Trade deadline - Oct 1st

Started by gobombersgo, September 24, 2024, 05:03:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gobombersgo

Farhan Lalji:

With the @CFL trade deadline on Oct 1, multiple teams have reached out to @BCLions in the past month to gauge the availability of VA. BC is not interested in moving him this season.

gobombersgo

With no teams eliminated yet, will anyone be sellers after this week's games?

TecnoGenius

Quote from: gobombersgo on September 24, 2024, 05:05:55 AMWith no teams eliminated yet, will anyone be sellers after this week's games?

GMs have to balance being realistic with their post-season chances vs making moves that will give them an advantage next season.

Even if CGY, EDM and HAM are in the hunt, another loss each this week and they are likely (de facto) done.  And even if they made it to the playoffs, they probably don't go far.  None is looking like MTL in '23, stomping all over everyone in the last 6 weeks.

So I think at least 1, maybe 3, of those teams will be open to talks starting Sunday.  A super-old but great vet who is off-contract in a couple of months would be ideal GC-stock-up fodder for the GC hopefuls (i.e. us) (think: Geroy Simon in '13).  CGY has quite a few of those, especially on D...

BC will never and should never give up VAJ until the season's over.  They are still GC favorites to some degree, and Rourke is one scramble away from tubsville.  Or he could just outright stink up the joint -- then BC could trade him away in FA, not VAJ!
Never go full Rider!

blue_gold_84

A rental DE would be a nice addition.
#forthew
лава Україні!
井の中の蛙大海を知らず

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on September 24, 2024, 01:19:38 PMA rental DE would be a nice addition.

Agreed. If we're going to make a move that seems logical although something tells me O'Shea is not one for airlifting in help at the deadline. He's going to reward the players who have turned it around.

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on September 24, 2024, 01:42:55 PMAgreed. If we're going to make a move that seems logical although something tells me O'Shea is not one for airlifting in help at the deadline. He's going to reward the players who have turned it around.

#forthew
лава Україні!
井の中の蛙大海を知らず

Pete

Cfl trade deadline - nonevent

theaardvark

Quote from: Pete on September 24, 2024, 02:28:04 PMCfl trade deadline - nonevent

Wonder if TSN will have a trade deadline show...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Blue In BC

Quote from: theaardvark on September 24, 2024, 03:43:09 PMWonder if TSN will have a trade deadline show...

LOL. Not likely. It's a non event most years. This year probably even more so since all teams still have some play off hopes.

A few will quite possibly be eliminated this weekend. Edmonton and Hamilton are sitting on a razor's edge right now. So there might be some desire to eliminate some SMS.

Just a couple of examples: If Hamilton loses, do they try to trade BLM for a bag of old footballs? It wouldn't seem like they expect him back in 2025.

Same question for Edmonton: Ford may not be the future but neither is MBT and he's a higher SMS hit than Ford.

Acquiring one of those QB's is only of value to a team needing a # 2 that is going to the play offs.

Any trade after the games this week would be for only 3 remaining regular season games. So it's an interesting question but it depends on the games this weekend to see which teams get eliminated.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Blue In BC

Ottawa just reported that D. Brown is in a walking boot and Masoli will be starting. I wonder if Brown will end up on the 6 game IR and will he be able to play again this season?

Ankle injury could be anything from a week to several months of recovery.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Blue In BC on September 24, 2024, 04:48:17 PMOttawa just reported that D. Brown is in a walking boot and Masoli will be starting. I wonder if Brown will end up on the 6 game IR and will he be able to play again this season?

Ankle injury could be anything from a week to several months of recovery.

That's a 2 or 3 times Dru Brown has been knocked out of action this season, his toughness might be his weakest attribute, he doesn't crumple well.  Zach looks like an ironman in comparison.

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on September 24, 2024, 05:23:07 PMThat's a 2 or 3 times Dru Brown has been knocked out of action this season, his toughness might be his weakest attribute, he doesn't crumple well.  Zach looks like an ironman in comparison.

Not sure I'd qualify a late headshot as proof Brown isn't tough. And IIRC, this most recent injury is related to the last one he sustained against the Riders (ankle), who aren't exactly known for playing cleanly vs. opposing QBs.
#forthew
лава Україні!
井の中の蛙大海を知らず

VictorRomano

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on September 24, 2024, 05:36:29 PMAnd IIRC, this most recent injury is related to the last one he sustained against the Riders (ankle), who aren't exactly known for playing cleanly vs. opposing QBs.

Not just that - the guy who took out Dru Brown's knee was Miles Brown - the same guy who headshotted Collaros in the LDC, and also took out Streveller's knee the next week in the Banjo Bowl.

Jesse

Quote from: TecnoGenius on September 24, 2024, 06:35:04 AMGMs have to balance being realistic with their post-season chances vs making moves that will give them an advantage next season.

Even if CGY, EDM and HAM are in the hunt, another loss each this week and they are likely (de facto) done.  And even if they made it to the playoffs, they probably don't go far.  None is looking like MTL in '23, stomping all over everyone in the last 6 weeks.

So I think at least 1, maybe 3, of those teams will be open to talks starting Sunday.  A super-old but great vet who is off-contract in a couple of months would be ideal GC-stock-up fodder for the GC hopefuls (i.e. us) (think: Geroy Simon in '13).  CGY has quite a few of those, especially on D...

BC will never and should never give up VAJ until the season's over.  They are still GC favorites to some degree, and Rourke is one scramble away from tubsville.  Or he could just outright stink up the joint -- then BC could trade him away in FA, not VAJ!

But what is the benefit of moving a player and "giving up"?

What is being sent back? Draft picks? Does a mid-round draft pick really move the needle to move a player?

The nature of the CFL makes trade deadline deals difficult to make beneficial for both sides.
My wife is amazing!

theaardvark

Quote from: Jesse on September 24, 2024, 08:43:00 PMBut what is the benefit of moving a player and "giving up"?

What is being sent back? Draft picks? Does a mid-round draft pick really move the needle to move a player?

The nature of the CFL makes trade deadline deals difficult to make beneficial for both sides.

With DP's the only thing you lose (besides money) for overspending your $SMS, they do have some value now...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.