Official Game Day Thread - Winnipeg at BC August 18, 2024

Started by ModAdmin, August 17, 2024, 05:02:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue In BC

Bonds is nearly invisible in every game. He's going to be our rookie of the year and his play is outstanding. Ford is no slouch either. In fact our secondary is solid.

I noticed at times Hallett and Griffin were on the field. Everyone has a role and doing it well.

Outstanding.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

LXTSN

Quote from: Jesse on August 19, 2024, 03:45:28 AMWe clearly haven't even bee looking for a Bighill replacement.

But, Ayers has been stellar on ST. So maybe a guy that can work his way in at some point.
Would love to see Ayers and Jones filling the injured LB positions! Unfortunately it will be Gauthier.
Ayers has shown a lot of promise. He is much faster than Gauthier and hasn't missed tackles on special teams or defence.

LXTSN

Quote from: Blue In BC on August 19, 2024, 01:03:48 PMBonds is nearly invisible in every game. He's going to be our rookie of the year and his play is outstanding. Ford is no slouch either. In fact our secondary is solid.

I noticed at times Hallett and Griffin were on the field. Everyone has a role and doing it well.

Outstanding.
Ontaria Wilson might have something to say about this...
The secondary was one of my question marks coming into this season, but they have been a major bright spot for us!
Bonds and Ford have been awesome! Teams have mostly avoided throwing in the area of both these guys.
Nichols is a ROCK. He is the veteran presence and lock down cover guy in our defence.
Holm and Alexander are actually our weak points! Or... our softer spots? They are also great at what they do, but they have just been out played this season by our newcomers!

I LOVE this defensive group!

Waffler

Quote from: TecnoGenius on August 19, 2024, 04:12:19 AM10 or 11 have almost always been enough to win the West.  Even more so this season because wins are starting to average out.

When was the last time 11 wins won the west? 2011? This year though, it might be enough. The tie breaking could get complicated.
Buried in the essentially random digits of pi, you can find your eight-digit birthdate. (Is that a wink from God or just a lot of digits?) - David G. Myers

blue_gold_84

Defense was monstrous yet again in what was a huge victory on the road. And you know what they say about defenses... (hint: see 2019 post-season)

Having the season series over both the Lions and the Stampeders is pretty massive going into the second half of the season.

Crazy to think top spot in the division remains within reach.
#forthew
лава Україні!
井の中の蛙大海を知らず
What a wretched timeline.

TBURGESS

Great game for us. Defence shut them down until it didn't matter one little bit. Offence scored 2 TD's.

Rourke looked like a QB with only 3 practices. He took way to long to make decisions and was off on his throws. Both of our Picks were mostly bad throws.

We're in a playoff spot. Something I didn't think would happen this year. 

Go Bombers!
Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.

Pigskin

I think Jones will slide in the middle, and Ayers will start at WIL. At 6'2" 235 Jones is better suited for MLB. Ayers is 6'3" 220, and a little faster then Jones.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

J5V

Quote from: TecnoGenius on August 19, 2024, 09:31:46 AMHoly smokes, you're right!  Major bumps Rourke!  That's messed up!  I'm sure it's nothing... Major is generally good.  But still: optics, guys!!
I was saying at the start of this season not to expect a fair shake from the league or the officials. For whatever reason they feel compelled to completely disrespect us and this is yet another example. We simply must realize this is the way it is and we can leave nothing to chance. Look at the way our D is playing. That's what we need. Leave no doubt as to who is dominant and take no prisoners. The phantom calls, the bad spots, officials fist-bumping our opponents, all of it is going to continue. Therefore we have to play lights out so that the outcome of any game is determined by us and us alone.
Go Bombers!

Lincoln Locomotive

Bluto called this one to a T on the pre game show....he said if we score early and take the fans out of the game we will likely win.  Well we took them out early and our D did the rest.    We left points on the board again with another "doink" off the goal post yielding 0 points and a botched 3rd and 2 gamble by Strevvy who tripped over Bryant's leg attempting to run off tackle.    The score at the half could easily have been 16-0 or more.    We fortunately made good on our first drive after receiving the 2nd half kick off and kept the pressure on the BC defence.   

Clearly Nathan Rourke was not himself playing in this game and I believe they would have had a better shot with Dolegala however with all the media hype around Rourke and his big contract....BC was more or less obliged to start him.  However Nathan isn't Superman either and was definitely not in sync with his receivers or O-Line.

