Official Game Day Thread - Winnipeg at Saskatchewan - Sept. 1, 2024

Started by ModAdmin, August 31, 2024, 06:39:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dd

I saw the play, #24 for riders, although there is no rule presently against this there should be , players forward momentum is stopped, play is dead, any yanking of legs etc on a defenseless player should be flagged—it isn't right now, but this dirtbag stuff happens too often, got to but the 'rider dirtbag rule' in I guess.

markf

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on September 02, 2024, 05:37:09 PMYes saw that, the ref. scolded the player but did not think it worthy of a flag, that must change.

Saw that.

That was absurd.

Trying not to complain about the refs, but holy Hannah they make it hard.

northof30

Quote from: J5V on September 02, 2024, 02:16:57 PMThat's just awesome! Thanks for sharing! Love it!
And this is what people waste their time criticizing on Twitter.
My God, grow up, get a life snowflakes!

J5V

Even Bob Irving commenting on the TSN last night ..

"Instead of praising the Bombers for a heart-stopping 35-33 win in a brutally difficult environment, the TSN panel focused on the fact Chris Streveler didn't throw any deep balls. Interesting. Just a reminder fellas, Wpg won, they've won 4 in a row."
Go Bombers!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on September 02, 2024, 01:59:10 PMI'll just put this here:

...Banjo Bowl is going to be fun.

Looks like a few fans had a few too many beers and forgot the rivalry was "friendly" and that they were at a stadium surrounded by 34k people... with cameras.

Since it's all on video now, whoever those SSK fans were are likely to be identified and if they are STHs they may be barred from future games.  The WPG fans can just never show up to Regina again (after dealing with any immediate issues if they got arrested).

I have no feelings either way about Lucky's comment.  I just hope he doesn't get fined.

P.S. You are legally allowed to defend yourself, and a lot will depend on who initiated physical contact.  Too bad the video starts a few seconds too late.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: J5V on September 02, 2024, 05:42:38 PMSpeaking of which, I'm hearing that Brown is likely to be suspended for his hit on Zach and that he will appeal so he can wreak more havoc in the Banjo Bowl.

I doubt he'll be suspended.  It wasn't that bad of a hit (in terms of force).  Very bad result, yes, because it's Zach.  A young guy like Rourke wouldn't have even noticed.  He will be fined the max, though.

It bothers me more that nothing happened to that guy a few weeks ago who did the hands + head ram routine that actually knocked Zach unconscious.  Yes, it wasn't late, but it was a head target, albeit sneakily done.  They let that go unmentioned and unpunished and now everyone is going to do it.  They should retroactively highlight that that play was illegal too.

I think every team is gunning for Zach's head now, and something needs to be done.

I hate to say it, I might tell Zach to start wearing the gazoo padding.  At this rate he won't last into the playoffs.  If it doesn't obstruct his vision or make movement harder (added weight), I don't care how dorky he'll look at this point.  Just keep him healthy.
Never go full Rider!

J5V

We'd be remiss not to send some love in the direction of Buck Pierce. He had the Rider defense off balance and guessing and spread the ball around very well. Had to improvise in the second half when Zach sat out and guided us home to the victory. Great job, Buck!
Go Bombers!

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: J5V on September 02, 2024, 06:56:15 PMEven Bob Irving commenting on the TSN last night ..

"Instead of praising the Bombers for a heart-stopping 35-33 win in a brutally difficult environment, the TSN panel focused on the fact Chris Streveler didn't throw any deep balls. Interesting. Just a reminder fellas, Wpg won, they've won 4 in a row."
The TSN panel has lost IQ at an alarming rate lately.
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

dd

Quote from: TecnoGenius on September 02, 2024, 10:46:51 PMLooks like a few fans had a few too many beers and forgot the rivalry was "friendly" and that they were at a stadium surrounded by 34k people... with cameras.

