NHL Discussion (Other than Jets)

Started by AngryGreg, January 26, 2014, 04:25:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pigskin

Montreal's FA signings in the off season working out very well.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Pigskin

PL29 -2, no points, 2 PIM. 20.54

JR96 -1, 1A, 16.47.

Pigskin

PL29 1G on 1 shot.

JR96 1G 1A on 2 shots.

Pigskin

Wow, some of the NHL teams in the US are a mess. Lot's of games postponed.

Pigskin

PL29 benched by JT after three games. This isn't going to end well.

Jockitch

Oh gosh this is a big shock to Laine?s agents no doubt
BOMBERS ARE GREY CUP " CHAMPS "

HUSTLE & MUSCLE

theaardvark

So, PL29 wants to be on the top line... and gets his wish in Columbus... with thier top centre.... Jack Rosolovic...

Nice upgrade with contract coming up...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

theaardvark

Laine benched not for his defensive lapse, but for disrespecting a coach... more insight into why PLD13 may be > PL29 from a team perspective...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Pigskin

PL29 is a very good player, but he need an attitude check. I know people that said Big Buff couldn't stand PL29.

theaardvark

Quote from: Pigskin on February 10, 2021, 04:05:07 PM
PL29 is a very good player, but he need an attitude check. I know people that said Big Buff couldn't stand PL29.

Really?  I had never heard that... but it would make sense... if PL29 was any part of Buff's not returning, I will move to hating him.  We moved Kane... but CHevy had no option to move PL29 early on... so if he had to decide between an aging /injured 33 and  franchise future 29, I can see the decision.  But I hate it...

blue_gold_84

Byfuglien retiring was due to compounding injury issues. Let's not make this into something it isn't.

Laine does need an attitude adjustment, though. Maybe getting benched for a period will help in that regard.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

theaardvark

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on February 10, 2021, 09:31:27 PM
Byfuglien retiring was due to compounding injury issues. Let's not make this into something it isn't.

Laine does need an attitude adjustment, though. Maybe getting benched for a period will help in that regard.

Does Laine get paid the same amount sitting on the bench, or in the pressbox? 

He knows that getting a bad reputation for being a problem child might hurt his value, and he's playing right now for THE contract, the 7 year  / max value deal... that he might not get if he is deemed a problem...

Pigskin

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on February 10, 2021, 09:31:27 PM

I don't think anyone has said that Buff retired because of PL29. He just didn't like him, and his attitude.

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Pigskin on February 11, 2021, 03:17:31 AM
I don't think anyone has said that Buff retired because of LP29. He just didn't like him, and his attitude.

Aardsy speculated on it with the what if and then mentioned Kane for some reason. The two (#29 and #33) were never at odds in some meaningful way and Byfuglien's never stated he dislikes Laine. The two were teammates for three seasons, enjoyed some pretty consistent success together during that time, and the "worst" we ever saw was a single incident where Byfuglien yelled at Laine on the ice when the latter appeared to be dogging it on a shift.  A singular event is not at all indicative of a pattern. Not even a rumour existed of the sort during that timeframe.

Dustin Byfuglien was clearly conflicted when weighing his options after the 2018-19 season, dealing with lingering injury issues. It put the organization in a tough spot and the situation was not good for either party in how it played out, but it is what it is. He put his quality of life and his future at the forefront of his decision but there is nothing to suggest his departure was due to another teammate or locker room culture issue. And while I'm sure it stung for his teammates and his coaches, I have seen nothing to indicate there's any bad blood remaining.

As for the young Finn, the Jets didn't move Laine for being a locker room problem, IMO. He was moved because of the potential cap implications for his upcoming contract (which is something I don't think the Jets could afford), as well as his wanting a bigger role as a top line forward. Despite the team giving him ample opportunity to have that and more importantly earn it, it never materialized. His analytics with Scheifele were mediocre at best and his defensive game is still lacking. I don't think the organization planned to move him as quickly as it did but with the off-season grumblings from his agent and the Dubois situation being exacerbated in Columbus, the two teams were able to work out a trade while also including Roslovic, who was sitting out for his own reasons. I don't really see a rationale in going down a rabbit hole for hidden meaning behind this trade; it just happened to fill a respective need for both teams while also squashing any rumours (even if it created more ridiculous ones at the time of the trade).

This trade works out well for the Jets even if losing Laine means less firepower on the wing going forward. When I woke up to the news on that Saturday morning a few weeks ago, I was sad and disappointed at first. Laine has been a blast to watch as a Jet and he seemed to be progressing in a positive way. But as the reality sunk in, I also came to realize the best teams in the NHL have depth down the middle and the addition of Dubois as a 2C addresses that need, what with the decline and then the outright loss of Little on the second line. Scheifele and Dubois make a pretty strong tandem in the top 6, while also taking pressure off an aging Stastny. This also lets the team roll 4 solid lines. To sum it up, the trade checks off more boxes than not.

I still look forward to seeing Laine progress in the NHL, regardless of the team. He's a fun player to watch and has the potential to a lethal offensive presence for a long time. He just needs to keep maturing while being mindful of the fact nothing is given in the NHL.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Pigskin

Edmonton/Montreal game pushed back one hour due to Edmonton going through Covid protocol.