Trade deadline - Oct 1st

Started by gobombersgo, September 24, 2024, 05:03:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue In BC

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on September 26, 2024, 05:31:33 PMPie-in-the-sky, the Ti-Cats are not going to throw a well established vet player like Sayles life into chaos by trading him a month before the season ends when they most likely want to retain him for next season.  The Bombers would also be unlikely to sign him and dump him in the off-season, not their style.

I already said that. It was a hypothetical suggestion that had many if's involved. Those include if he was a potential free agent and the TiCats were choosing to let him depart in free agency.

It's the age old question is can any team spend their SMS in a more cost effective way.

Posters have mentioned this with Lawler as their current example of not being able to produce at the level expected at his salary.

While this isn't that issue for Sayles in Hamilton but if they finish out of the play offs they have to re-think where to spend SMS.

Bombers did that when he left in free agency. This year they did that with Jeffcoat and Hardrick.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Pigskin

Quote from: Blue In BC on September 26, 2024, 05:52:16 PMI already said that. It was a hypothetical suggestion that had many if's involved. Those include if he was a potential free agent and the TiCats were choosing to let him depart in free agency.

It's the age old question is can any team spend their SMS in a more cost effective way.

Posters have mentioned this with Lawler as their current example of not being able to produce at the level expected at his salary.

While this isn't that issue for Sayles in Hamilton but if they finish out of the play offs they have to re-think where to spend SMS.

Bombers did that when he left in free agency. This year they did that with Jeffcoat and Hardrick.

Sayles would be a big get just before the playoffs. 60 games, 139 DTs, 23 Sacks, 2 FF. However, I can't see it happening.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on September 26, 2024, 05:31:33 PMThe Bombers would also be unlikely to sign him and dump him in the off-season, not their style.

Tru dat.  Which is a bummer.  Many teams load up on the rentals when they have a good GC shot.  You can argue the 2 rentals pushed MTL over the top and stole a cup from us who did no rentals.

The only problem with rentals is preferably they are on their last year of contract, or have zero guaranteed SMS$ in 2025.  You don't want a rental that you're then stuck with way above your planned cap structure next year!

I don't think players would mind being tossed around like this... they go from losing teams to GC-bound and potential ring-winning with only 6 weeks of effort.  And if both teams (and player) wink & nod they can go right back to the other team next FA...
Never go full Rider!

ichabod_crane

Quote from: Pete on September 25, 2024, 08:36:13 PMguys i would be interested in:
Elks:  Purifoy a veteran who could shore up numerous positions
       Javon Leake
       Oakman dline
Stamps: Zac Richardson Oline
        J howsare dline
        M Tietz lb
Ticats  Hendrix or Sayles dline
        Powers qb

Oakman was available FOR NOTHING ONLY A few months ago when Toronto cut him....not even a sniff by the Bombers as  far as I know 🤔....he would have been a great upgrade in the middle DL I think.

Can Jimmi in Hamilton also play guitar?! :D  Did not know Austin Powers played QB...OH BEHAVE! ;)

theaardvark

This is not like the NHL where there are long term guarantees teams are trying to dump.  Or even short term contracts that are cap related.  Or MLB or NBA where a single player makes a huge difference.

I'm not saying a trade can't happen, but the reasons for a trade are fewer and further between.  Its usually as perfect storm of one team having a vast excess at a position, often due to the return of an injured player, and another having a rash of injuries.  Like Zac's arrival here.

With everything so close, and the rash of injuries lately, I'd be surprised to see any movement.

That said, there might be some "trades" that happen around PR players, or outright plucks.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Blue In BC

Quote from: TecnoGenius on September 27, 2024, 05:23:48 AMTru dat.  Which is a bummer.  Many teams load up on the rentals when they have a good GC shot.  You can argue the 2 rentals pushed MTL over the top and stole a cup from us who did no rentals.

The only problem with rentals is preferably they are on their last year of contract, or have zero guaranteed SMS$ in 2025.  You don't want a rental that you're then stuck with way above your planned cap structure next year!

I don't think players would mind being tossed around like this... they go from losing teams to GC-bound and potential ring-winning with only 6 weeks of effort.  And if both teams (and player) wink & nod they can go right back to the other team next FA...

Nobody suggested dumping any player acquired in trade after the season. Using Sayles was just an example if and only if the TiCats had decided to trade him, he'd be an upgrade.

As mentioned above it would be preferable that a given player was at the end of his current contract.

That re-sets the goal posts which would allow a chance to re-sign a given player or lose him in a bidding war in free agency.

