Bombers Playoff Chances

Started by J5V, August 10, 2024, 03:35:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on August 11, 2024, 09:27:40 PMShouldn't be any swagger from anyone in Wpg, the team has played inconsistently this season and hasn't yet proven they don't have any stinkers left in their bag of tricks. If they can win the next 4 in a row that would demonstrate they're back on the right track. This season any playoff spot will do.

That bolded part could be applied to any team in the West Division at this point.

Not a single team in this division has demonstrated it's head and shoulders above its peers.
#forthew
лава Україні!
井の中の蛙大海を知らず
What a wretched timeline.

TBURGESS

Our playoff chances look way better now than they did 3 weeks ago. 

We only need to win one more game than Calgary in the 2nd half of the season to get the last playoff spot. 

This weeks game is huge. Win it and we only need to win one more game than BC in the second half. Lose it and we need to win 3 more games. 
Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on August 12, 2024, 01:39:08 PMThat bolded part could be applied to any team in the West Division at this point.

Not a single team in this division has demonstrated it's head and shoulders above its peers.

The difference being, nobody on a Bomber forum cares about those other teams, they're welcome to stink it up every weekend!

Jesse

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on August 12, 2024, 03:51:50 PMThe difference being, nobody on a Bomber forum cares about those other teams, they're welcome to stink it up every weekend!

It matters because, when we're looking hopeless early in the year, people were spouting off nonsense about needing to be 9-9 to make the playoffs, which just isn't true.

The 8-10 Ti-cats and 6-12 Stamps were in the playoffs last year. You just need to be one point better or have the advantage over the 4th place team.
My wife is amazing!

J5V

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on August 12, 2024, 01:39:08 PMThat bolded part could be applied to any team in the West Division at this point.

Agreed, with a caveat. The Winnipeg Blue Bomber defense has shown itself to be an elite defense, head and shoulders above and unmatched by any other in the West and perhaps only Montreal's in the East. Should the Bomber offense come alive then you'd have your team.
Go Bombers!

blue_gold_84

#forthew
лава Україні!
井の中の蛙大海を知らず
What a wretched timeline.

blue_or_die

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on August 19, 2024, 02:35:32 PMHow about now? ;D

Already planning my tailgate party in the IGAC parking lot across from Princess Auto Stadium and finding my long johns
#Ride?

ichabod_crane

The DRIVE FOR FIVE IS ALIVE LADS!! :)

TecnoGenius

Quote from: blue_or_die on August 19, 2024, 02:48:20 PMAlready planning my tailgate party in the IGAC parking lot across from Princess Auto Stadium and finding my long johns

Yup, WDF in PAS here we come!!  BC or SSK, I don't care, bring it on!

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Now is a great time for a West snapshot because all West teams have played 10 games.

Only looking at probable #1 contenders BC/SSK/WPG it appears BC has the hardest remaining games.  SSK's ia much easier.  And WPG's is the easiest of all (assuming EDM reverts to mean).

I see the remaining win counts being:

BC 3
SSK 4
WPG 5

But a ton of that will hinge on the result of LDC and BB.  Win 1 and we can still do ok, win 2 and we likely win the W.

If SSK plays as expected, and they win both games, SSK likely wins the W because of the extra 1/2 point.

But at the very least if we play up to our current level we can likely own the WSF.

Having the season series on BC & CGY will do wonders for ensuring we aren't out of the playoffs.

It's a good place to be in!  And there's always the option for SSK to be just like the last 2 seasons and finish the season with a huge losing streak.  That would mean a WPG home WDF and likely GC appearance.

Still, anything can happen!  Can't completely count out EDM and CGY.
Never go full Rider!

Blue In BC

If the Lions and Rider lose this week and the Bombers win, then we are in 2nd place closing in on 1st place.

All of those possibilities are reasonable expectations.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

The Zipp

The Bombers control their destiny at this point...first place is possible, so is last place and missing the playoffs.

win this week vs hamilton, a sweep vs the riders will be tough but possible...the battle of the "Fords" is shaping up to be epic...can you imagine our Ford getting a pick 6 off his bro??

The season is getting real fun!

Jesse

Quote from: The Zipp on August 21, 2024, 01:33:15 PMThe Bombers control their destiny at this point...first place is possible, so is last place and missing the playoffs.

win this week vs hamilton, a sweep vs the riders will be tough but possible...the battle of the "Fords" is shaping up to be epic...
 you imagine our Ford getting a pick 6 off his bro??

The season is getting real fun!

I've been talking about this since before Tre took over that starting job. I want it to happen so bad, lol.
My wife is amazing!

Waffler

Quote from: Jesse on August 12, 2024, 04:25:03 PMIt matters because, when we're looking hopeless early in the year, people were spouting off nonsense about needing to be 9-9 to make the playoffs, which just isn't true.

The 8-10 Ti-cats and 6-12 Stamps were in the playoffs last year. You just need to be one point better or have the advantage over the 4th place team.
It's a rule of thumb. Last year was an anomaly. Last year excepted, you have to go back to 2015 to find a western team finish in 3rd and be under .500 In fact, more years you need to be better than .500 than under. This year is so close that anything can still happen which is good for us.
Buried in the essentially random digits of pi, you can find your eight-digit birthdate. (Is that a wink from God or just a lot of digits?) - David G. Myers

TecnoGenius

Quote from: The Zipp on August 21, 2024, 01:33:15 PMwin this week vs hamilton, a sweep vs the riders will be tough but possible...the battle of the "Fords" is shaping up to be epic...can you imagine our Ford getting a pick 6 off his bro??

I worry more about brothers rigging games together... something much easier to do if one plays D and the other O... If the worse brother was about to lose his job, would the better brother try to make him look good??

Yes, I realize it's just me... it's just the way my mind works.  It may not be probable, but it certainly is possible!
Never go full Rider!