The Chris Streveler Watch

Started by M.O.A.B., May 18, 2022, 07:14:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Pete on December 08, 2022, 08:26:29 PM
Which is the definition of failure "the fact of someone or something not succeeding"
For example while Streveler can be proud of his accomplishments  in getting to the level hes at, I dont think it qualifies as being a successful nfl quarterback 

Every CFL QB could fall under the category of failing to be "a successful nfl quarterback".  It's the highest level, very few crack it, just because a player is not able to compete at the highest level of their sport, it doesn't make them a failure.

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Pete on December 08, 2022, 08:26:29 PM
Which is the definition of failure "the fact of someone or something not succeeding"
For example while Streveler can be proud of his accomplishments  in getting to the level hes at, I dont think it qualifies as being a successful nfl quarterback 

He is literally a QB playing in the NFL. How does that make him a failure?

Pretty hard and unreasonable criticism.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Pigskin

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on December 08, 2022, 09:05:04 PM
He is literally a QB playing in the NFL. How does that make him a failure?

Pretty hard and unreasonable criticism.

Agree. He has been in the NFL for 3 seasons now. That's 3 seasons more than most people thought he would last.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Pete

Of course overall he's not a failure..It's only in terms of the goal of being active qb in the NFL.Hes done very well given his skillset

pjrocksmb

Quote from: Pete on December 08, 2022, 10:25:08 PM
Of course overall he's not a failure..It's only in terms of the goal of being active qb in the NFL.Hes done very well given his skillset
He made it to the big show, played and will likely have a decent pension.  You are overstating the negative here.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: theaardvark on December 08, 2022, 05:11:41 PM
Being a CFL active roster backup QB (still don't think anyone would give Streveler the keys to a team right now) who gets packages and short yardage means you are on field in live situations, but its the CFL.   Its just not the same...

I wouldn't be so sure.  Especially if MBT leaves, there's a really bad dearth of decent QBs in the CFL.  So many teams looking to upgrade.  Strevie is a proven, known quantity, who probably has only improved since going south.

I'd hire & start Strevie today over the list of potential staters:
Fajardo
Corny
D.Evans
Kelly
T.Harris (the only one I'd consider a toss-up)

... and that's not even to mention the other/backup QBs...

You don't think GMs aren't thinking the same?
Never go full Rider!

J5V

Chris Streveler is a great ball player because he makes everyone around him better and other players love the man! I'm hoping we roll out the red carpet for the guy.
Go Bombers!

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: TecnoGenius on December 08, 2022, 10:41:33 PM
I wouldn't be so sure.  Especially if MBT leaves, there's a really bad dearth of decent QBs in the CFL.  So many teams looking to upgrade.  Strevie is a proven, known quantity, who probably has only improved since going south.

Fajardo
Corny
D.Evans
Kelly

I certainly tend to agree. Is he happy playing in preseason and practice rosters the rest of his career or come up here and be a starter on a quality team?

He just won?t crack an active roster down there at this point.
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

LXTSN

Quote from: TecnoGenius on December 08, 2022, 10:41:33 PM

Fajardo
Corny
D.Evans
Kelly

In my opinion he is the perfect second QB to mix in, but as a starter, I don't think he will be better than probably half of that list.

Let's take a peek at some stats.

Chris Streveler started in 7 games from September 1st until October 19th. In this time, these are his averages:
>20 completions on 28.7 attempts for 199 yards per game (that's 6.9 yards per attempt)
>1 TD to 1.6 interceptions
>10.6 rushing attempts for 65 yards per game + 6 TDs

You put Dane Evans on this list and although he has been shakey at times this year, his OL sure hasn't helped him much.

