Dionte Spencer

Started by Blue In BC, December 01, 2022, 04:30:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue In BC

Released by the Jets today.

He's been discussed in the past about the possibility of returning to the CFL. I don't know that would be the case now, but it's an interesting thought. A returner / receiver type.

Hopefully we get Grant re-signed to a new deal.

However if Spencer does look back to the CFL, it might be worth at least a discussion with his agent. Chances of him returning would seem remote and his salary demand may exclude him. OTOH, he could fit one of those Nationalized Import spots if we in fact lose Grant. He had 259 receptions in 59 games and over 3K yards receiving.  He'd fit that idea on the table.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

Jesse

Seems like an unlikely signing, but obviously it's Walters' job to check in.
My wife is amazing!

Blue In BC

Quote from: Jesse on December 01, 2022, 04:44:34 PM
Seems like an unlikely signing, but obviously it's Walters' job to check in.

That's all I'm saying. It will be same as we see some other veterans released in both the NFL or CFL. DI's aren't usually paid much more than ELC's and tend to change a lot season to season.

It's catch 22. A veteran that has been successful and a long time starter may want to extend his career in a more limited role.

We haven't really seen that much in the past for either Canadians or Imports. Ratio, SMS and roster size all come into play.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

blue_gold_84

If Grant moves on, Spencer would be a great replacement option.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Jesse

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on December 01, 2022, 04:53:37 PM
If Grant moves on, Spencer would be a great replacement option.

Grant is definitely a question mark.

Took a long time to sign this past off-season and has certainly raised his profile this year.
My wife is amazing!

Blue In BC

Quote from: Jesse on December 01, 2022, 04:58:04 PM

Took a long time to sign this past off-season and has certainly raised his profile this year.

I think Grant was exploring his NFL options which didn't pan out. He may get more looks this off season but he's 29 and that normally lowers NFL interest.

IMO Grant re-signs in Winnipeg but it's certainly not guaranteed. He could still see some reps on offence but it wouldn't be a high %. 

Building the roster always has some trade offs. The returner is usually a receiver or DB option. Depending on which way he may serve as a back up sways the choices made for the rest of the DI's.

Holm is a DB/returner and good ST player. If we lose Grant he could fill multiple roles on his ELC.

That might change the choice to a veteran back up receiver as a DI. Not necessarily Spencer. Just showing that one decision can change the direction for another choice.

If we get Kongo back ( probably not ), that could eliminate an import DI as a DE. In 2021 it allowed the DI to be more of a DT choice.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

Pigskin

There a few good return guys out there in FA right now, including Dedmon.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Pigskin on December 01, 2022, 05:39:55 PM
There a few good return guys out there in FA right now, including Dedmon.

The free agent list just got published on CFL.CA. There are 246 potential free agents. Going to be some good players that move to other teams.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

Lincoln Locomotive

he sure did....with two return TDs in his last 2 games.....including a record breaking one in the Grey Cup game.   In most of his TD returns he often goes untouched as once he finds the seam he's gonzo
Bomber fan for life

Throw Long Bannatyne

I think Grant always wants to expand his portfolio beyond returns but that's unlikely to happen with the receiving corps. and the duties they perform here, decent chance they lose him.

theaardvark

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on December 01, 2022, 06:40:04 PM
I think Grant always wants to expand his portfolio beyond returns but that's unlikely to happen with the receiving corps. and the duties they perform here, decent chance they lose him.

Return guys are gold when you find them, and they aren't all that tough to find.  I love what Grant brings, and there is always a question about whether he can do what Lucky did, and doing so, increase his value/paycheck.

If he decides that is what he needs, that's up to him.  I am sure that Mr. Walters has given him his options, and Mr. O'Shea has expressed his place on the team.  If he decides that he wants more, I am confident that we will find a replacement for him.

Is Diontae Spencer that man?  Certainly is an intriguing option, for sure.  Again, would he be looking for a Lucky sized contract and role?  Would signing him be any different than signing Grant?

