Official Game Day Thread - Winnipeg at Saskatchewan - Sept. 1, 2024

Started by ModAdmin, August 31, 2024, 06:39:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pdirks67

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on August 31, 2024, 03:30:20 PMLaPo's testament to Jordan Younger, imagine being the QB facing this coverage, not a lot of options available.

I thought that this was one of Lapo's better videos. He is becoming steadily less amateurish as a YouTube football analyst. If he can continue to improve, he is going to be a must-watch YouTuber for CFL fans.

I think that he needs to: (1) script out his videos better, (2) get feedback from viewers to understand the right level of explanation required, and (3) improve his technical setup a bit. Honestly, I think he should watch about 24 hours straight of JT O'Sullivan (QB School) and try to copy his approach.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: pdirks67 on August 31, 2024, 07:04:17 PMI thought that this was one of Lapo's better videos. He is becoming steadily less amateurish as a YouTube football analyst. If he can continue to improve, he is going to be a must-watch YouTuber for CFL fans.

I think that he needs to: (1) script out his videos better, (2) get feedback from viewers to understand the right level of explanation required, and (3) improve his technical setup a bit. Honestly, I think he should watch about 24 hours straight of JT O'Sullivan (QB School) and try to copy his approach.

LaPo's videos are very good, I hope he generates enough viewers to make it worth his while.

Jesse

Quote from: pdirks67 on August 31, 2024, 07:04:17 PMI thought that this was one of Lapo's better videos. He is becoming steadily less amateurish as a YouTube football analyst. If he can continue to improve, he is going to be a must-watch YouTuber for CFL fans.

His vids are phenomenal.
My wife is amazing!

pdirks67

I obviously don't like being without Bryant. But looking at the silver lining, he should be fresher for the home stretch. And we can start to figure out if our long term replacement is already in-house. And I guess we are also figuring out if we have Neufeld's replacement in-house.

pdirks67

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on August 31, 2024, 07:06:52 PMLaPo's videos are very good, I hope he generates enough viewers to make it worth his while.

The better NFL guys have followers in the hundreds of thousands. If he can tap into the CFL market in Canada and continue to increase his views and subscribers, it probably translates to thousands. And if he can start (1) attracting advertisers, and (2) converting a small proportion of those to paid supporters on Patreon, or whatever, you'd think it would be worthwhile. It's a long term game, I think. But right now, he sure seems to have the market completely to himself.

gobombersgo

Bombers' OL Stanley Bryant out for Labour Day Classic vs. Riders
By 3Down Staff -August 31, 2024

Winnipeg Blue Bombers' left tackle Stanley Bryant will miss his first game due to injury or illness when his team visits the Saskatchewan Roughriders for the Labour Day Classic.

Bryant
had to be stretchered off the field early in last week's win over the Hamilton Tiger-Cats and was taken to hospital in apparent medical distress from a combination of heat and illness. He was discharged the following day but has been unable to practice this week, earning a spot on the six-game injured list.

The 38-year-old is arguably the greatest offensive lineman in CFL history, having won a record four Most Outstanding Offensive Linemen awards. He's also ultra-durable, starting 148 of a possible 151 career games since joining the Blue Bombers as a free agent in 2015. He was a healthy scratch for the three games he missed, all of which came late in the season after Winnipeg had clinched first place in the West Division.

American Kendall Randolph, who started last week at right guard, will move over to left tackle for this game, while Tui Eli slots into the interior. With rookie backup Gabe Wallace (knee) expected to be out long-term on the six-game injured list, American Micah Vanterpool will dress as the sixth man.

It isn't all bad news for Winnipeg, however, as all-star linebacker Adam Bighill will make an early return to the starting lineup after spending just one week on the six-game. In nine games this year, the 35-year-old has recorded 46 tackles and a sack — bringing his career total to 937 defensive tackles.

Also returning is veteran Canadian receiver Drew Wolitarsky, who knocks rookie Kevens Clercius out of the starting lineup. In eight games this year, he has snagged 26 passes for 326 yards and a touchdown.

In other roster moves, rookie American defensive tackle Devin Adams, who has four sacks this year, has been demoted to the practice roster in favour of Canadian Tanner Schmekel. Fullback Bailey Feltmate (ankle) has also been placed on the six-game injured list.

The Winnipeg Blue Bombers (5-6) will visit the Saskatchewan Roughriders (5-5-1) for the Labour Day Classic on Sunday, September 1 at 7:00 p.m. EDT.

https://3downnation.com/2024/08/31/bombers-ol-stanley-bryant-out-for-labour-day-classic-vs-riders/

gobombersgo

Riders tweak Labour Day Classic roster with addition of FB Clint Ratkovich
By 3Down Staff -August 31, 2024

The Saskatchewan Roughriders are winless in their last five games but have only tweaked their roster slightly for the Labour Day Classic clash with the Winnipeg Blue Bombers.

The biggest change will see American fullback Clint Ratkovich draw back into the lineup in an effort to open up something for Frankie Hickson in the running game. The 26-year-old, who was dubbed "Super-Back" in college, has recorded five carries for eight yards and caught six passes for 68 yards and a touchdown in 10 games this year.

On defence, Saskatchewan will swap out depth Canadian defensive backs. Jayden Dalke, who has three defensive tackles, four special teams tackles, and a forced fumble this year, will be a healthy scratch. Kosi Onyeka, who has one special teams tackle and a forced fumble in four games, draws in to the lineup.

American linebacker Aubrey Miller Jr. has been demoted to the practice roster in a corresponding move.

