Should the overpaid stars restructure?

Started by TecnoGenius, June 14, 2024, 05:25:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should the overpaid stars restructure to lower salaries so we can hire the needed players?

Yes, take a bit of a pay cut so we can win again
11 (64.7%)
No, we'll take our big cheques and to heck with our record
6 (35.3%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Voting closed: June 18, 2024, 05:25:25 AM

Blueforlife

Quote from: Jesse on June 15, 2024, 05:57:00 PMAll of these things happen in the off season to free up space in FA. Signing a body for a few games at the end of the season doesn't require major restructuring.

This is a perfectly acceptable topic to bring up, just not in week 2. It's something we can debate after the season.
Perfect example of balance here.  Well said.

Blue In BC

Bombers have looked bad in the past when we lost our run game. We saw that when Harris was a Bomber and missed part or entire games. Ditto with Oliveria missing most of TC and then getting injured in game 1.

Our offence has been a balanced attack and we're lacking that at the moment. Add the fact of 2 rookie receivers, 2 changes on the OL, changes at QB and 5 or 6 newbies on defence, the team has not looked good.

Is Collaros struggling, absolutely but it is a team game and we're into a forced transition due to free agency and injuries in 2024.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

Road Griller

Quote from: Blue In BC on June 15, 2024, 04:44:39 PMAll of those great football minds are all different characters in your " head ".  Even if Rourke returns to the CFL it most likely happens for 2025 season. While several teams would be interested, none will have $600K floating round in their SMS even if they cut their starter due to advance bonus payments.

Well, sorry to burst your bubble but the people know football.  Particularly the QB position.  But you are free to believe what you want.

We can have it, release Zach, Biggie and bingo.  There it is, other vets can also be released after LD.  Remember, if he comes in for the last 9 games that is all we are paying for.

Even if we go over, pay the fine and lose the pick even if needed.  It will pay for itself 10x over.

After the flea flicker against the Al's people were streaming out of the stands and out the doors.  Those were dollar bills leaving the stands early.  Don't think for a second the brass didn't notice. 

There is an entire new generation of fans at the games now, they are used to winning, can't afford to lose them. They are not that invested yet.

Road Griller

Quote from: Blueforlife on June 15, 2024, 05:53:10 PMLike much of what you posted here thus far its your opinion not backed by facts.  You are free to post what you like but your take on things are a little over the top.  You seam to be more interested in being right and piling on than contributing to the discussion / debate.  Facts are Zach is and has been the best QB in the league for a long time.  Proven winner.  Brown has promise, Zach has the rings.  Agree with Blue In BC regarding the convos with the great football minds (in your head).  Zach has looked bad.  That doesn't mean that will continue.  Let's let the team play a number of games before we make any conclusions.  The Grey Cup is awarded in the late fall not now.  Teams prove their worth by labour day.  Bad start yes, but let's have some faith.  Injuries are our enemy at the moment.

Well, in  fairness this is a forum where people do share their opinions.  I am not the only one.  Maybe  people I talk to know the QB position?  That can also be true.  Whether you believe it or not is up to you.

Zach's last 4 games, 0 td's , 4 int's.  1-3 WL record.  Let's see what Friday brings.  Hopefully he turns it around but a little Streveler mixed it would be a welcome change IMO and may take some heat off.

Brown has a bright future in the CFL, very few disagree.  Already has the CFL record for most consecutive TD's without throwing an INT they said Thursday iirc.  Pretty impressive, I wish him all the best.

dd

Brown definitely has a bright future. I know its not the popular thing to do, but i would have kept him and let Zach go. He's on the decline, and has but a few seasons left, less at the current rate he's going. You're correct, he has looked awful in the last 4 games, and didn't look good in the Grey Cup. Hiccup or trend?? I say trend. If Rourke surfaces, we'd be absolutely foolish not to go after him, but there's another 7 teams thinking the same thing. Ironically, I think BC sticks with VAJ, I wouldn't I d dump him in a second for Rourke.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Road Griller on June 15, 2024, 07:05:39 PMWell, sorry to burst your bubble but the people know football.  Particularly the QB position.  But you are free to believe what you want.

We can have it, release Zach, Biggie and bingo.  There it is, other vets can also be released after LD.  Remember, if he comes in for the last 9 games that is all we are paying for.

Even if we go over, pay the fine and lose the pick even if needed.  It will pay for itself 10x over.

After the flea flicker against the Al's people were streaming out of the stands and out the doors.  Those were dollar bills leaving the stands early.  Don't think for a second the brass didn't notice. 

There is an entire new generation of fans at the games now, they are used to winning, can't afford to lose them. They are not that invested yet.

The people that know QB's: Miller, Walters, O'Shea and Pierce.

Go ahead and feel free to name a couple of your people that know QB's. Oh yeah, you don't like providing actual information.

