Rourke released, Signed by Atlanta...and released again AND SIGNS WITH BC

Started by Blue In BC, July 28, 2024, 02:45:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J5V

Quote from: TecnoGenius on August 19, 2024, 04:28:46 AMUntil then, let's bring every top-10 FA player into WPG in 2025 by giving each one a $1M marketing bonus!  Yay!
Yup! This could get real silly real fast.

BC is insisting that they are going forward with two #1 QBs this year. Big expense! It should be interesting to see how they manage this in this, their Grey Cup hosting year.
Go Bombers!

Jesse

Quote from: J5V on August 19, 2024, 04:36:43 AMYup! This could get real silly real fast.

BC is insisting that they are going forward with two #1 QBs this year. Big expense! It should be interesting to see how they manage this in this, their Grey Cup hosting year.

They're obviously going to go over the cap this year. As I hope we do next year.

But, worth noting that Rourke is only getting 250k for this year while they cut their other QB.
My wife is amazing!

TecnoGenius

Back to Rourke: he stunk!  Vegas really screwed up big time making BC the favorites.  Besides getting the run game going, Rourke was about as good as VAJ.  I guess he got 2 nice deep completions before garbage time?  Yay wunderkind!  See ya in the WDF for another crying session!

:D  :D  :D  :D

(I kid, I know he'll be good if he stays this time, but maybe not for a few games or next season.)
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Jesse on August 19, 2024, 04:42:28 AMBut, worth noting that Rourke is only getting 250k for this year while they cut their other QB.

That's why the future years are exorbitant.  It's back-loaded.  BC is Wimpy from Popeye: I'll gladly pay you $200k too much next year for a good QB today.

Rourke took it because he knew BC is completely unable to pay more this year.  BC is probably $100k over cap this year as it is with this signing.  Remember: they never put VAJ on the 6G (dumb dumb dumb!).
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Here's a question: would Dolegala have done any better vs us tonight?
Never go full Rider!

Jesse

My wife is amazing!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Jesse on August 19, 2024, 04:49:57 AMlol, nope.

But he's been with BC for the whole 11 weeks + TC/PS.  He (ostensibly) knows the play book way better than Rourke.

Ya, Dolegala sucks, but he would have been worse than do-nothing 2-INT Rourke?  Ya, maybe you're right, but I wouldn't bet money on it!
Never go full Rider!

Jesse

Quote from: TecnoGenius on August 19, 2024, 04:55:31 AMBut he's been with BC for the whole 11 weeks + TC/PS.  He (ostensibly) knows the play book way better than Rourke.

Ya, Dolegala sucks, but he would have been worse than do-nothing 2-INT Rourke?  Ya, maybe you're right, but I wouldn't bet money on it!

Rourke did better than Adams did a couple of weeks ago.
My wife is amazing!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Jesse on August 19, 2024, 04:59:59 AMRourke did better than Adams did a couple of weeks ago.

Are you sure?  Or did the BC OC and Stanback do better??  I'd say it's a close call.  If Rourke continues to play like this for the next 4 weeks I could see VAJ being put back in.
Never go full Rider!

Jesse

Quote from: TecnoGenius on August 19, 2024, 05:09:32 AMAre you sure?  Or did the BC OC and Stanback do better??  I'd say it's a close call.  If Rourke continues to play like this for the next 4 weeks I could see VAJ being put back in.

I think Stanback did better because of the Rourke factor.

I certainly don't expect Rourke to look like this after some adjustment time.
My wife is amazing!

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Jesse on August 19, 2024, 05:10:47 AMI think Stanback did better because of the Rourke factor.

I certainly don't expect Rourke to look like this after some adjustment time.

Me neither, he put up some amazing stats. in 2022 that can't be denied.

TecnoGenius

Interesting: Farhan says at 31:00 into the original WPG@BC game broadcast that:

"He did have some other teams reach out, but thought at the time was maybe he's a TC arm, maybe he's fighting for a PR spot, and he just didn't want to do that again."

That proves my point that he came to the CFL willingly, and was not out of NFL options, and (my theory) that $750k (i.e. a little extra $$) helped lure him back.  Who knows, (my theory) maybe if BC could only pay him $500k or $600k he keeps playing the NFL PR shuffle...

So now the only question left is, since there will be no half-mill SMS increase for '25, does this royally screw BC like they did bringing in Mike Reilly?  We may laugh at their mistakes and misfortune, but wouldn't it be nice if every team had another half-mill to SMS-spend?
Never go full Rider!

J5V

Quote from: Jesse on August 19, 2024, 05:10:47 AMI think Stanback did better because of the Rourke factor.
Don't forget we lost Biggie early. We missed his physical play and his play calling. He may have lost a step but he is the QB of our defense. I think we played remarkably well all things considered.
Go Bombers!

theaardvark

Brice did better in one drive than Rourke did all night... just saying.

Points after beatdown, sure.  But still.

We shut down VA, we shut down Rourke.

Next.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

ModAdmin

I was talking to one of the Bombers last night before the game and mentioned to him, "You are going to have to face Nathan Rourke tonight".  His response, "No, Rourke is going to have to face us!"

Thought is was a pretty good response and a great attitude to have.  And, the Bomber player was proven right!
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden