wins in Blue Bombers franchise history with 82, behind only Bud Grant (102) and Cal Murphy (86). He is currently the CFL's longest-serving head coach, having led the Blue Bombers for eight years since accepting the role in December of 2013.

The Blue Bombers are 82-58 under O'Shea since 2014 with two Grey Cup championships, three straight appearances in the championship game and six consecutive double-digit win seasons - matching a franchise-best stretch first established from 1957-62. Over the last two years, the club is 26-6, including a franchise-record 15 wins in 2022.

The Blue Bombers are continually one of the CFL's most disciplined teams and were the least-penalized team in 2022 for a fifth consecutive season. The defence ranked first in fewest points allowed and second in points scored in 2022.

The club has also had successive seasons with three players recognized for the CFL's highest individual awards, as quarterback Zach Collaros (Most Outstanding), left tackle Stanley Bryant (Most Outstanding Offensive Lineman), joined receiver Dalton Schoen (Most Outstanding Rookie) at the podium this year. In 2021, Collaros, Bryant and Adam Bighill (Most Outstanding Defensive Player) were also honoured.

O'Shea was named to the Canadian Football Hall of Fame in 2017 after a stellar playing career with the Toronto Argonauts and Hamilton Tiger-Cats that saw him be a part of three Grey Cup championship teams.

O'Shea played in 271 regular season CFL games, 18 playoff contests and three Grey Cups. The native of North Bay, Ontario, was a five-time Division All-Star (1994, 1995, 1997, 1999, 2000) and was named a CFL All-Star and the league's Most Outstanding Canadian in 1999. His first league-wide award came in 1993 when he was named the CFL's Most Outstanding Rookie Player.

He began his coaching career as the Special Teams Coordinator with the Toronto Argonauts in 2010 and served there through 2013 - winning a Grey Cup in 2012 - before being hired by the Blue Bombers.

O'Shea is an alumnus of the University of Guelph and is a member of the Guelph Gryphons Sports Hall of Fame. He and his wife Richere have three children: Michael, Ailish and Aisling.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

M.O.A.B.

I would like to think that before it's all said and done, O'Shea will end up as the winningest coach in the Bombers history.
He's only trailing Bud Grant (102) with 20 wins. Hopefully he would at least tie Bud on Grey Cup wins as well at 4.

Lincoln Locomotive

Quote from: M.O.A.B. on December 08, 2022, 03:45:39 PM
I would like to think that before it's all said and done, O'Shea will end up as the winningest coach in the Bombers history.
He's only trailing Bud Grant (102) with 20 wins. Hopefully he would at least tie Bud on Grey Cup wins as well at 4.
he most likely will have more wins than Bud Grant however to win 2 more cups in his remaining 3 seasons is a tall order.    I'd be thrilled if he leads them to one or two more though!   
Bomber fan for life

John T.

Quote from: Lincoln Locomotive on December 08, 2022, 04:49:15 PM
he most likely will have more wins than Bud Grant however to win 2 more cups in his remaining 3 seasons is a tall order.    I'd be thrilled if he leads them to one or two more though!   
I'm not sure than 2 more cups in 3 years is all that much of a tall order. Despite what happened last month, there remains no doubt that the Bombers are just better than the rest of the league right now, and likely will remain so for the short- to mid-term.

The Bombers, right now, have to be heavy favourites to win it all next year, even though we know that's no guarantee. What I'm getting at, I guess, is that two years from now if we're looking back at two straight Grey Cup wins again, it won't be the least bit surprising.

Blue In BC

Quote from: John T. on December 08, 2022, 05:29:46 PM
I'm not sure than 2 more cups in 3 years is all that much of a tall order. Despite what happened last month, there remains no doubt that the Bombers are just better than the rest of the league right now, and likely will remain so for the short- to mid-term.

The Bombers, right now, have to be heavy favourites to win it all next year, even though we know that's no guarantee. What I'm getting at, I guess, is that two years from now if we're looking back at two straight Grey Cup wins again, it won't be the least bit surprising.

Bombers have 22 potential free agents at the moment. What the team will look like in 2023 is all guess work at the moment. Same as every other teams. A couple of days ago there were 246 potential free agents.

Bombers have the MOP QB in Collaros so we know he'll be back. No doubt we get back a bunch of veterans but the gain / loss in free agency is up in the air.

I suspect fans in BC and Toronto are saying they will be heavy favourites in 2023. Both those teams may not even have their starting QB's back next year.

So the bluster is fine but it's really TBD. Hamilton expected to be back in the Grey Cup in 2022 as well.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

blue_gold_84

Glad it's finally confirmed. Although, it was never in doubt.

Love it. ;D
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

theaardvark

The Bombers have the fewest potential free agents, have their QB, MLB, and many other key players already signed, and have the best track record for reasonable retention of talent, as well as a n outstanding record for recruitment.

Having the HC back, and the OC now confirmed, the GM's job gets even easier.

Hoping Hall and the rest of the coaching crew start signing soon...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

drahgon

Blue In BC

Quote from: theaardvark on December 08, 2022, 05:57:49 PM
The Bombers have the fewest potential free agents, have their QB, MLB, and many other key players already signed, and have the best track record for reasonable retention of talent, as well as a n outstanding record for recruitment.

Having the HC back, and the OC now confirmed, the GM's job gets even easier.

Hoping Hall and the rest of the coaching crew start signing soon...

It's still 22 players as potential free agents. Least amount is irrelevant.  That includes 3 starting OL, our entire receiving corp and several key players on defence.

We'll probably get most back but nothing is guaranteed today.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Pigskin

Quote from: Blue In BC on December 08, 2022, 06:35:20 PM
It's still 22 players as potential free agents. Least amount is irrelevant.  That includes 3 starting OL, our entire receiving corp and several key players on defence.

We'll probably get most back but nothing is guaranteed today.

Not true on our receiving corp. Woli82, BOO, DS83. All signed for next season.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on December 08, 2022, 05:57:34 PM
Glad it's finally confirmed. Although, it was never in doubt.

Ya, anyone who thought it wasn't going to happen wasn't thinking straight, or doesn't know the team and MOS.

I wonder what the $$ was.  Have to keep KW, MOS, Buck and Hall all happy and stick within the cap.  Maybe it's not that hard.  They all seem to love their jobs.
Never go full Rider!

pjrocksmb

Nice the culture he created will go down as one of the most successful in CFL history