Not one media big names have come close to suggesting what you are. Tick, tock, tick tock.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Blue In BC

Quote from: dd on June 16, 2024, 01:47:30 AMBrown definitely has a bright future. I know its not the popular thing to do, but i would have kept him and let Zach go. He's on the decline, and has but a few seasons left, less at the current rate he's going. You're correct, he has looked awful in the last 4 games, and didn't look good in the Grey Cup. Hiccup or trend?? I say trend. If Rourke surfaces, we'd be absolutely foolish not to go after him, but there's another 7 teams thinking the same thing. Ironically, I think BC sticks with VAJ, I wouldn't I d dump him in a second for Rourke.

Brown could be a great player in the future, not necessarily 2024. We'll see but he has talent. OTOH, it will depend on the talent around him and coaching. That hasn't been a good picture for Ottawa recently. He may not have gotten a chance to start elsewhere but there was also a negative aspect of choosing Ottawa.

I think we can understand the thought of re-signing him and trading Collaros but that was also a risk.

The Bombers didn't look great in the Grey Cup but were within 30 seconds of winning. It's still a team game.

Collaros hasn't looked good in 2 regular season games but did anyone on the team look good? I'd include some really bad coaching in game and from a very conservative strategy point of view as well.

Again, we were 1st and goal from the 7 yard line and within a minute of winning. Collaros didn't play well there was blame to spread around.

Case in point: My immediate thought on the pass to Schoen was for him to take another step forward. Chances are the DB runs right through him and draws a PI. He may have actually caught the ball still inside the goal area.

Football is a game of inches and what if's.

Fans often put to much blame on the QB for failure and too much praise for winning.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

Doublezero

Quote from: Road Griller on June 15, 2024, 07:08:34 AMNow Brown and Streveler for under 400 would have been the best case scenario for the team IMO.  Less than Zach is making alone I believe and far more productive.
Strev would not have signed with Winnipeg to back up Brown. He's here because he expects to start when Collaros is spent.
Just gimme the rock.

Road Griller

Quote from: dd on June 16, 2024, 01:47:30 AMBrown definitely has a bright future. I know its not the popular thing to do, but i would have kept him and let Zach go. He's on the decline, and has but a few seasons left, less at the current rate he's going. You're correct, he has looked awful in the last 4 games, and didn't look good in the Grey Cup. Hiccup or trend?? I say trend. If Rourke surfaces, we'd be absolutely foolish not to go after him, but there's another 7 teams thinking the same thing. Ironically, I think BC sticks with VAJ, I wouldn't I d dump him in a second for Rourke.

That's the kind of move dynasties make.  A  Huffer, Wally move.

That is why they were at the top of their game for so long, always in the hunt.  Making the tough decisions was easy for them.

Last 4 games have been not good enough, let's see what Friday has in store for Zach.  BC looked good tonight, and you are right they will stick with Big Play VA.  They have done well prepping for their GC at home.

NR would be a great addition here and help save the 2025 GC at home for us.  No question there.

Road Griller

Quote from: Blueforlife on June 16, 2024, 05:03:44 AMThe experts exist in your head.  Thanks for coming out.  Slow clap.  I have heard it all, many great football minds but none are named because of stranger danger lol.  Facts would be helpful in the future.

You are simply interested in trying to prove your narrative correct.  You have no interest in anything other than that.

Your narrative, not a single person in the world thought keeping Brown over Collaros going younger and saving SMS was a good idea for the future.

My narrative, yes people did. 

You , I want their names or it's not true and they don't exist. And you continue this circular argument.

Let's move on.  Believe what you want.  It's all good.

Friday the rubber will hit the road, let's see what they have.  It's going to be an interesting night at the stadium.  Can't wait to get there.  An upset over BC would be awesome. 

Road Griller

Quote from: Doublezero on June 16, 2024, 02:49:54 AMStrev would not have signed with Winnipeg to back up Brown. He's here because he expects to start when Collaros is spent.

This is a  possibility, or he could have bet on himself to win the job over Brown with his one year deal.

That said he will get his shot.  I think he is going to do very well, will there be rough patches?  Yes , but a steady improvement is what we need at the QB position.  He is in his prime, just needs to play to gain the valuable experience necessary to succeed.

ichabod_crane

Would be the day I'm taking one for the "team" during the season when my livelihood is at stake! Maybe if on verge of a championship I could consider it, but the ways things are right now that is not looking too good. So why should I give up cash I negotiated in good faith before the season or the year before? You are nuts if you think this is will help things. Shuttling in cast offs at the expense of veterans who have been loyal to the team. Give your head a shake! :D That's A VERY SHORT TERM thinking plan. The Manitoba Mafia has set things up for long term gains over many years. Not short term nonsense like Brandan Taman used to do.

Restructure in the off season, but not now. A stupid question to even bring up. Sure late in season bring in some vets cut from the NFL or elsewhere who can really help if you have a legitimate chance to make hay in the playoffs. As long as you make it to the show (ie: playoffs), anything can happen.

ichabod_crane

Quote from: Road Griller on June 16, 2024, 05:35:29 AMYour narrative, not a single person in the world thought keeping Brown over Collaros going younger and saving SMS was a good idea for the future.