Sayles has been very productive in Hamilton and you'd think they will want him back in 2025. That said, there may have already been discussions and they feel that won't happen ( just pure speculation ). That's just the nature of free agency. Teams lose players they want to keep but there are gains and losses during free agency.

I don't think that is the case with  Sayles looking to leave. It would be interesting to see what their potential free agency list looks like and what it might cost to retain some of that group.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

theaardvark

in 2013, the Bombers (last in the east) traded Alex Hall to the Rider (GC winners) for Pat Neufeld.  Hekped SSK win at home, and Neufeld has been a long term boon for the Bombers.  Walters first trade, IIRC.

Getting Collaros from the Argos for a swap of a 3rd (upgraded to a first when Collaros signed) for a fifth round pick is probably the most consequential trade in recent CFL history.  At the deadline, Collaros had no spot on the Tor roster (MBT, Franklin and Prukop) so moving him made sense.  That first rounder that Pinball got was Chuchill (played a few games, now out of the league) the fifth we got back, Marc Liegghio.

Not expecting any action at the deadline, but you never know.

So sometimes trades work
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: theaardvark on September 27, 2024, 04:45:29 PMin 2013, the Bombers (last in the east) traded Alex Hall to the Rider (GC winners) for Pat Neufeld.  Hekped SSK win at home, and Neufeld has been a long term boon for the Bombers.  Walters first trade, IIRC.

Getting Collaros from the Argos for a swap of a 3rd (upgraded to a first when Collaros signed) for a fifth round pick is probably the most consequential trade in recent CFL history.  At the deadline, Collaros had no spot on the Tor roster (MBT, Franklin and Prukop) so moving him made sense.  That first rounder that Pinball got was Chuchill (played a few games, now out of the league) the fifth we got back, Marc Liegghio.

Not expecting any action at the deadline, but you never know.

So sometimes trades work

Not certain, but I think that Sask. trade for Neufeld happened towards the end of the current regimes first season together.  They started off their rookie year by trading Jade Etienne to the Riders for the rights to negotiate with Drew Willy before he reached free agency.

Blast from the past, stumbled upon the name Addison Richards, 6'-4" 217 lbs receiver drafted from Regina right after Demski who couldn't stay off the injury list long enough to establish a career.

TBURGESS

Everyone talks about who we should trade for, but no one talks about who or what we'd trade to get them. 

I don't see us making any trades.
Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.

Blue In BC

Quote from: TBURGESS on September 28, 2024, 03:01:33 PMEveryone talks about who we should trade for, but no one talks about who or what we'd trade to get them.

I touched on that initially saying that due to our large IR we were very unlikely to trade anyone from our roster. Any trade would have to use neg list or draft choices.

It could be argued that we have 6 or 7 potential starters on our 6 game IR. It's possible that some team might be interested in someone on our PR but those players have little trade value.

Bottom line is that I don't see anything for the Bombers on the horizon. There are very few rosters spots where we might want to upgrade which makes finding a match is slim to none.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

TecnoGenius

Quote from: TBURGESS on September 28, 2024, 03:01:33 PMEveryone talks about who we should trade for, but no one talks about who or what we'd trade to get them.

I did... you trade your 2nd round and worse picks for what you need.  Keep the 1st to get a great 1st round hoggie, which is all we need.

I agree that we almost certainly don't make trades.  Doesn't mean we shouldn't!
Never go full Rider!

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: TecnoGenius on September 27, 2024, 05:23:48 AMTru dat.  Which is a bummer.  Many teams load up on the rentals when they have a good GC shot.  You can argue the 2 rentals pushed MTL over the top and stole a cup from us who did no rentals.

That is just patently not true.

Jesse

Quote from: TecnoGenius on September 29, 2024, 05:57:13 AMI did... you trade your 2nd round and worse picks for what you need.  Keep the 1st to get a great 1st round hoggie, which is all we need.

I agree that we almost certainly don't make trades.  Doesn't mean we shouldn't!

And then the other team says give me your first rounder and a player or no deal.
My wife is amazing!

Blue In BC

Calgary has lost any chance to be a crossover team. Their season chances now fall on beating the Lions this week.

Even then they need help from teams playing the Lions and the Riders.

Curtains are closing for the Stamps. Let the airlift begin. Could even see changes in the coaching ranks there to get a jump start on 2025.

Is Lapo's phone ringing yet?
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Blue In BC

Will any team make any sort of significant trade today? It's crunch time.
2019 Grey Cup Champions