Any word on M Couture or B Alexander

Started by Tiger, August 30, 2022, 02:58:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue In BC

Quote from: LXTSN on August 31, 2022, 05:25:53 PM
I disagree. I think with players like Couture and Alexander, you are only playing them if they are ready to play. We are 10-1 so I don't think they should be willing to risk coming back to early to back up another position. They come back only to start and only when they are 100%.

Being healthy is not the same as being game ready conditioned. If they are practising with full pads, that would suggest they are healthy.

So I understand your point and agree but that might not be the current reality. Even if practice reports for this weeks shows " limited " that still suggests they are candidates to be activated.

At the moment we don't need an OL although Neufeld has been nicked all year.

OTOH, if Houston is out that is a specific need. That's true even if Holm takes Houston's spot at CB. We have the ability to to start Alexander at safety.

Will watch to see what the daily reports look like. Question 1 is Houston practising at all.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Blue In BC

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on August 31, 2022, 05:30:56 PM
Perhaps back for the Banjo Bowl, though.

More probable than this week but not impossible either. We added Machino last week and he was hardly on the field.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

TBURGESS

Great news that the guys are back in pads!
Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.

LXTSN

Quote from: Blue In BC on August 31, 2022, 05:32:54 PM
Being healthy is not the same as being game ready conditioned. If they are practising with full pads, that would suggest they are healthy.

So I understand your point and agree but that might not be the current reality. Even if practice reports for this weeks shows " limited " that still suggests they are candidates to be activated.

At the moment we don't need an OL although Neufeld has been nicked all year.

OTOH, if Houston is out that is a specific need. That's true even if Holm takes Houston's spot at CB. We have the ability to to start Alexander at safety.

Will watch to see what the daily reports look like. Question 1 is Houston practising at all.
I think we are mostly saying the same thing. I don't think either of them are ready to jump into a game situation.
I would not want to see Alexander back there as an emergency option. If they don't think he's ready to start, he shouldn't be on the active roster. I'd hate for him to come into the game not ready because someone got hurt.

Blue In BC

Quote from: LXTSN on August 31, 2022, 05:56:21 PM
I think we are mostly saying the same thing. I don't think either of them are ready to jump into a game situation.
I would not want to see Alexander back there as an emergency option. If they don't think he's ready to start, he shouldn't be on the active roster. I'd hate for him to come into the game not ready because someone got hurt.

Being ready to start is getting your timing down right and even your mental preparation. As I suggested that has nothing to do with actually being healthy or putting a player at further risk.

Realistically most players already on our AR have some sort of " injury " " bumps and bruises ". It's the nature of a physical sport.

So potentially being activated for spot duty or injury depth is reasonable IMO if they manage this weeks' practice with no ill effects.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

NewBlue

Agree that there is no point in them dressing up as a backup.
Its start or sit for them

Blue In BC

Quote from: NewBlue on August 31, 2022, 06:02:07 PM
Agree that there is no point in them dressing up as a backup.
Its start or sit for them

That's not really the way it works. There is a point.  The team dresses the players that best give them the chance to win.

If we have an in game injury on the OL would you rather see Dobson start or Couture?

If we have an in game injury in the secondary would you rather see Holm start of Alexander? Keeping in mind that Parker is already likely replacing Houston this week.

Which of those choices on the roster give your team the best chance to win from starters through depth?

Part of that might be determined by whether those two are practising with the # 1 teams.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

NewBlue

If they are not healthy enough to start, then they don't play. Simple.

If your point is that they are healthy enough, but cardio not there, then they still start but get spelled often.

M.O.A.B.

I'm guessing...

Out: DB Houston (6-game), DB Rene* (6-game), OL Machino (PR)
In: DB Holm, DB Kramdi*, WR Oleary-Orange*

We'll probably see Alexander and Couture at Banjo Bowl, the earliest

Pigskin

If Couture and Alexander are healthy and ready to go dress them both. Couldn't have two better backups. Nothing like game reps.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Blue In BC

Quote from: NewBlue on August 31, 2022, 06:15:40 PM
If they are not healthy enough to start, then they don't play. Simple.

If your point is that they are healthy enough, but cardio not there, then they still start but get spelled often.

Augustine hasn't practised much in weeks. He's not 100% and he's been the back up. He got his 1st action last game when Oliveria got nicked. Jeffcoat, Miller and lots of players have been " DNP" or " limited " for many practices recently.  It's a question of lesser of two evils.

It's not just cardio. Alexander hasn't played in 8 months. Footwork, timing and game readiness a little 1st week in TC. Work to be done.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Blue In BC

Quote from: M.O.A.B. on August 31, 2022, 06:42:44 PM
I'm guessing...

Out: DB Houston (6-game), DB Rene* (6-game), OL Machino (PR)
In: DB Holm, DB Kramdi*, WR Oleary-Orange*

We'll probably see Alexander and Couture at Banjo Bowl, the earliest

That's what I expect at the moment aside from not knowing if Houston is 1 game or 6 game IR.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

LXTSN

Quote from: Blue In BC on August 31, 2022, 06:11:03 PM
That's not really the way it works. There is a point.  The team dresses the players that best give them the chance to win.

If we have an in game injury on the OL would you rather see Dobson start or Couture?

If we have an in game injury in the secondary would you rather see Holm start of Alexander? Keeping in mind that Parker is already likely replacing Houston this week.

Which of those choices on the roster give your team the best chance to win from starters through depth?

Part of that might be determined by whether those two are practising with the # 1 teams.

My answer to these would be: If they aren't ready to start I'd have Holm or Dobson sub in rather than throw Alexander or Couture in there.
Risk to reward is just not worth it. Let them rest one more week and focus on the next one where they would start.

M.O.A.B.

Thompson was a full participant in practice today too. Although he still need a week to complete his stint on the 6-game before he comes back.

M.O.A.B.

Quote from: Blue In BC on August 31, 2022, 08:30:31 PM
That's what I expect at the moment aside from not knowing if Houston is 1 game or 6 game IR.

I will correct myself.

If my math is correct, Alexander have completed his 2nd 6-gamer. So he will be either at 1-gamer or might be in the line-up.

Couture started his 2nd 6-gamer on Aug3 so he still need a few weeks. But if he is practicing now, maybe they are pulling him early?