My narrative, yes people did. 

You , I want their names or it's not true and they don't exist. And you continue this circular argument.

Let's move on.  Believe what you want.  It's all good.

Friday the rubber will hit the road, let's see what they have.  It's going to be an interesting night at the stadium.  Can't wait to get there.  An upset over BC would be awesome. 

Some people quickly forget they wanted to keep Nichols over Collaros! :D Looks laughable now and I was a VERY ARDENT supported of keep Collaros over Nichols. Was not even a question to me. You go with the WINNER who just brought you a cup and then a second one right after.

Collaros is not done, he's just rusty with the stupid pre-season plan by O'Shea and company of not playing the vets. TIMING is so crucial on offence especially. Need real game reps for that, not only practice time. Now losing Lawler does not help, Olivera banged up. Schoen has not done much. Wolitarski and the new WR probably the best receivers so far.

Biggie looked pretty good back in. D line got some good pressures last game and sacks. It WILL come around I predict. This is just not the year of wall to wall of a first place ride. Just need to ride the wave and even if they go nowhere this year, next year with the home GC is really what Walters should be aiming for longer term. Use that year to REALLY build up your war chest for future down years as you can't win every year even though in theory you want to! ;)

Maybe Zach can convince his best bud Travis Kelce to show up for a few games later in the year!! :) A big tight end to plow over puny linebackers!  :D Run the old Vince Lombardi sweep of the Packers! ;)

TecnoGenius

Quote from: ichabod_crane on June 16, 2024, 06:24:07 AMWould be the day I'm taking one for the "team" during the season when my livelihood is at stake! Maybe if on verge of a championship I could consider it, but the ways things are right now that is not looking too good. So why should I give up cash I negotiated in good faith before the season or the year before?

Many of you are caught up on the "restructures are only in FA!" point.  Is there anything in CFL CBA that stops it?  No?  Then it's a valid option.

And you proved the point above saying you wouldn't do it except "maybe if on the verge of a championship"!  So a team/player could consider it in-season, as per your own words.

Bighill (and many others across the league) have done the very thing of take "one for the team", many times.  Biggie allowed restructuring of his salary down massively in the last few seasons.  Remember: highest paid D player for a short time!  When he saw his performance couldn't match the pay (for whatever reason) and he wanted his team to win rather than lose, he took big pay cuts.  And it helped him too: it's not just altruism.  It extended his life here and allowed him to become a fixture, franchise guy and fan fave.

The "when" here is important because only in-season adjustments will help our SMS right now.  And we need help right now.

If the $200k+ crowd each relieve $10k, that's like $50k we can tack onto an otherwise-ELC guy, meaning we can sign a mid-high vet IMP on DL instead of 4th string TC cuts.  $10k on $200k is 5%.  Dudes can't sacrifice 5% of an arguably bloated salary to go from LOSER to WINNER?  If we keep this up, they'll be losing $10k in playoff/GC money anyhow.

Quote from: ichabod_crane on June 16, 2024, 06:24:07 AMYou are nuts if you think this is will help things. Shuttling in cast offs at the expense of veterans who have been loyal to the team. Give your head a shake! :D That's A VERY SHORT TERM thinking plan. The Manitoba Mafia has set things up for long term gains over many years. Not short term nonsense like Brandan Taman used to do.

As I've pointed out many times, cast-offs secured the 2019 GC win.  Aging vet cast-offs like Ellingson helped get us to cups in subsequent years.  Lemon and Sankey were unwanted cast-offs in 2023 too.  How'd that work out for the team that found the SMS to sign them?

Answer why you think 4th string TC cuts are better than some of the best cast-offs and couch-sitters out there (immediately, and/or by vet cutdown day)?

And you didn't read or understand my proposition.  I'm not saying you take our superstars aside and say "restructure or you're cut".  No, I'm saying they talk among themselves, or we whisper the idea in their ears, and they go to KW and say "if we took a small cut will that help the team buy some quality vet players"?  It would be the players doing it to win, with no force or coercion.

Besides what I've suggested, I've yet to hear anyone coming up with an alternative idea to free up enough SMS to buy some Lemon/Sankey level quality.  Is everyone's idea really to roll with 4th stringer TC cuts?  When they get injured, then we hit up the 5th stringers??

I'm not saying my idea is ideal, or feasibly, or even good.  But it is an idea, and it can be done very quickly, and could lead to real results.  I doubt it'll occur, but at least it got the conversation about personnel improvement going!
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Doublezero on June 16, 2024, 02:49:54 AMStrev would not have signed with Winnipeg to back up Brown. He's here because he expects to start when Collaros is spent.

I'm 100% in agreement.  He's clearly the starter if Zach gets injured, and he's 100% sitting in the heir-apparent seat.  At worst he waits until 2026 when him & Zach win the cup at home in 2025.  Zach will finally (probably) be too old to keep going in '26.
Never go full Rider!