Any word on M Couture or B Alexander

Started by Tiger, August 30, 2022, 02:58:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiger

I have not heard anything lately.  Will they be back this season?
Football is easy if you're crazy as hell
Bo Jackson

We are inclined to think that if we watch a football game or a baseball game, we have taken part in it
John Fitzgerald Kennedy

BC Sucks
Tiger

Pigskin

Why would Couture not be back this year?
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Jesse

Quote from: Pigskin on August 30, 2022, 03:11:11 AM
Why would Couture not be back this year?

Since we?re told nothing, and he hasn?t started practicing, it?s as likely as it is not.
My wife is amazing!

TecnoGenius

I have less of an idea what's going on with injuries this season than in any previous one!  And that's saying something.  The team is totally opaque on injuries.  We have no clue what's going on.

Kind of sad for us, but it's part of MOS' winning ways.  Don't give away anything to the enemy.
Never go full Rider!

Pigskin

Both of these players injuries have been well documented. Couture broke a bone in his arm and is out of his cast and in a soft brace. According to Doug Brown he could be back real soon. There have been a number of reports about BA37, and his injury and recovery. Last report I heard BA37 is working out. How close is he to returning to the lineup???

DM83

Geez give these guys a break, no pun intended.  Knee injuries are rediculously individually when healing. Soft tissue injuries don't seem that significant, but again, guys heal at different speeds.

I want them back also, but football is a crazy brutal game. I mean why do you think golf is so popular?

blueandgoldguy

Before the beginning of the season, it was reported that Brandon Alexander would miss half the season.  I guess those reports were overly optimistic as we are over halfway through the season and there is still no word as to when he will return.  Disappointing as I really wanted to see him back for the back-to-back vs. the Riders.  Hopefully it's no more than a couple weeks from now.

Couture was originally thought to be out for 6 weeks, but it's been 10 weeks I think.  He might not be back until after the second bye so we will probably be missing him for the next 3 games.  Again, that's another one I would like to have back this week against a tough Rider front-7.

theaardvark

We are 10-1, and might add Couture and Dejarlais to our Oline for the playoffs? 

Yikes
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Blue In BC

Quote from: LXTSN on August 31, 2022, 05:18:17 PM
Alexander, and Couture in full pads!

Good to hear. Other injuries might suggest they get activated as emergency back ups. They won't be in game shape for awhile.

Every week it's a question about who is coming off of IR and who is going on. Lots of injuries in 2022.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

LXTSN

Quote from: Blue In BC on August 31, 2022, 05:21:40 PM
Good to hear. Other injuries might suggest they get activated as emergency back ups. They won't be in game shape for awhile.

Every week it's a question about who is coming off of IR and who is going on. Lots of injuries in 2022.
I disagree. I think with players like Couture and Alexander, you are only playing them if they are ready to play. We are 10-1 so I don't think they should be willing to risk coming back to early to back up another position. They come back only to start and only when they are 100%.

NewBlue

This is great news, just sucks its unlikely they dress for Sunday!

blue_gold_84

Quote from: NewBlue on August 31, 2022, 05:29:29 PM
This is great news, just sucks its unlikely they dress for Sunday!

Perhaps back for the Banjo Bowl, though.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Blue In BC

Quote from: LXTSN on August 31, 2022, 05:25:53 PM
I disagree. I think with players like Couture and Alexander, you are only playing them if they are ready to play. We are 10-1 so I don't think they should be willing to risk coming back to early to back up another position. They come back only to start and only when they are 100%.

Being healthy is not the same as being game ready conditioned. If they are practising with full pads, that would suggest they are healthy.

So I understand your point and agree but that might not be the current reality. Even if practice reports for this weeks shows " limited " that still suggests they are candidates to be activated.

At the moment we don't need an OL although Neufeld has been nicked all year.

OTOH, if Houston is out that is a specific need. That's true even if Holm takes Houston's spot at CB. We have the ability to to start Alexander at safety.

