Official Game Day Thread - Winnipeg at BC August 18, 2024

Started by ModAdmin, August 17, 2024, 05:02:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TecnoGenius

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on August 19, 2024, 02:42:07 AMThe is not even close to a boomer, ever. The BC Punter you'll notice can boom it and with great direction. Do we understand now you and others? Sheehan has a noodle leg compared to other current CFL punters.

Yes, you are right.  But we're talking 2 different things.  The other convo was about coffins.  If you want to talk booming: never been Sheahan's bag and we all know it.  However, there was one game @PAS that he was booming them (wind help?).

He is what he is and he's a "free dress" on the roster as a GLOB.  He has tricked returners and snuck a few past them before.  I think this is a case of us trying for brains over brawn.  It's still an experiment in progress.

Show us a great NAT P in FA that is under $110k, then we'll talk.
Never go full Rider!

Blueforlife

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on August 19, 2024, 02:42:07 AMThe is not even close to a boomer, ever. The BC Punter you'll notice can boom it and with great direction. Do we understand now you and others? Sheehan has a noodle leg compared to other current CFL punters.
I prefer to respect players and not use terms like noodle when speaking about them, over stated on the negative imo

We can agree to disagree

Some are not happy with our punting, others showing some support
Quote from: TecnoGenius on August 19, 2024, 02:50:12 AMYes, you are right.  But we're talking 2 different things.  The other convo was about coffins.  If you want to talk booming: never been Sheahan's bag and we all know it.  However, there was one game @PAS that he was booming them (wind help?).

He is what he is and he's a "free dress" on the roster as a GLOB.  He has tricked returners and snuck a few past them before.  I think this is a case of us trying for brains over brawn.  It's still an experiment in progress.

Show us a great NAT P in FA that is under $110k, then we'll talk.
Because others teams have found kickers with crazy strong legs we are putting too much heat on ours which punts a different way
I think one punter has been kicking at an all time high average I believe
Because our team is so strong some seam to need something to complain about

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Jesse on August 19, 2024, 02:48:31 AMMost teams are rolling with a global now, aren't they?

You bet.  It's all GLOBs and NAT P/Kers.  Does anyone roster an IMP P right now?  Maybe 1?
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Maybe the best solution is to teach Castillo to punt!  ;)  ;)  ;)

That would be the best roster-wise!!  ;D  ;D  ;D

Someone get Meddy on the phone to play teacher.
Never go full Rider!

Blueforlife

Quote from: Jesse on August 19, 2024, 02:45:56 AMFacts are last in the league in punting metrics.
You are not interested in a discussion, you are simply wanting to agree with Goldie who called our punter terrible

Agree to disagree, let's leave it at that

My opinion is that out punter had good game and the numbers supported that

Junkie proved he has been good at pinning teams deep

Yes last in average but there is more to it than that

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Big Daddy on August 18, 2024, 11:13:06 PMBut how was that not no yards?  He was 3 yards away.

On rewatch: yes indeed that is no-yards in the most obvious north/south direction by a yard to 1.5 yards.  Ref botched that one.

However, those challenges are nearly impossible to win and it's our first series so no way you challenge.  Now that the challenge has to be in realtime speed, it's doubly as hard to win.

Good eye Big Daddy!
Never go full Rider!

Blueforlife

Quote from: TecnoGenius on August 19, 2024, 02:52:59 AMMaybe the best solution is to teach Castillo to punt!  ;)  ;)  ;)

That would be the best roster-wise!!  ;D  ;D  ;D

Someone get Meddy on the phone to play teacher.
Troy can show him how to punt from a t lol

ichabod_crane

Maybe his is related to "Spaghetti Legs" Jackie Parker! :D

Jesse

Quote from: Blueforlife on August 19, 2024, 02:56:16 AMYou are not interested in a discussion, you are simply wanting to agree with Goldie who called our punter terrible

Agree to disagree, let's leave it at that

My opinion is that out punter had good game and the numbers supported that

Facts are stats Junkie proved he has been good at pinning teams deep

Yes last in average but there is more to it than that

I love a discussion. You're just not interested in listening when a Bomber player isn't performing well.

But yes, agree to disagree.
My wife is amazing!

Blueforlife

Quote from: Jesse on August 19, 2024, 03:04:16 AMI love a discussion. You're just not interested in listening when a Bomber player isn't performing well.

But yes, agree to disagree.
Nah I call it like it is.  Good, bad and ugly I'll state my opinion.  I like the kicker and called his game good.  That's allowed.

