Trade deadline - Oct 1st

Started by gobombersgo, September 24, 2024, 05:03:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue In BC

Quote from: Jesse on September 24, 2024, 08:43:00 PMBut what is the benefit of moving a player and "giving up"?

What is being sent back? Draft picks? Does a mid-round draft pick really move the needle to move a player?

The nature of the CFL makes trade deadline deals difficult to make beneficial for both sides.

Reducing their SMS could be used for re-signing some of their potential free agents. That in turn allows spending that difference on actual free agents.
Depending on who is traded you might get a 3rd or 4th round draft pick. In re-build mode you need all the draft choices you can get.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

Jesse

Quote from: Blue In BC on September 24, 2024, 10:38:07 PMReducing their SMS could be used for re-signing some of their potential free agents. That in turn allows spending that difference on actual free agents.
Depending on who is traded you might get a 3rd or 4th round draft pick. In re-build mode you need all the draft choices you can get.

I guess that's the argument for it. But we don't exactly see it happen too often, so it doesn't seem like something GMs value.
My wife is amazing!

Blueforlife

Do we have an extra pieces that are worth shopping for a draft pick?

Blue In BC

Quote from: Blueforlife on September 25, 2024, 12:51:18 AMDo we have an extra pieces that are worth shopping for a draft pick?

I don't think so because of our large IR list. I think contending teams won't want to trade players for draft picks. They might consider trading draft picks if there is an obvious chance to upgrade their current roster in both the short and long term.

Example: The Lions won't trade VAJ for some top draft picks until after the season. He may be needed to play this season.

We'll see how the Elks and Ti Cats do this week. If the view is that both those teams lose and are likely out of playoff contention they might be shuffling the deck somewhat.  Stamps are in the same situation if the Riders win.

I don't see anything big on the horizon but if some teams are looking at 2025 then anything is possible.

Do you have any suggestions about who you think might be trade bait for the Bombers? Part of the question would be how would we back fill that role now if we trade for picks in 2025.

That requires an evaluation of our IR if someone is due to come off and our PR I suppose.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Blue In BC

Further hypothetical thoughts on a trade I might be interested in:

If Casey Sayles is coming off the 1 game IR and in the last year of his contract, he would be an upgrade to our DL.

A conditional trade based on whether he re-signs in Winnipeg or is just an end of season rental for a draft pick TBD.

Now it's possible that the TiCats get eliminated this weekend. Even so they may feel they want to extend him. OTOH, they may feel they want another draft pick and a shift in where 2025 SMS is spent.

I think Adams and Woods are going to be good players but Sayles is better today which would be the point. We could shift one of those DT's to the 1 game IR or PR to retain them for injury insurance and into 2025.

Do I think it happens even if the TiCats are eliminated? No, but like I said it's just a thought of where we could use a veteran upgrade.

Where we might need an upgrade is contingent on whether we suffer another serious injury. So the need could change this weekend before the deadline.

Aside from Cole and Woli I don't know that we'll see any of our IR players healthy this season.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

DM83

Edmonton  blew their wad on a couple  receivers that  basically shot the bed.  We could use one of them.
Secondly an impact end or tackle on defense, would be an upgrade on three of the four def. linemen.
Lastly a punt returner.   

Pete

guys i would be interested in:
Elks:  Purifoy a veteran who could shore up numerous positions
       Javon Leake
       Oakman dline
Stamps: Zac Richardson Oline
        J howsare dline
        M Tietz lb
Ticats  Hendrix or Sayles dline
        Powers qb

M.O.A.B.

Im will be interested with Janarion Grant but I dont think he will be available.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Blue In BC on September 25, 2024, 01:12:48 PMI don't think so because of our large IR list. I think contending teams won't want to trade players for draft picks. They might consider trading draft picks if there is an obvious chance to upgrade their current roster in both the short and long term.

I think after the last few years of good drafting that we can afford to trade away our 2+ round DPs for win-right-now GC-run talent.  I don't think there's any players we have that we can afford to give up, given our IR situation, unless there's someone we really don't like and wanted to cut anyhow.

