Bombers Playoff Chances

Started by J5V, August 10, 2024, 03:35:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J5V

Catching Calgary remains our best chance of making the playoffs. Calgary has games against the RBs, Elks, Elks, Als, Riders, BC, Elks, Ticats, and Riders. They sit at 4-5. I can see them finishing 8-10.

We have games against BC, Ticats, Riders, Riders, Elks, Elks, Ticats, Argos, and Als. We'd have to go 5-4 to finish at 8-10 to catch the Stamps. I think we can do it.

To catch BC if we finish 8-10 they'd have to go 3 and 7 the rest of the way and we'd have to have the season series against them.

With the tie the Riders got against the RBs last night they might not be catchable unless they completely collapse.
Go Bombers!

Blueforlife

I thought we would go 500 early in the season, then settled on 8 and 10.  With a little luck we will sneak in.

Jesse

I consider it a given that we pass Calgary at this point.
My wife is amazing!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: J5V on August 10, 2024, 03:35:11 AMWith the tie the Riders got against the RBs last night they might not be catchable unless they completely collapse.

If we can win LDC+BB, which is doable (if tough) then the sky is the limit.  The big question is: are SSK posers?  T.Harris is formidable, but I'm not sold on the rest of the team.  They are still weak at WR.  They also have injury issues, and their OL has been shuffled a few times.  Oullette has been a huge disappointment, to say the least: when he comes back in place of Hickson, I think it weakens them.

I think there is a real possibility we pull "a '23 MTL" and win a whole slew of games sliding into the post-season near-totally healthy.  It would be an epic comeback for the ages and a fitting segue into our home GC year.

A lot will hinge on whether Lawler coming back can help the O find their mojo.  A lot of our problems are in the head: if they start believing again, they can do anything.
Never go full Rider!

Lincoln Locomotive

Quote from: TecnoGenius on August 10, 2024, 05:15:36 AMIf we can win LDC+BB, which is doable (if tough) then the sky is the limit.  The big question is: are SSK posers?  T.Harris is formidable, but I'm not sold on the rest of the team.  They are still weak at WR.  They also have injury issues, and their OL has been shuffled a few times.  Oullette has been a huge disappointment, to say the least: when he comes back in place of Hickson, I think it weakens them.

I think there is a real possibility we pull "a '23 MTL" and win a whole slew of games sliding into the post-season near-totally healthy.  It would be an epic comeback for the ages and a fitting segue into our home GC year.

A lot will hinge on whether Lawler coming back can help the O find their mojo.  A lot of our problems are in the head: if they start believing again, they can do anything.
I do like your optimism for our beloved Bombers and I've been thinking along the same angle that if we can get healthy with two more byes later in the season we still have a shot.....albeit it's seeming like a long shot at this moment in time....But it's a shot nonetheless!   
Bomber fan for life

bomb squad

We're a game behind the 3rd place team in the West (whom we won the season series against) with 9 games left to play. That's definitely not a longshot and not even just a shot. It's right in the race for a playoff spot. 

Sir Blue and Gold

Lots to ponder. I know you can break it all down per opponent but there's half a season left and lots can change.

Calgary is still not a great football team. They're really limited on offense. Better on defense but there's only so far that team can go.

If we can't figure out a way to get one more win than they do over the next 9 games we don't deserve the playoffs.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on August 10, 2024, 01:39:35 PMLots to ponder. I know you can break it all down per opponent but there's half a season left and lots can change.

Calgary is still not a great football team. They're really limited on offense. Better on defense but there's only so far that team can go.

If we can't figure out a way to get one more win than they do over the next 9 games we don't deserve the playoffs.

I have the feeling both the Bombers and the Stamps will overtake the Riders, and all will be right in the universe again.

The Zipp

That one point the riders got gifted is huge for them. 

J5V

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on August 10, 2024, 04:05:28 PMI have the feeling both the Bombers and the Stamps will overtake the Riders, and all will be right in the universe again.
Post of the day right there.  :D
Go Bombers!

J5V

Our last game of the regular season is against the Als. If it comes down to us needing that win we could be in tough. Then again, if our goal is to win it all, which I'm sure it is, then that game would be a great test and beating the Als to make the playoffs would be a great way to start a playoff run. There is also a chance that the Als will be chilled out by then and resting starters which would also play in our favour.
Go Bombers!

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: J5V on August 10, 2024, 06:56:08 PMOur last game of the regular season is against the Als. If it comes down to us needing that win we could be in tough. Then again, if our goal is to win it all, which I'm sure it is, then that game would be a great test and beating the Als to make the playoffs would be a great way to start a playoff run. There is also a chance that the Als will be chilled out by then and resting starters which would also play in our favour.

Maybe depends if the Als have the East locked up and are resting players by then, but if they see the opportunity to kick the Bombers out of the playoff race, they may consider doing everything in their power to eliminate them early.

J5V

Go Bombers!

Lincoln Locomotive

Quote from: bomb squad on August 10, 2024, 01:25:55 PMWe're a game behind the 3rd place team in the West (whom we won the season series against) with 9 games left to play. That's definitely not a longshot and not even just a shot. It's right in the race for a playoff spot. 
Well....at 3-6 the numbers dictate the odds...there's no guarantee we won't have more injuries and if Zach goes down our "shot" will be a long shot.   If we were 5-4 I'd say we have a legitimate shot at even 2nd place however 3-6 are the numbers we need to work with at the moment.    Teams have been known to overcome these odds however it's not the norm.   
Playing BC in BC will tell us a lot about what our Bombers are made of and rest assured the Lions will be out to avenge their humiliating loss to us.   If we win, I like our chances of making up some ground on our playoff hopes.    If we lose we're a 3-7 team and definitely a long shot, just based on statistical odds staring us in the face.   
However, despite the odds, I remain ever hopeful as I have for over 60 years of being a Bomber fan.
Bomber fan for life

Jesse

Quote from: Lincoln Locomotive on August 11, 2024, 12:25:00 AMWell....at 3-6 the numbers dictate the odds...there's no guarantee we won't have more injuries and if Zach goes down our "shot" will be a long shot.   If we were 5-4 I'd say we have a legitimate shot at even 2nd place however 3-6 are the numbers we need to work with at the moment.    Teams have been known to overcome these odds however it's not the norm.   
Playing BC in BC will tell us a lot about what our Bombers are made of and rest assured the Lions will be out to avenge their humiliating loss to us.   If we win, I like our chances of making up some ground on our playoff hopes.    If we lose we're a 3-7 team and definitely a long shot, just based on statistical odds staring us in the face.   
However, despite the odds, I remain ever hopeful as I have for over 60 years of being a Bomber fan.

Looking at our record in a vacuum has zero statistical merit. It doesn't matter that we're 3-6. What matters is we're one win from being in a playoff position.

Then you take into account BC missing VAJ and we can take that series as well as potentially placing ourselves within one win of BC as well? These aren't long odds.
My wife is amazing!