Will watch to see what the daily reports look like. Question 1 is Houston practising at all.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Blue In BC

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on August 31, 2022, 05:30:56 PM
Perhaps back for the Banjo Bowl, though.

More probable than this week but not impossible either. We added Machino last week and he was hardly on the field.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

TBURGESS

Great news that the guys are back in pads!
Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.

LXTSN

Quote from: Blue In BC on August 31, 2022, 05:32:54 PM
Being healthy is not the same as being game ready conditioned. If they are practising with full pads, that would suggest they are healthy.

So I understand your point and agree but that might not be the current reality. Even if practice reports for this weeks shows " limited " that still suggests they are candidates to be activated.

At the moment we don't need an OL although Neufeld has been nicked all year.

OTOH, if Houston is out that is a specific need. That's true even if Holm takes Houston's spot at CB. We have the ability to to start Alexander at safety.

Will watch to see what the daily reports look like. Question 1 is Houston practising at all.
I think we are mostly saying the same thing. I don't think either of them are ready to jump into a game situation.
I would not want to see Alexander back there as an emergency option. If they don't think he's ready to start, he shouldn't be on the active roster. I'd hate for him to come into the game not ready because someone got hurt.

Blue In BC

Quote from: LXTSN on August 31, 2022, 05:56:21 PM
I think we are mostly saying the same thing. I don't think either of them are ready to jump into a game situation.
I would not want to see Alexander back there as an emergency option. If they don't think he's ready to start, he shouldn't be on the active roster. I'd hate for him to come into the game not ready because someone got hurt.

Being ready to start is getting your timing down right and even your mental preparation. As I suggested that has nothing to do with actually being healthy or putting a player at further risk.

Realistically most players already on our AR have some sort of " injury " " bumps and bruises ". It's the nature of a physical sport.

So potentially being activated for spot duty or injury depth is reasonable IMO if they manage this weeks' practice with no ill effects.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

NewBlue

Agree that there is no point in them dressing up as a backup.
Its start or sit for them

Blue In BC

Quote from: NewBlue on August 31, 2022, 06:02:07 PM
Agree that there is no point in them dressing up as a backup.
Its start or sit for them

That's not really the way it works. There is a point.  The team dresses the players that best give them the chance to win.

If we have an in game injury on the OL would you rather see Dobson start or Couture?

If we have an in game injury in the secondary would you rather see Holm start of Alexander? Keeping in mind that Parker is already likely replacing Houston this week.

Which of those choices on the roster give your team the best chance to win from starters through depth?

Part of that might be determined by whether those two are practising with the # 1 teams.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

NewBlue

If they are not healthy enough to start, then they don't play. Simple.

If your point is that they are healthy enough, but cardio not there, then they still start but get spelled often.

M.O.A.B.

I'm guessing...

Out: DB Houston (6-game), DB Rene* (6-game), OL Machino (PR)
In: DB Holm, DB Kramdi*, WR Oleary-Orange*

We'll probably see Alexander and Couture at Banjo Bowl, the earliest

Pigskin

If Couture and Alexander are healthy and ready to go dress them both. Couldn't have two better backups. Nothing like game reps.

Blue In BC

Quote from: NewBlue on August 31, 2022, 06:15:40 PM
If they are not healthy enough to start, then they don't play. Simple.

If your point is that they are healthy enough, but cardio not there, then they still start but get spelled often.

Augustine hasn't practised much in weeks. He's not 100% and he's been the back up. He got his 1st action last game when Oliveria got nicked. Jeffcoat, Miller and lots of players have been " DNP" or " limited " for many practices recently.  It's a question of lesser of two evils.

It's not just cardio. Alexander hasn't played in 8 months. Footwork, timing and game readiness a little 1st week in TC. Work to be done.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Blue In BC

Quote from: M.O.A.B. on August 31, 2022, 06:42:44 PM
I'm guessing...