My point was out punter played well and Goldie keep ragging on him, that was it. 

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Jesse on August 19, 2024, 03:04:16 AMI love a discussion. You're just not interested in listening when a Bomber player isn't performing well.

Sheahan clearly offers some positives.  There must be some stats or intangibles he does well at.  From what I remember of Junkie's spreadsheet we were good on coffins (20Y).

If not, then what you are saying is KW/MOS/Miller are dumb, because they had all FA'24 to look at other players.  And they didn't.

If you watch all the games and focus on the entire punting game you'll see that because our coverage has been STELLAR this season the end result of Sheahan+coverage has been exceptional.  We haven't let a single TD through when most other teams have.

The very last problem we have right now is punt+coverage.  I'd call that a win.
Never go full Rider!

ichabod_crane

Quote from: TecnoGenius on August 19, 2024, 02:32:23 AMExcept for HAM letting us down bigly... should have been an East-sweep week.  We may be 1 W out of 1st contention, but EDM is 1 win away from catching up to the pack.

Might go to the wire for playoff spots. Just get into the top 3 and anyone's Western final at this point I think.

I think the Bombers roll up many more wins from now on. First place ABSOLUTELY POSSIBLE. Need at minimum a split with Sask coming up. Sweep even better, but not getting that greedy as Sask almost always seems to find a way to win on Labour Day weekend at home even when they are horrible! ;) :D

With this swarming D though, they will be in every game. These guys seem possessed and totally snuffed BC until garbage time.

Kenny Lawler had a decent game coming back from his injury. Demski played much better. Even Johnny Augustine was smashing & bashing in his short stint!

IN THE MANITOBA MAFIA WE TRUST! :) Where are all the early season doomsayers now? Yeah in your hole or hiding under your bed as you panicked and make illogical conclusions. Can everyone....it's all over for this season! DOOMSDAY is here! ;) This is not the first round up for O'Shea and his posse. Glad they never panicked.

Blueforlife

Quote from: ichabod_crane on August 19, 2024, 03:13:19 AMMight go to the wire for playoff spots. Just get into the top 3 and anyone's Western final at this point I think.

I think the Bombers roll up many more wins from now on. First place ABSOLUTELY POSSIBLE. Need at minimum a split with Sask coming up. Sweep even better, but not getting that greedy as Sask almost always seems to find a way to win on Labour Day weekend at home even when they are horrible! ;) :D

With this swarming D though, they will be in every game. These guys seem possessed and totally snuffed BC until garbage time.

Kenny Lawler had a decent game coming back from his injury. Demski played much better. Even Johnny Augustine was smashing & bashing in his short stint!

IN THE MANITOBA MAFIA WE TRUST! :) Where are all the early season doomsayers now? Yeah in your hole or hiding under your bed as you panicked and make illogical conclusions. Can everyone....it's all over for this season! DOOMSDAY is here! ;) This is not the first round up for O'Shea and his posse. Glad they never panicked.
Love all of this
Doomssayers went silent and eating lots of stuffing lol

Mafia never panics, just gets even

Blueforlife

Quote from: TecnoGenius on August 19, 2024, 03:12:32 AMSheahan clearly offers some positives.  There must be some stats or intangibles he does well at.  From what I remember of Junkie's spreadsheet we were good on coffins (20Y).

If not, then what you are saying is KW/MOS/Miller are dumb, because they had all FA'24 to look at other players.  And they didn't.

If you watch all the games and focus on the entire punting game you'll see that because our coverage has been STELLAR this season the end result of Sheahan+coverage has been exceptional.  We haven't let a single TD through when most other teams have.

Yup coverage is exceptional and punting is good
None issue handled internally
All our ST are consistent and good to exceptional

Jesse

Quote from: TecnoGenius on August 19, 2024, 03:12:32 AMSheahan clearly offers some positives.  There must be some stats or intangibles he does well at.  From what I remember of Junkie's spreadsheet we were good on coffins (20Y).

They're not infallible. There were clearly bigger fish to fry last off season.

And it's silly that we're even talking about this after such a big win. But Sheahan is indisputably the worst punter in the league. He cost us 5-10 yards every time he comes on the field. And he throws in the bad shanks.

The offence is still the biggest concern. Need to convert in the end zone at a better rate. Need to tighten up short yardage.

Next year, I really hope we have some punting options in camp.
My wife is amazing!