The Saskatchewan Roughriders (5-5-1) will host the Winnipeg Blue Bombers (5-6) for the Labour Day Classic on Sunday, September 1 at 7:00 p.m. EDT.

https://3downnation.com/2024/08/31/riders-tweak-labour-day-classic-roster-with-addition-of-fb-clint-ratkovich/

Pigskin

Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: pdirks67 on August 31, 2024, 07:18:12 PMThe better NFL guys have followers in the hundreds of thousands. If he can tap into the CFL market in Canada and continue to increase his views and subscribers, it probably translates to thousands. And if he can start (1) attracting advertisers, and (2) converting a small proportion of those to paid supporters on Patreon, or whatever, you'd think it would be worthwhile. It's a long term game, I think. But right now, he sure seems to have the market completely to himself.

Unfortunately most of his videos have under 200 views, not sure there is serious enough CFL interest to grow it to even 1,000 views. His best hope is to eventually get back into coaching and find contentment as an OC if he's not fulfilled with his TSN gig.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: DCM on August 31, 2024, 02:18:18 PM@jeffkhamilton
NEWS out of Regina: Bombers will be without OL Stanley Bryant for Sunday's Labour Day Classic against the Saskatchewan Roughriders.

This is a disaster.  We would barely be able to win in SSK with Big Stan...

Eli is just too small and I'm now 100% convinced is only useful as backup C and jumbo 6th/7th.  He is superb at jumbo, and everyone needs a backup C.  Thus he has strong value to always dress.  But he should never be starting at OG.  This will be a disaster for us.

Randolph was amazing at RG, and made Neufeld the weeks before look silly.  But Randolph is not a LT.  He was completely hopeless in Stan's spot last week.  This will be a complete disaster in LDC.

SSK will kill us rushing 3, 4 or whatever blitz they choose.  Blanket coverage and no time will mean we have no mid/deep game, and Zach will likely throw picks into triple coverage.

Brady won't save us because SSK is stout against power backs and in any event they will focus on run stop because our passing game will be useless.

Yes, our only hope is to stick to 5 yard outs, slants, and curls all night.  Brady might be able to eke out 2-4Y on 2nd down if we need.  The funny thing is the dink & dunk is the T.Harris gameplan!  Well, we need to steal it for us.

I see no scenario where we get anywhere close to winning, unless the D is lights out (possible) and they score 2-3 times (not possible).  My main hope is we keep Zach from getting hurt by getting the ball out instantly every snap.

Sorry for being a bummer, but this is the worst possible news, and completely unexpected based on everything we were told to date.

Update: I see one way to win... Strev plays QB the whole game, and does his thing with Brady.  Then the weak OL pass pro doesn't matter.  SSK would have no idea what to do as they planned for a normal Zach game.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Blue In BC on August 31, 2024, 03:57:39 PMBryant not playing is a bit of a surprise but I don't think it changes the Riders strategy at all.

You better believe Stan being out changes SSK strategy.  They can now plan around getting to the QB on every snap.  They can plan on OL busts where guys get through untouched in under 1.5s.  They can plan on putting Zach in a world of hurt.  They can plan on rushing 3 half the game and still getting to Zach.  They can take all of the effort they'd put into pass-rush and put it into Brady run stop and blanket coverage instead.

D expert Mace is licking his chops and already partying that he gets to bring Regina a home LDC win.  And that's basically all that a SSK HC is measured by.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

I'm worried Stan has something worse and they just aren't saying.  No, I don't mean just possible covid.  I mean heart/circulatory issues that can cause the big scare we saw last week.

I can't see any reason to basically forfeit the LDC with a really really bad OL set just for "precautions".  If he had the flu, he should have been in bed every single day this week resting.  Since they said he had had it a week already, that would be 2 weeks total and it would be over.

Are we without Stan the rest of the season?  We need to hit up couches and trades and scouts and NFL rejects and everything.  Because Randolph-LT Eli-RG are not going to do anything but lose 100% of the time.

Just when it seemed we were getting healthy...
Never go full Rider!

dd

Quote from: TecnoGenius on August 31, 2024, 10:37:50 PMI'm worried Stan has something worse and they just aren't saying.  No, I don't mean just possible covid.  I mean heart/circulatory issues that can cause the big scare we saw last week.

I can't see any reason to basically forfeit the LDC with a really really bad OL set just for "precautions".  If he had the flu, he should have been in bed every single day this week resting.  Since they said he had had it a week already, that would be 2 weeks total and it would be over.

Are we without Stan the rest of the season?  We need to hit up couches and trades and scouts and NFL rejects and everything.  Because Randolph-LT Eli-RG are not going to do anything but lose 100% of the time.

Offense struggled last week without him will continue again, I just hope we don't lose collaros in the process

The Zipp

Quote from: TecnoGenius on August 31, 2024, 10:37:50 PMI'm worried Stan has something worse and they just aren't saying.  No, I don't mean just possible covid.  I mean heart/circulatory issues that can cause the big scare we saw last week.

He is on the 6 game - but could come off sooner.  Missing him for any length is gonna be really tough for the team.

Playing o line effectively needs incredible amounts of strength and stamina - the big man just is too wore out...

TecnoGenius

Quote from: The Zipp on August 31, 2024, 10:59:43 PMHe is on the 6 game - but could come off sooner.  Missing him for any length is gonna be really tough for the team.

That's the other tell.  I've never once heard of a player with flu/vid/cold or heat stroke going on the 6GIR.  It's simply not a thing.  Even with the Mafia "put everyone on the 6G mantra", it's still not a thing.
Never go full Rider!