Since it's all on video now, whoever those SSK fans were are likely to be identified and if they are STHs they may be barred from future games.  The WPG fans can just never show up to Regina again (after dealing with any immediate issues if they got arrested).

I have no feelings either way about Lucky's comment.  I just hope he doesn't get fined.

P.S. You are legally allowed to defend yourself, and a lot will depend on who initiated physical contact.  Too bad the video starts a few seconds too late.
Lucky has no business getting involved via social media on this day me and guarantee MOS will set him straight. Defend yourself?? Have you watched the video??!! The guy was throwing haymakers at anyone nearby,guilty as charged,prohibition to enter premises fully warranted, see ya boob!!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: dd on September 02, 2024, 11:52:26 PMDefend yourself?? Have you watched the video??!! The guy was throwing haymakers at anyone nearby,guilty as charged,prohibition to enter premises fully warranted, see ya boob!!

The video I saw on X cut in at a moment when stuff may have already gotten out of hand.  I can't tell from the video who initiated what.

As for the "guy throwing haymakers", I saw both jersey colors going to town, so I'm not sure which one in particular you're referring to.  However, it looks like the main blue guy was getting creamed under a crowd at the end.  Hope he's ok.

If not for the booze haze, most Blue fans would see themselves surrounded by 33k green fans -- many of whom bale hay all day long -- and think twice before engaging in violence?
Never go full Rider!

Big Daddy

Quote from: bunker on September 02, 2024, 01:25:31 PMWade Miller agrees with you. Quote from the Free Press:

"At some point, maybe our commissioner will decide that we should protect quarterbacks after the play," Miller told the Free Press. "This is ridiculous and needs to stop. We've seen this two years in a row now."

One thing I'd like to know is what was going through the head of the ref closest to the play, and clearly watching the hit on Collaros unfold.

One of the last replays they show on the broadcast shows him standing there watching for anything happening (obviously tasked with watching the qb), reacts slightly to the hit and you can see him briefly reach back for the flag, then just stop and not do anything.

Yes it's full speed and all that.  Clearly he saw something that made him briefly reach for the flag, then nothing.

So what was he honestly thinking in that moment?

theaardvark

Quote from: tlf on September 02, 2024, 05:13:11 PMDid anyone else see the Riders grab and pull Strevy's leg? Dirty.

The issue I have been complaining about.  It was late and unnecessary. And should be penalized as UR.

As to the head hit, it looks to me like Brown led with his shoulder but aimed high, and brought his jaw down, to make the helmet to helmet contact happen.  He could have moved his helmet the opposite way and avoided all contact.  It deserves a fine, and a suspension.  Allowing him on the field for the Banjo Bowl would be a disaster.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: theaardvark on September 03, 2024, 05:08:34 AMAs to the head hit, it looks to me like Brown led with his shoulder but aimed high, and brought his jaw down, to make the helmet to helmet contact happen.  He could have moved his helmet the opposite way and avoided all contact.  It deserves a fine, and a suspension.  Allowing him on the field for the Banjo Bowl would be a disaster.

See the MOS post-gamer: he said Zach got hit in the chin and was taken out for precautions because of that.

Hopefully it's all just a nothingburger by next week.  But hey, play up the injury until then to hopefully get more pressure for a suspension!

P.S. SSK won't care if Brown is suspended as I think they have Lanier coming back real soon now?  And like someone said, Brown can appeal in order to play BB if he has to.
Never go full Rider!

J5V

Quote from: TecnoGenius on September 03, 2024, 07:26:59 AMSee the MOS post-gamer: he said Zach got hit in the chin and was taken out for precautions because of that.

Hopefully it's all just a nothingburger by next week.  But hey, play up the injury until then to hopefully get more pressure for a suspension!

P.S. SSK won't care if Brown is suspended as I think they have Lanier coming back real soon now?  And like someone said, Brown can appeal in order to play BB if he has to.
Oh, I am sure the Bombers want him to play.  ;-)
Go Bombers!