I guess we will see how this all plays out...

I trust Mr. Walters and Mr. O'Shea to make the best decisions for the team.  100%.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: theaardvark on December 01, 2022, 07:20:32 PM
Return guys are gold when you find them, and they aren't all that tough to find.  I love what Grant brings, and there is always a question about whether he can do what Lucky did, and doing so, increase his value/paycheck.

If he decides that is what he needs, that's up to him.  I am sure that Mr. Walters has given him his options, and Mr. O'Shea has expressed his place on the team.  If he decides that he wants more, I am confident that we will find a replacement for him.

Is Diontae Spencer that man?  Certainly is an intriguing option, for sure.  Again, would he be looking for a Lucky sized contract and role?  Would signing him be any different than signing Grant?

I guess we will see how this all plays out...

I trust Mr. Walters and Mr. O'Shea to make the best decisions for the team.  100%.

Devonte Dedmon is also a F.A., as are a number of excellent returners, the small shifty receiver just doesn't fit in well with the Bombers receiving concept, thus they let Whitehead go in place of a grinder like Bailey.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on December 01, 2022, 08:00:58 PM
Devonte Dedmon is also a F.A., as are a number of excellent returners, the small shifty receiver just doesn't fit in well with the Bombers receiving concept, thus they let Whitehead go in place of a grinder like Bailey.

Not exactly true. Whitehead left for an enormous pay day in Vancouver and a chance to start at receiver. If we had a 2020 season he might have had a better opportunity to see what more he could bring as a receiver.

It's a little silly to suggest the Bombers didn't / don't have a fit for a small shifty receiver. Whitehead is 1" shorter than Demski. He's not as heavy but he's probably faster. Many have argued that Whitehead is not a good receiver because he catches with his body.

Whitehead played in 2 more games than Demski but he had about 230 more yards than Demski. He had more receptions and a higher per catch average.

It's fair to question SMS, two small shifty receivers in the corps or ratio, but nothing really says he couldn't have fit if not for those other issues.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Blue In BC on December 01, 2022, 08:56:39 PM
Not exactly true. Whitehead left for an enormous pay day in Vancouver and a chance to start at receiver. If we had a 2020 season he might have had a better opportunity to see what more he could bring as a receiver.

It's a little silly to suggest the Bombers didn't / don't have a fit for a small shifty receiver. Whitehead is 1" shorter than Demski. He's not as heavy but he's probably faster. Many have argued that Whitehead is not a good receiver because he catches with his body.

Whitehead played in 2 more games than Demski but he had about 230 more yards than Demski. He had more receptions and a higher per catch average.

It's fair to question SMS, two small shifty receivers in the corps or ratio, but nothing really says he couldn't have fit if not for those other issues.

Both Whitehead and Darvin have said Walters did not make them a contract offer after the 2019 season, they moved on from Lucky because they already had Grant and Bailey. 

Can't really compare Whitehead to Demski, they are totally different players. Nick is a running back that can block, catch and break tackles and according to Collaros, he's the best route runner he's ever played with.  Lucky is like a Swiss Army knife with only one blade, he can run fast. 

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on December 01, 2022, 09:15:05 PM
Both Whitehead and Darvin have said Walters did not make them a contract offer after the 2019 season, they moved on from Lucky because they already had Grant and Bailey. 

Can't really compare Whitehead to Demski, they are totally different players. Nick is a running back that can block, catch and break tackles and according to Collaros, he's the best route runner he's ever played with.  Lucky is like a Swiss Army knife with only one blade, he can run fast. 

Adams? He signed a three-year contract on Feb. 9, 2020 (https://www.bluebombers.com/2020/02/09/bombers-sign-receiver-darvin-adams-three-year-extension/), which I believe was voided after the 2020 season was cancelled.

I can't recall how it was reworked but he signed a one-year contract prior to the 2021 season. It was this past off-season where he wasn't tendered a new contract by the Bombers prior to free agency. He then signed with the RedBlacks.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.