Out: DB Houston (6-game), DB Rene* (6-game), OL Machino (PR)
In: DB Holm, DB Kramdi*, WR Oleary-Orange*

We'll probably see Alexander and Couture at Banjo Bowl, the earliest

That's what I expect at the moment aside from not knowing if Houston is 1 game or 6 game IR.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

LXTSN

Quote from: Blue In BC on August 31, 2022, 06:11:03 PM
That's not really the way it works. There is a point.  The team dresses the players that best give them the chance to win.

If we have an in game injury on the OL would you rather see Dobson start or Couture?

If we have an in game injury in the secondary would you rather see Holm start of Alexander? Keeping in mind that Parker is already likely replacing Houston this week.

Which of those choices on the roster give your team the best chance to win from starters through depth?

Part of that might be determined by whether those two are practising with the # 1 teams.

My answer to these would be: If they aren't ready to start I'd have Holm or Dobson sub in rather than throw Alexander or Couture in there.
Risk to reward is just not worth it. Let them rest one more week and focus on the next one where they would start.

M.O.A.B.

Thompson was a full participant in practice today too. Although he still need a week to complete his stint on the 6-game before he comes back.

M.O.A.B.

Quote from: Blue In BC on August 31, 2022, 08:30:31 PM
That's what I expect at the moment aside from not knowing if Houston is 1 game or 6 game IR.

I will correct myself.

If my math is correct, Alexander have completed his 2nd 6-gamer. So he will be either at 1-gamer or might be in the line-up.

Couture started his 2nd 6-gamer on Aug3 so he still need a few weeks. But if he is practicing now, maybe they are pulling him early?

Blue In BC

Quote from: LXTSN on August 31, 2022, 08:40:09 PM
My answer to these would be: If they aren't ready to start I'd have Holm or Dobson sub in rather than throw Alexander or Couture in there.
Risk to reward is just not worth it. Let them rest one more week and focus on the next one where they would start.

Do you pay any attention to daily IR reports before each game. Today's shows Neufeld, Jeffcoat, Bighill, Miller and Clements as " DNP " or " Limited ". Do you really expect most of those players to not play this week?

Couture is listed as " full " but even that is no guarantee he gets added this week or starts if he gets added. Kramdi and Thompson also shown as " full ".

Definition of healthy is a broad statement. Generally it means as not likely going to further cause damage but not necessarily be 100%.

Like I said Miller has been " DNP " for most of the season and he plays every game. Neufeld has been dealing with an arm injury for weeks and wears a brace.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Blue In BC

Quote from: M.O.A.B. on August 31, 2022, 09:27:14 PM
I will correct myself.

If my math is correct, Alexander have completed his 2nd 6-gamer. So he will be either at 1-gamer or might be in the line-up.

Couture started his 2nd 6-gamer on Aug3 so he still need a few weeks. But if he is practicing now, maybe they are pulling him early?

We've only played 11 games so he hasn't completed his 2nd stint. However there was a rule about players extended on the 6 game IR coming off early and not counting against SMS. It's less than the full 6 but more than 4 I think.

Couture practised as " full " today and he's missed 9 games. That might mean he can practise this week but is not eligible to come off without an SMS hit.

There was nothing about Alexander on the daily IR report but we heard he was in pads?

It's never been clear about the extensions and SMS.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

Tiger

Bo Jackson

We are inclined to think that if we watch a football game or a baseball game, we have taken part in it
John Fitzgerald Kennedy

BC Sucks
Tiger

M.O.A.B.

Quote from: Blue In BC on August 31, 2022, 09:40:14 PM
We've only played 11 games so he hasn't completed his 2nd stint. However there was a rule about players extended on the 6 game IR coming off early and not counting against SMS. It's less than the full 6 but more than 4 I think.

Couture practised as " full " today and he's missed 9 games. That might mean he can practise this week but is not eligible to come off without an SMS hit.