That being said, when Zach started for us after only a few days practice we ended up beating the Stamps for the first timein a long long time and we all remember that famous 4th quarter scramble from the blitz and his magical throw to Adams who toe dragged and made the TD score!  I alluded back to that game when factoring in Nathan Rourke playing with only a few days practice and being bounced around the NFL like a ping pong ball.    Well it turns out Nathan IS human after all and our D had its jaw set to make his life miserable which they did in spades.....so it ended up that we caught a break and almost shut them out other than a last minute garbage time drive for 8 points when the game was basically out of reach.

Not to take anything away from our Defence who played their hearts out and nearly shut them out for the 2nd game in a row.    Having Lawler, Haba and Garbutt back had a huge impact as well as playing Lucky who I'm really liking these days.  He even blocked for JA on a KO return which also kind of scared me but he's definitely not afraid of contact.    Lucky's speed kept their D honest and almost every one of his receiving yards were YAC yards....also impressive.

I thought this would be a pivotal game for both teams and losing the game and the series with the Lions would seriously have put us in a 3-7 hole.    BC has lost 4 straight now but I can see Rourke rebounding with a better performance next game but he's also not the Messiah and the team has injury problems going forward.

At 4-6 we are starting to see some light at the end of the tunnel and the TiCats are up next at home and we should win this game all things considered.  Assuming we dispatch the hapless Cats we will be 5-6 and in a better position to take on the Riders in the LDC and Banjo Bowl.....as we all know this is when the season really begins in the CFL.

We are definitely back on track playing "Bomber Football" after a horrific start to the season and with all the injuries to so many key players.  Go Bombers go!!
Bomber fan for life

theaardvark

Quote from: LXTSN on August 19, 2024, 01:29:05 PMWould love to see Ayers and Jones filling the injured LB positions! Unfortunately it will be Gauthier.
Ayers has shown a lot of promise. He is much faster than Gauthier and hasn't missed tackles on special teams or defence.

Gautier is the in game replacement.  If Biggie goes to the IR, Ayers/Jones replaces him on the DC.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Lincoln Locomotive

Quote from: J5V on August 19, 2024, 04:10:02 PMI was saying at the start of this season not to expect a fair shake from the league or the officials. For whatever reason they feel compelled to completely disrespect us and this is yet another example. We simply must realize this is the way it is and we can leave nothing to chance. Look at the way our D is playing. That's what we need. Leave no doubt as to who is dominant and take no prisoners. The phantom calls, the bad spots, officials fist-bumping our opponents, all of it is going to continue. Therefore we have to play lights out so that the outcome of any game is determined by us and us alone.
I definitely felt some of the calls against us were bogus and had the feeling that the officials were not helping.....let's face it the CFL wants BC to be in the Grey Cup and for Nathan Rourke to be Captain Canada once again and be the face of the league.    And, he just might be but not on this day, despite some dubious officiating.
Bomber fan for life

Blue In BC

Quote from: theaardvark on August 19, 2024, 04:30:04 PMGautier is the in game replacement.  If Biggie goes to the IR, Ayers/Jones replaces him on the DC.

Jones is already replacing Wilson at WIL. Not sure what happens if Bighill misses the next game. Ayers hasn't seemed to have many snaps on defence. In theory 1 change would be better than two changes but it is against the TiCats and they have a horrible offence.

I could be wrong but I don't think Bighill's injury was serious. Pulled to avoid further problem. Short week might be the deciding factor.

We don't have another LB on the PR.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

Jesse

Quote from: theaardvark on August 19, 2024, 04:30:04 PMGautier is the in game replacement.  If Biggie goes to the IR, Ayers/Jones replaces him on the DC.

lol. You're completely making that up.
My wife is amazing!

Pigskin

Quote from: Jesse on August 19, 2024, 04:47:37 PMlol. You're completely making that up.

Actually, until Wilson got injured Jones was taking a lot of reps at practice at MLB.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Jesse

Quote from: Pigskin on August 19, 2024, 04:50:10 PMActually, until Wilson got injured Jones was taking a lot of reps at practice at MLB.

Sure, but Jones is already starting. No evidence that Ayers gets the promotion.
My wife is amazing!