These stats are through his last 5 games of this year that he started and finished:
>18.2 completions per 27.8 attempts for 258.6 yards (9.3 yards per attempt)
>1.2 TD to 0.6 interceptions
>4.6 rushes for 11.2 yards per game + 4 TDs

I LOVE Streveler! Buuutttttt........ I don't think he will push your team over the edge from early exit in the playoffs to Grey Cup contenders.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: LXTSN on December 09, 2022, 02:36:39 PM
These stats are through his last 5 games of this year that he started and finished:
>18.2 completions per 27.8 attempts for 258.6 yards (9.3 yards per attempt)
>1.2 TD to 0.6 interceptions
>4.6 rushes for 11.2 yards per game + 4 TDs

I LOVE Streveler! Buuutttttt........ I don't think he will push your team over the edge from early exit in the playoffs to Grey Cup contenders.

The stats don't tell it all.

a) One would believe Strevie has learned a ton in the NFL and improved greatly.  I wouldn't take his (mostly) embarrassing regular-season reps in the NFL as indicating anything -- playing against NFL D's is a lot different from playing against CFL D's.

b) Most people know what they'll get out of that QB list I provided.  Well, except Kelly because he's new.  And maybe Corny will keep improving.  But the rest you pretty much know you won't make the GC with.  Strevie is a huge wildcard at this moment and no one knows if he'll be successful here or not.  I don't think you can use 2018/2019 stats to evaluate a 2023 Strevie.

The bottom line is MBT is probably leaving, SSK doesn't want Fajardo, and OTT and EDM, though having signed QBs, are in the "iffy" category.  TOR is a massive toss-up on whether they pin it all on Kelly.  MTL probably wants to upgrade from geriatric Harris.  HAM will bail on Evans when he loses his first 4 of 5 games.  With all that you don't think someone takes a big chance on starting Strevie?  If you can start Kelly, you can start Strevie.

The only other option is new blood needs to come up from down south and perform well in a hurry.  CFL gets maybe one of those every 2 years.  You can't bet on it, though.  I'm not saying Strevie is the best/only solution.  I'm just saying there aren't that many other solutions to a league-wide problem.

One thing most fans can say: they'd all love to watch Strevie play!  Kind of like Maziel: even if he's sucking, he's fun to watch.
Never go full Rider!

J5V

Streveler has an infectious set of intangibles that separate him from many players and he has one quality that makes him worth every penny you pay him ... he is a natural leader. When he is on the field you get the impression, through what he says and does, that he is going to the promised land and he's gonna lead the way and you know what? His team mates believe him.
Go Bombers!

Lincoln Locomotive

Quote from: J5V on December 09, 2022, 11:10:23 PM
Streveler has an infectious set of intangibles that separate him from many players and he has one quality that makes him worth every penny you pay him ... he is a natural leader. When he is on the field you get the impression, through what he says and does, that he is going to the promised land and he's gonna lead the way and you know what? His team mates believe him.
Loved Strevvy from the moment we signed him....would love to see him back in Blue and Gold however that's highly improbable at this point in his career.   
Bomber fan for life

TecnoGenius

Quote from: J5V on December 09, 2022, 11:10:23 PM

You bet.  And so do the fans!  Even though we all knew Strevie's limitations pretty quickly when he was starting for us, we always thought he'd probably pull out a win, didn't we?

The longest/latest-(modern)-cfl-game-ever that we lost in the end I totally thought we'd pull off.  You can't stop believing in Strevie.  And I was somewhat optimistic even if we had rolled into the 2019 playoffs starting Strevie.  Partly because you never know what magic he'll pull off.

I'd think any CFL team starting Strevie would get major fan excitement.  Even if he loses half the season, people will still come out to see him play.
Never go full Rider!

Ridermania

Chris Streveler has been activated for tonight's NFL game between the Jets and Jaguars.

Streveler has to play only five more NFL regular season games to secure his league pension.

Hope the kid makes his league pension.

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: Ridermania on December 22, 2022, 09:15:02 PM
Chris Streveler has been activated for tonight's NFL game between the Jets and Jaguars.

Streveler has to play only five more NFL regular season games to secure his league pension.

Hope the kid makes his league pension.
he played he had great energy as usual but his receivers really let him down and his arm strength was suspect at times as well. He rushed the ball amazingly. His teammates let him down for the most part. That Jets team are pretenders.
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!