There was nothing about Alexander on the daily IR report but we heard he was in pads?

It's never been clear about the extensions and SMS.

So the bye week doesn't count, I guess.

pjrocksmb

When our aces comes back nobody can touch us

M.O.A.B.

Couture is activated replacing Machino. Holm on active as well.

Jesse

Quote from: Blue In BC on August 31, 2022, 09:33:54 PM
Do you pay any attention to daily IR reports before each game. Today's shows Neufeld, Jeffcoat, Bighill, Miller and Clements as " DNP " or " Limited ". Do you really expect most of those players to not play this week?

Couture is listed as " full " but even that is no guarantee he gets added this week or starts if he gets added. Kramdi and Thompson also shown as " full ".

Definition of healthy is a broad statement. Generally it means as not likely going to further cause damage but not necessarily be 100%.

Like I said Miller has been " DNP " for most of the season and he plays every game. Neufeld has been dealing with an arm injury for weeks and wears a brace.

Of course not. They don't mean a thing.
My wife is amazing!

Blue In BC

Quote from: Jesse on August 31, 2022, 11:14:12 PM
Of course not. They don't mean a thing.

They indicate many players are at less than 100% but will still start games. So it means something.

Couture and Holm added to active roster. That answers the question about whether Alexander is back this week ( he's not ).  Those were pretty conclusive quick decisions.

Now we'll see if Couture starts immediately.

Still might see some back ups make the game day roster: O'Leary-Orange, Hallett and Kramdi for example. Wouldn't mind seeing Thompson come back early but wasn't really expecting that yet.

Todays changes took 3 players off the AR but only added 2. More to follow I suppose.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

Jesse

Quote from: Blue In BC on September 01, 2022, 12:07:26 AM
They indicate many players are at less than 100% but will still start games. So it means something.

Couture and Holm added to active roster. That answers the question about whether Alexander is back this week ( he's not ).  Those were pretty conclusive quick decisions.

Now we'll see if Couture starts immediately.

Still might see some back ups make the game day roster: O'Leary-Orange, Hallett and Kramdi for example. Wouldn't mind seeing Thompson come back early but wasn't really expecting that yet.

Todays changes took 3 players off the AR but only added 2. More to follow I suppose.

Every player is less than 100%

vets can get away with not practicing. Ellingson has practiced and not played. Demski has not practiced and played.

The only thing it means is the CFL forces them to put something out.
My wife is amazing!

LXTSN

Quote from: Blue In BC on August 31, 2022, 09:33:54 PM

Are you expecting any of these players to play a back up role?
My point is mainly for Alexander. When he is ready and confident in his leg, he will start. It's more of a mindset issue than anything. No point in having him 80% and in a backup role where he might play. I'd rather put bench players in that role than throwing Alexander in before he knows he's ready

Blue In BC

Quote from: LXTSN on September 01, 2022, 04:12:22 PM
My point is mainly for Alexander. When he is ready and confident in his leg, he will start. It's more of a mindset issue than anything. No point in having him 80% and in a backup role where he might play. I'd rather put bench players in that role than throwing Alexander in before he knows he's ready

No I don't expect any of those players to be playing a back up role.

That's not the same as a player that has not played a game since last December. Playing nursing various nicks and bruises during the season is expected.

You can't expect a player that is necessarily healthy to be as game ready and could / should be eased back into a starting role. One because he's recovering from a very serious injury rather than the bumps and bruises most players experience during the season.

Two because as I've said game conditioning readiness rather than healthy are different situations.  You already mentioned mindset. That isn't something that will be 100% the moment he's healthy which is my point.

Players always think they are completely ready to play. A player could almost be on crutches on the sidelines telling the coaches to put him in. That's an exaggeration but it's also not far from the truth.