The reason I'd keep our 1RDP is we will want to get a top OL.  Our NAT OL hopper is basically empty, and we'll probably lose at least 1 guy in FA like we always do.

However, I'm extremely happy that Lofton and Randolph have proven to be pretty darn good, and both probably have a role here into the future.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Blue In BC on September 25, 2024, 06:48:29 PMIf Casey Sayles is coming off the 1 game IR and in the last year of his contract, he would be an upgrade to our DL.

I would jump on Sayles.  However, were there whispers Lawson was possibly coming back before EOS?  If Lawson is ok, the need for a splash DT is somewhat diminished (though not eliminated... it's still our biggest need along with DE IMHO).

Cats seem very happy with Sayles, though, and I think he's part of their long term plan.  He's often the only one not quitting on that D.

Quote from: Blue In BC on September 25, 2024, 06:48:29 PMWhere we might need an upgrade is contingent on whether we suffer another serious injury. So the need could change this weekend before the deadline.

Don't say it!  Don't even think it!  Go throw some salt over your shoulder or something.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Pete on September 25, 2024, 08:36:13 PMguys i would be interested in:
Elks:  Purifoy a veteran who could shore up numerous positions
      Javon Leake
      Oakman dline
Stamps: Zac Richardson Oline
        J howsare dline
        M Tietz lb
Ticats  Hendrix or Sayles dline
        Powell qb

I bolded the ones we'd both need and I'd like.  Howsare is meh, lost 2 cups against us doing nothing.

If the worst happens, I'm all over Powell.  Dolegala ain't gonna get us a cup, and neither will rookie Wilson.  Strev at least gave us some hope, being a Ford-like mobile QB, but who actually isn't tiny & fragile.  But he's toast, so...

Jones is doing well @MLB so far... but things are now iffy & tentative at both MLB and WILL, with very little in the way of backups.  Are there any MLB/WILLs worth looking at on those 3 teams?  (...not named Tietz.)
Never go full Rider!

Blue In BC

I don't think anyone gets traded before their games this week although there might be early discussions. On Sunday there are a few days left to pull the trigger on trades if situations have changed.

Sometimes you see a " starter " sit out in a surprise situation that might indicate a possible trade on the horizon.

Let's the dice roll.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: TecnoGenius on September 26, 2024, 05:03:01 AMI would jump on Sayles.  However, were there whispers Lawson was possibly coming back before EOS?  If Lawson is ok, the need for a splash DT is somewhat diminished (though not eliminated... it's still our biggest need along with DE IMHO).

Cats seem very happy with Sayles, though, and I think he's part of their long term plan.  He's often the only one not quitting on that D.

Don't say it!  Don't even think it!  Go throw some salt over your shoulder or something.

Sayles left to get paid more money, nothing has changed and the Bombers still can't afford to pay him what he wants.  Throughout the roster it's important they invest time to make their budget players work out in order to finance their more expensive players, and they now have a good young core of DT's that will carry them through.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on September 26, 2024, 05:14:28 PMSayles left to get paid more money, nothing has changed and the Bombers still can't afford to pay him what he wants.  Throughout the roster it's important they invest time to make their budget players work out in order to finance their more expensive players, and they now have a good young core of DT's that will carry them through.

1. If he gets traded he has no choice.
2. After this week there are only 3 regular season games, so that's 1/6 of his annual salary.
3. I did mention that if he was healthy and in the last year of his deal he'd be a rental.
4. Nothing says we have to retain any specific player after the end of the season. If we do it could require a renegotiation.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Blue In BC on September 26, 2024, 05:20:59 PM1. If he gets traded he has no choice.
2. After this week there are only 3 regular season games, so that's 1/6 of his annual salary.
3. I did mention that if he was healthy and in the last year of his deal he'd be a rental.
4. Nothing says we have to retain any specific player after the end of the season. If we do it could require a renegotiation.

Pie-in-the-sky, the Ti-Cats are not going to throw a well established vet player like Sayles life into chaos by trading him a month before the season ends when they most likely want to retain him for next season.  The Bombers would also be unlikely to sign him and dump him in the off-season, not their style.