Anyway. We agree to disagree I wouldn't rule out either situation of him being a back up in his 1st game in 2022 or being made the starter.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Pigskin

Quote from: LXTSN on September 01, 2022, 04:12:22 PM

I expect them both to be in backup roles to start the game if there playing. Practice speed and game speeeeeed are to different things. Giving Couture some playing time each quarter. BA37 will probably play teams for the first game he is back. Maybe a few plays on D if required.

bwiser

Its great to see Couture likely returning to the lineup this week and Alexander likely back for the Banjo Bowl. If the Bombers can get Desjarlais back and Ellingson back in the lineup soon the Bombers are going to be really tough to beat.

TBURGESS

@Ted_Wyman Don?t see Brandon Alexander on the field today with #Bombers after he returned to practice yesterday. Has been out all season and is working his way back.
Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.

Lincoln Locomotive

Quote from: Blue In BC on September 01, 2022, 04:23:39 PM
No I don't expect any of those players to be playing a back up role.

That's not the same as a player that has not played a game since last December. Playing nursing various nicks and bruises during the season is expected.

You can't expect a player that is necessarily healthy to be as game ready and could / should be eased back into a starting role. One because he's recovering from a very serious injury rather than the bumps and bruises most players experience during the season.

Two because as I've said game conditioning readiness rather than healthy are different situations.  You already mentioned mindset. That isn't something that will be 100% the moment he's healthy which is my point.

Players always think they are completely ready to play. A player could almost be on crutches on the sidelines telling the coaches to put him in. That's an exaggeration but it's also not far from the truth.

Anyway. We agree to disagree I wouldn't rule out either situation of him being a back up in his 1st game in 2022 or being made the starter.
Makes good sense to ease these guys in as game shape and rust are huge factors.   
Bomber fan for life

BLUEBOMBER

Would be nice to see Alexander back but only if he is totally healthy. Hallett has stepped in nicely for him and is showing improvements every game. The interaction today sealed the game for us.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: BLUEBOMBER on September 05, 2022, 02:07:20 AM
Would be nice to see Alexander back but only if he is totally healthy. Hallett has stepped in nicely for him and is showing improvements every game. The interaction today sealed the game for us.

I didn't notice Thompson out there, did he play at all?

Blue In BC

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on September 05, 2022, 03:36:58 PM
I didn't notice Thompson out there, did he play at all?

He was on ST's a few times. Didn't see him on defence at all. Getting into game shape and eased in probably. Hallett is playing well so no need to rush him back as a starter. The question is will Alexander be ready next week and who starts of the 3 safeties?
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Pigskin

BA37 will probably go though the same process. Teams for the first game or two. There a big difference between game speed and practice.

Pete

With the number of achilles tendon issues, is there no added orotection available? Seems to me its costing a lot of atheletes careers

theaardvark

Quote from: Pete on September 05, 2022, 06:25:21 PM
With the number of achilles tendon issues, is there no added orotection available? Seems to me its costing a lot of atheletes careers

There are lots of support and protection devices for any body part, but as you protect, you reduce mobility.  Oline have knee braces and spats, but they aren't trying to make cuts or go fast. 
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Pete

There has to come a point where the tradeoff is worth it...it may be just getiing used to it. In hockey they were getting broken foot bones and teams made it mandatory for skate guards. Especially for linebackers

DM83

There is no such thing as an Achilles protection pad, as far as I know stretching reduces the severity of the dynamics of the action, but if is in a compromising position it apparently just snaps.

bwiser

Quote from: Blue In BC on September 05, 2022, 06:17:33 PM
He was on ST's a few times. Didn't see him on defence at all. Getting into game shape and eased in probably. Hallett is playing well so no need to rush him back as a starter. The question is will Alexander be ready next week and who starts of the 3 safeties?
I think that the Bombers could put Alexander in as another position other than safety. Parker is inexperienced and could be the odd man out.

M.O.A.B.

Quote from: bwiser on September 07, 2022, 02:28:24 PM
I think that the Bombers could put Alexander in as another position other than safety. Parker is inexperienced and could be the odd man out.

Actually Holm could be the odd-man out. Parker played well last game, from what I've heard.

LXTSN

Quote from: M.O.A.B. on September 07, 2022, 02:32:03 PM
Actually Holm could be the odd-man out. Parker played well last game, from what I've heard.
I would take Holm out before Parker. I think Parker has game, but I'd like to see him play up a little closer to the line of scrimmage. Seemed to get burned by Moore quite a bit on underneath routes, but he did make really quick tackles in the last 2 games.

Lincoln Locomotive

Quote from: DM83 on September 06, 2022, 12:14:18 AM
There is no such thing as an Achilles protection pad, as far as I know stretching reduces the severity of the dynamics of the action, but if is in a compromising position it apparently just snaps.
After reading through several medical journals about various sports injuries it's apparent that the Achilles' tendon is the strongest tendon in the human body and subsequently gets the most wear and tear of any tendon as well.   Today's athletes have tremendously strong musculatures and exert enormous pressure on it on a continual basis.   Apparently the repetitive stresses can accumulate with the type of extreme exertion until the tendon can be weakened to the point of snapping.    It's also a difficult injury to fully recover from as well and thus has ended many a sports career.    
Bomber fan for life

northof30

bwiser

Quote from: M.O.A.B. on September 07, 2022, 02:32:03 PM
I think that Parker has held his own as well but he has the least experience of any player in the secondary. Holm did a good job on returns but I think Grant will be back soon and will resume his position.

Jesse

Quote from: northof30 on September 07, 2022, 05:28:17 PM
Is Ellingson out for the season?

He's on the 6-game, so seemingly out for the regular season.

We'll see if he starts paracticing in time for play-offs.
My wife is amazing!

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Jesse on September 07, 2022, 06:37:37 PM

Hope not, that would be bad.  He started off great, had a huge game against the Elks, then gone.

Pigskin

GE2 has missed two game, so he should be able to return for October 15th against BC????

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Pigskin on September 07, 2022, 06:58:01 PM
GE2 has missed two game, so he should be able to return for October 15th against BC????

He's missed a lot more than 2 games, don't know how many, but a lot.

Pigskin

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on September 07, 2022, 07:12:00 PM
He's missed a lot more than 2 games, don't know how many, but a lot.

Since he came back? He played in week 10, week 11 was a bye, missed weeks 12 and 13.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Apparently Couture and Alexander are practicing today.  Also Drew Brown working with the first team, maybe Marino's hit on Collaros did more damage than some thought.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Pigskin on September 07, 2022, 07:30:36 PM
Since he came back? He played in week 10, week 11 was a bye, missed weeks 12 and 13.

I can't keep track, it seems like Ellingson has been gone for an eternity.

pjrocksmb

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on September 07, 2022, 07:34:29 PM
Apparently Couture and Alexander are practicing today.  Also Drew Brown working with the first team, maybe Marino's hit on Collaros did more damage than some thought.
o no

Throw Long Bannatyne

I think I interpreted that wrong, no mention Collaros is not practicing.

northof30

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on September 07, 2022, 07:35:35 PM
I can't keep track, it seems like Ellingson has been gone for an eternity.

I think Ellingson has now missed 7 games in a row.

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: northof30 on September 08, 2022, 12:57:37 AM
I think Ellingson has now missed 7 games in a row.

He played August 11 against Montreal (3 catches for 54 yards) and then got hurt in practice following the bye.

GOLDMEMBER

Where the heck did anyone say Zach did not practise with first team today?

No mention on CJOB no mention in media outlets no mention on social media where the friggin hell was this mentioned Bannatyne other than your flapper?
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

Tiger

Quote from: Jesse on September 07, 2022, 06:37:37 PM

Bo Jackson

John Fitzgerald Kennedy

BC Sucks
Tiger